PDA

View Full Version : 07 ex Yoshimura Pipe & KN filter

tobyp
08-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I am ordering the full Yoshimura rs-3 exhaust from Rocky Mountain for my 07 ex. I am also ordering the K&N filter. I was wanting to know if anyone out there has a similiar setup and what jets they chose. I see many threads about rejetting and am curious when purchasing a jetting kit do the slow jets come with the kits and if they do not where are they purchased from? I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and ride all over the midwest, primarially a trail rider.

krt400ex
08-23-2008, 05:27 PM
i got a yoshi full system for mine and i went with OEM brand jets. 155 main, 42 pilot, and fuel screw is 2&3/4 turns out. hope this helps.

tobyp
08-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i got a yoshi full system for mine and i went with OEM brand jets. 155 main, 42 pilot, and fuel screw is 2&3/4 turns out. hope this helps.

Thanks,

2-3/4 turns out. I assume that you bottom the mixture screw than measure your turn?

krt400ex
08-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by tobyp
Thanks,

2-3/4 turns out. I assume that you bottom the mixture screw than measure your turn?
\

yes. that is something that you might have to play with. this setting is what worked for me, but depending on elevation and weather your setting may be different.

lilyamaharacer4
08-24-2008, 03:41 PM
DO NOT GET A K&N. The are a real pain in the ***** to clean, let dirt through easier, and lastly are way more expensive than a uni and a twin air.

08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
DO NOT GET A K&N. The are a real pain in the ***** to clean, let dirt through easier, and lastly are way more expensive than a uni and a twin air.

here we go again another filter bash thread. K&N are super simple to clean thats the reason I got 1. They are more expensive but they are quality. yes they flow more but when accompanied by an outerwear they stop more than my foam filter did. It all depends on what you ride in. With a foam filter for me dust and sand would end up going through and my filter would be so clogged by the end of 1 ride it would choke the motor out and start to run crappy.

leasureryan
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
In my opinion....(and we are all alowed to have one...doesn't mean I am starting a bash thread on K&N) I would only ever use foam filters. And FoxHonda....you do the exact opposite as us guys who don't like K&N....so what makes you any differant than us? You talk them up....we talk up foam filters.....who cares.

MtnEX
08-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Good.... I don't have to start another thread....

I have a full Yoshi system mated with a K&N.

I didn't want to take forever and a day to research and decide myself what pipe and filter I wanted to go with. So I took some suggestions just to see what kind of feedback I would get...

I just wanted to have it 'hooked up' with a pair that would work well together.... and I would have likely went with Sparks had I known they had both like they do, and done it myself. But I didn't.

Anyways, I was caught off-guard by the Yoshi suggestion because I had always just associated them with Suzuki. So I figured that was an honest suggestion v/s a suggestion just because they sell it... ya know?... and I also liked the way it mounted high on the bike, so I went that route.

So now I have a Yoshi system and a K&N filter, and no idea on the jetting.

Now I have 6 issues I need to deal with...

1- My plug is BLACK... dry black and just a little gunk near the threads. So my unknown jetting is RICH.

2- My top plate screws on the carb are FUBAR.

3- My pipe joints have exhaust leaks

4- My header has baked on mud I want to remove somehow

5- My heat shield is already missing and I don't know where to get one

6- The inside of my silencer is all sooty and I want to clean it up. The screws are allens at the tip. One rounded out, so I tried a different style wrench on the next and the tip of it broke off in the screw head. WTF??? Why is it so tight I can't get it apart?

So I have re-learned again that if you want something done right, you might want to do it yourself. I'm new to the EX, so I have to learn how to do it myself I guess.

The screws on the carb are no problem... already have them out, just need new. But the exhaust screws worry me. I need advice there, and on what to use to clean this exhaust outside and inside. I'll want to put it back together without leaks also, so what do I need to do there?

On the jetting... I have the K&N in the stock airbox setup. It's working well, and I like the high snorkel idea for water crossings. But I might be persuaded to try other more risky things if external carb adjustments won't cure the richness.

What do you guys think?...
Will a carb screw setting cure the richness?
Or will other airbox options let more air in to cure it?
Or will I have to go into the jetting?

Ruby Soho
08-25-2008, 07:10 AM
you might need to mess with the jettign but the a/f might cure it. try it.

to fix the exhaust leak order up some new copper gaskets for the header and carefully remove the old ones.

the mud will come off with a wire brush.

order the heat shield through bikebandit or another place like that, or the dealer just provide the part #

the exhaust cap is hard because it gets hot, its steel, expand-contract-expand-contract etc.. im not sure how to get them out because i can't see them but its possible

MtnEX
08-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, I solved the carb screws issue.

I took one to the hardware and used the identifier to find out what to get. For anyone else that ever runs into this, the top screws are M4- .70 and M4- .70 x 10 is the maximum length you can use (with a washer/lockwasher for spacing).

I bought the pan head slotted and the hex head too.

I went with the pan head slotted (flat screwdriver) and one lockwasher under each.

My main exhaust leak is where the silencer mates to the pipe, and then I have another small one where the pipe mates to the header.

Where/how can I get the stuff to fix this on a Yoshi system?
(larger than stock diameter)

MtnEX
08-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I put in a fresh plug, removed the airbox lid, then ran it a while and read the plug.

It's dry black everywhere, but has a brown tint to it on the center electrode.

Better, but still rich.