PDA

View Full Version : fully built 250r for my 440ex!?

rideracelivemx7
08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
so i happened to come across an add for a 250r that was fully built and he wanted a trade. and me being an *** just called and said hey why not just ask if he wants a 440 even though he was asking for a 450 and up. i asked, ands hes actually interested and wants to see it!! he has a fully built esr 310r +4 axel and swinger and +2 a arms. nothing is stock execpt the frame and stem. everything is new and or was rebuilt. not to mention its stroked:cool: he wasnt joking either and actually might take it. so i might loose a bullet proof beast for the legend 250r.

Hondamaster5505
08-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Call me biased, but I love 2-strokes.

I would trade my ex in a heartbeat for a 250r. 4-pokers are lame. My fo-hundy is fun and all, and quick, but doesn't compare to a 250r.

klutch
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
wow... world must be coming to an end for once i agree with eric... lol I would have a chosen a nice mx 250r over any mx 400ex any day of the week lol but not over my 450r no wayyyy! lol

HondaRaceReady
08-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I would trade if he'll actually do it. If I was trying to get a 2 stroke though I would get a 92 lt250r. They got a powervalve and 6 speed transmission. Better than a 250r.

Hondamaster5505
08-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by klutch
wow... world must be coming to an end for once i agree with eric... lol I would have a chosen a nice mx 250r over any mx 400ex any day of the week lol but not over my 450r no wayyyy! lol

hahaha.

HondaRaceReady
The lt250r's are nothing to rave about. Have a bery tall feeling and doesn't handle nearly as good as the 2 fiddy r. And the 250r has powervalves also.

REDRIDDER
08-24-2008, 08:40 AM
HONDA 250R all the way!!!! although my very first quad was a 1986 Suzuki quad racer LT250R.

dynofox
08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
hahaha.

HondaRaceReady
The lt250r's are nothing to rave about. Have a bery tall feeling and doesn't handle nearly as good as the 2 fiddy r. And the 250r has powervalves also.

A stock 250r does not have a power valve / exhaust valve. The tecate 3 86-87, tecate 4 and 87-92 250 quadracers had exhaust valves though.

The 250r is a better choice over the lt R IMO, more aftermarket support and better handling chassis.

rideracelivemx7
08-24-2008, 09:08 AM
i grew up on dirtbikes, alwasy 2 strokes. i loved to eff around on 4 pokers and rip donuts and wheelies but lets face it the 400 isnt exactly race material and couldnt catch up to much. its a great bike dont get me wrong but its not the fastest of machines unless you dump tons of money into it. i cant take a 4 stroke serious enough, i think there to much fun, but a nice 250r will whip me back into shape on what i think about quads lol. because i love my yz250 and a built domed jetted piped stroked 310r will crush the yz lol. ill let you guys know on tuesday, thats his only day off

Ruby Soho
08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
2 strokes are fun. but id rather ride a 4 stroke any day of the week. i like torque

rideracelivemx7
08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
its just my riding style a 2 stroke will take a 4 poke anyday of the week. my riding style is balls to the walls go fast. yeah a 4 stroke will put you in your seat but 2 strokes are basically legends. the power is so much better. yeah they lack down low but 4 strokes are made for that. with a turbo and tons of money yeah you can take a 2 stroke lol. I will miss my build if it goes. just stinks that you can't really do much to a 2 stroke. reeds pipe and boring it. sure there's some other oddsa and ends but therres a lot more on the 4strokes

MtnEX
08-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm an old-schooler... I was riding 2 stroke quads when they were rolling off showroom floors new. I've been a pilot of all of them... Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Honda's....

That being said, I actually caught myself buying a classified paper and searching for a CR250R donor bike about a week ago... and started finding some before I really fully realized what I was doing.

So I have found out that it is pretty easy to loose track of why I bought the 400EX in the first place.

The 2 strokes are waaayyy out there beyond the 400EX, and have so much more massive response to mods, and are a lot of fun to ride.... except on the tight woods trails I find myself riding a lot these days.

I think my 2 stroke Sport 400 makes me forget some of the negatives of 2-bangers. It has the 2 stroke rip, but is somewhat refined into a different animal by large stock displacement, mild tuning, auto tranny.... plus 100lbs of extra weight and lousy suspension that keeps you away from doing certain things on it.

The moral of my story is that I probably should have focused on torque mods on the YFZ450 or one of the other 450's... or done suspension mods on a 700R (lower ride) instead of trying to mod a 400EX.

The YFZ is gone though, and I fear I'm in too deep on the 400EX already to ever break out even to try something else.

MtnEX
08-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by dynofox
A stock 250r does not have a power valve / exhaust valve. The tecate 3 86-87, tecate 4 and 87-92 250 quadracers had exhaust valves though.

The 250r is a better choice over the lt R IMO, more aftermarket support and better handling chassis.

These days... oh yes by far the 250R is the safest route to take.

Back in the day though... each of the 3 had their points... 6 of 1, half dozen of another...

Tecate 4... straightline rip
LT250R..... hard cornering
250R........ well rounded handling chassis

What you'd rather be on depended on the course you were racing... and what your skill-set or fearlessness/stupidity consisted of... LOL

rideracelivemx7
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
update! most likely getting the 250r. the frame is all painted and all new a arms and swinger and axel tires and such. the plastics are beat and it has a clarks extended tank. EW but he likes my quad and hes coming to see it this tuesday,next week that is. he saw my bike on youtube and likes it. so woo im getting a 250r! of workitll need a little bit what do you guys think? oh yeah the seat cover is nasty. its all ripped. so what do you guys think? get a few pictures in probley tomorro

rideracelivemx7
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
1-4

rideracelivemx7
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
it needs some tlc

rideracelivemx7
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM

rideracelivemx7
08-26-2008, 09:17 PM
it needs some cleaning, plastics and a seat cover. it has a fresh motor, paint and suspension and what not. good deal? if i can make the 4 hundey look as good as it does now from what it was, i can work magic on this. i was thinking a candy apple red frame and white plstics=]

MtnEX
08-27-2008, 02:07 AM
What's with the long swinger?

From the pics it looks like you would be in an area where you'd ride woods.

Looks like the quad is more set for sand drags?

Hondamaster5505
08-27-2008, 06:50 AM
it definitely needs a major cleaning...

If it run's, drives, feels solid and smooth, and doesn't have any play in any of the bearings/bushings, then do it.

But tell him, that you would like $250 on top of the 400ex because the plastics are beat, and the seat covers ripped.

That way you can buy some plastics:D

powermadd400ex
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
What's with the long swinger?

From the pics it looks like you would be in an area where you'd ride woods.

Looks like the quad is more set for sand drags?
back when the 250rs were the prime race quads, riders put longer swingers on the 250r especially. because when you pop a clutch on those beasts you better have all you weight on the front or your gunna be on ur back.
but that swingarm is slightly longer than most 250rs ive seen that is set up for MX. so idk
i agree with hondamaster. ask for extra cash since your quad is 100x better COSMETIC condition than his quad. actually i would ask for 500 bucks along with 400ex. the extra money after you buy the plastics you can put back for anything that might go wrong with the quad that is unexpected. jus my 2cents :D

rideracelivemx7
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
actually i was so excited about hte trade i forgot to tellyou guys, its clean new paint, new plastics and new exhaust. thoes are really old pictures. so its actually mint. were looking at the bieks this monday most likely, and he wants my bike. so its almost etched in stone :D

powermadd400ex
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
actually i was so excited about hte trade i forgot to tellyou guys, its clean new paint, new plastics and new exhaust. thoes are really old pictures. so its actually mint. were looking at the bieks this monday most likely, and he wants my bike. so its almost etched in stone :D

you are one lucky sum' ***** :p

rideracelivemx7
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
just i need to find a 440 gasket kit soon. and fast theres a small leak on the head gasket now because i got cocky one day and wanted to feel the rev limiter in every gear and i ended up blowing the gasket. you cant tell, tehres no loss in power but after a long day of riding it starts to leak a little oil

REDRIDDER
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
actually i was so excited about hte trade i forgot to tellyou guys, its clean new paint, new plastics and new exhaust. thoes are really old pictures. so its actually mint. were looking at the bieks this monday most likely, and he wants my bike. so its almost etched in stone :D just for my satisfaction can I see these pics of what it looks like now? thanks.

rideracelivemx7
08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
he doesnt have the current pictures thats why. but when i go see it monday night, ill take some pictures and get them on here soon. i cantr wait to see it. if i do get it, the light is the first thing thats coming off lol

REDRIDDER
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Did you get any pics? thanks.

represent618
09-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I would stay away from that bone-yard if I were you, but that is just my opinion. I would not want the upkeep that thing has odviously been neglected of to come out of my pocket!

rideracelivemx7
09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
lol I wouldn't dsay bone yard ha. that's an 800$ swing arm brandnew and new 2inch extended a arms. new woekd shocks and paint. brand newesr built 310. cool head and 38mm carb. new 4inch extended axel and new tires. it needed nerw plastics and seat cover. all bewarings were new and it effing ripped. I had to hold the hell on. it was so fast. he called it the banshee killer. he never lost to one

REDRIDDER
09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
well pics? this dude wants to trade with me and I was wondering what it looked like?

rideracelivemx7
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
actually that is ythe up to date picture. just a lot cleaner. it looks beat right there but its not. the seat cover was nasty. im really bummed I didn't get the bike. I was looking forward to a 2 stroke quad a lot more than this crappy 4 poke lol im bored with it

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't think he give's a rats arse about the tires.

He probably didn't like it, and wasn't what he expected, so he probably used that as an excuse and to try not to make you feel bad.

REDRIDDER
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
lol I was just busting balls he doesn't want to trade me lol I was just wanting to see what it looked liked now hahaha.

rideracelivemx7
09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
well it doesn't help i forgot to tel him the front breaks were suposed to pumped and held for a second and he was in 5th trying to keep up to me and we came up to a tight corner fallowed by a drop to a parkinglot lol he was scared ****less haha. he said he bdidnt want to put money into the bike. he just wanted to get a bike and run it with out problems. other than that heb loved it

represent618
09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
IE: He is tired if sinking money into that rattle-trap 250r and is looking to trade it for a 400ex so he can ride without cost of maintenance, he will find a sucker.

banshee killer, of course it is, but that doesn`t mean that it isn`t a money-pit, believe me....keep looking dude, that 250r has seen better days....about 7300 to be exact.

he said he bdidnt want to put money into the bike. he just wanted to get a bike and run it with out problems.