PDA

View Full Version : Mods

Slapasack
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
What are some other mods i could do without really doin a lot of motor work?

Slapasack
08-24-2008, 12:14 AM
most recent

drew416ex
08-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Suspension. Its surprising how much faster you can go just by changing suspension. No it doesnt make the quad actually go faster, but it allows you to ride at a faster pace.

REDRIDDER
08-24-2008, 08:35 AM
drew416ex is absolutely right if I had to do it all over again Id buy an aftermarket suspension pipe and filter first.

08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I have more performance mods than my brother but he can go faster over bump and whoops because of that Works rear shock he bought. His rear tires stay on the ground while mine will bounce off of things and you can hear it, my engine will be steady then it will rev high because the wheels arent on the ground anymore on the whoops. We are about equal now that I have 450r front shocks and once I get all 3 shocks done... its a lost cause for my brother to try and race me lol

Honda#4
08-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Shoot for doing suspension first, then if your not ready to dig in the motor quite yet chang the gearing if you want to. Do all the cosmetic crap later so you dont end up wasting money on that when suspension and motor work matter more.

Remember that performance wins races looks doesn't.

08-24-2008, 09:54 AM
if you want some free HP mods do these:

-remove the choke, install a 42 pilot and cover up the hole
-remove the airbox lid, rejet maybe a 150 or 152 main
-grind down your header welds

do not drill your baffle or take it out because it sounds like crap lol

Slapasack
08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
ya ive geared it down and i have a filter and im getting exhaust soon i just wasnt sure what to do after that but suspension sounds like a good idea and foxhondarider what would grinding down the header welds do?

08-24-2008, 10:32 AM
they dont make a gain that you can really feel and say wow. Mine werent bad to begin with so i didnt do all that much grinding but heres what happens, basically you improve the flow by grinding them down as you can see from this picture...

08-24-2008, 10:33 AM

tri5ron
08-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Like the others have said,...
upgrade your shocks first. your rear stock shock is ok for most riding, but changing the front pogo sticks, is definetly a top priority.

next I'd say, look into the CNC Steering stabilizer. It works fabulous. (there is a good thread on here about it, do a search on CNC)

Once you get you header and intake picked out, be sure to jet it properly, and then check out the Sparks Advance key. it is a simple mod, Cheap, Easy, and huge improvement in throttle responce. (I did a pictoral "how to" on my install, do a search on Sparks Key, and you'll find it)

The next mods I'll be doing to mine is,
Vapor Computer,...
Bike to bike 2-way radios W/helmet mic and speakers,...
and Stage 1 Hot cam....

Welcome to the A.A.D.S. disease, it's terminal, there is no cure. We hold Group Support Meetings here, on the Sixth Sunday of each month. we will be looking for you there....

Slapasack
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
would 450r shocks be sufficient and the sparks advance key does something to the timing right?

tri5ron
08-24-2008, 11:51 PM
450R shocks are quite sufficient, especially in the 'Bang for your Buck' category.

Just back the spring tension all the way off,...
(for stock length 400ex A-arms),
and set the compression, and rebound adjustments according to your weight, and riding style.
(read the threads on 450R shocks, install, and adjustments).

The Sparks key advances your timing 6 degrees.
(this means your spark plug fires 6 degrees sooner than stock).
the improvement in throttle responce is actually very impressive.

and the best thing about both of these mods is that you will not be compromising any of the reliability that the 400EX is known for.