PDA

View Full Version : Slow jet questions

tobyp
08-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I searched through the forums for a question that I did not seem to find the answer for, so.... When Jetting and the purchase of a jet kit does the slow jet come with the kit? Also which kits do or do not come with the slow jet. If the slow jets are not included with kits where may they be purchased from. Is there a better jet kit than others? And lastly, if the slow jets do not come with the kits why wouldnt the manufactures include them?

leasureryan
08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
please don't buy a jet kit!!!.....only reason to buy a jet kit is A. If your carb doesn't have an adjustable needle, you can get one in the kit, but even then....that one jet they send you may be completely wrong. How can anybody justify grouping all quads and modifications, elevation, temps, etc etc. You can't just toss a bigger jet in and be like "welp......good to go"....cuz that ain't gettin it!

Go buy jets individuly from your local dealer. Just ask for a Kehine long hex 165, or 168, or whatever you need. They cost $4.95.....they also sell pilots there....which most likely won't come in a jet kit. You will need 1 or 2 sizes bigger. They go for $5.95. Also....you should take your current jets with you.....there is a big selection, and many style. Not every counter guy will know exactly which jets you need, nor does the parts fiche tell you which style...only stock sizes

Sorry...I work at Mid-Ohio Honda....I deal with this stuff all day long......habit

And the answer to your original question is......they don't come with them because they are somewhat of a gimmick!

tobyp
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called my local Honda dealer here in Cincinnati and they do not have a clue. I will attempt to call other dealers in town to find someone knowledgable on parts. If it comes down to it and need to get some jets from you can I call your dealership and get fixed up?

leasureryan
08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
hell yes I will help you......Give me your exact mods list...and I will send you whatever jets I think will get you where you need to be. Most times with just a simple slip on and air box mod...you will be right around a 158-160 main....and a 40 or 42 pilot. I will charge you for the jets, and $2.00 for a USPS envelope, and ship it to you same day. I work at Mid-Ohio Suzuki (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha...yeah...we do it all.....lol). I don't know the phone number off the top of my head...cuz I never have to call there...lol.....but jump on our web site....mid-ohio.com....get our number. Call me on Monday...My name is Ryan...I work in the parts dept.....extension 2 when you call

or I could just mail them from here....I have a ton of jets....lol Paypal?

bjg696
08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Question for you leasureryan? All my mods are listed below, i have a 175 main, 42 pilot, and needle clip in the middle(3rd position). and its still running lean. what do you think i should try. My friend helps me witth the tunning. but what do you suggest to do?

leasureryan
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I would go up atleast to a 185 main...and see how it runs....if there is power loss or bogging/stumble....head back down slowly.

The best thing about switching mains is that the carb doesn't have to be removed....just remove the 17mm bowl plug on bottom og carb, unscrew main jet using a 6mm...or standard bit driver out of any ole' screw gun...and toss a bigger main in. Litteraly takes under 2 minutes to complete this process. Go for a test ride, if it runs like a turd, go back down in jet size, if it's strong, and you can tell it's not to rich, but it still has a stumble/or bogg...try tuning the needle.

bjg696
08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Can a stock 400ex carb be tuned that far, or would a 450r carb be better? Just a question, b/c i have tuned this carb so much and nothing seems to change..

leasureryan
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
dude....you are just not tuning it enough...if it's lean..go bigger.

I just read that you had a 440 12.5-1. I would say that with port/polish, cam 440 12.5 to one....you should have like a 45 or 48 pilot....180-190+ main....that thing should be drinking the fuel. You won't belive the improvements. It can be tuned to run just fine......but yes....installing a $170 450R carb would be your best bet. Toss some bigger mains and pilot in for now.....then buy the 450R carb when you get the money for the carb, and one of those adapters ZRpilot makes.

matter of fact.....bring your quad to me and I will jet it for free......it won't be the same machine when I'm done!....lol

leasureryan
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
My motor is bone stock everything....just has HMF full system...EHS air lid, uni filter. WHen I had my 400ex carb on...it was at 42 pilot, 168 main. Now with my 450r carb...at a 190 main 48 pilot....and it may still be lean, but runs super strong, getting Dyno'd Wednesday to jet it in perfect, and get some HP readings. Keep in mind....BONE STOCK INTERNALS....and sucking this much fuel!

Keep in mind too dude.....with that 12.5-1 piston....you need to run straight race fuel...or a mix at the least

bjg696
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Yea i am running strait 110 octane in it. So a 185 should be getting me close with a 42 pilot. I will be gettn a 450r carb asap. What kind of adapter do i need? and also that might be the reason its running so hot.