PDA

View Full Version : CF frame?

Creech52
08-22-2008, 08:49 PM
So I was pondering the other day, you can make common matterials alot stronger by wrapping them with Carbon fiber right? (ref. smash lab hurricane house) So why doesnt a company do like a thin wall chromemoly or aluminum frame then wrap it in carbon fiber. The end result would be a super light frame thats pretty indistructible. The only issue is if the metal began to crack you wouldnt know until the CF failed. I know Rs are pretty much too old school for a company to use this technology on, but for the new race bikes this could be the hot ticket....Im also thinking why did I just let out this great idea for some lurker to come and steal and make millions off of, ohwell.

fastrnrik
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Eko racing is building (or maybe has it done by now?) a complete carbon fiber frame for a drag bike. I beleive he told me it was for a Banshee.

mxduner
08-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Creech52
So I was pondering the other day, you can make common matterials alot stronger by wrapping them with Carbon fiber right? (ref. smash lab hurricane house) So why doesnt a company do like a thin wall chromemoly or aluminum frame then wrap it in carbon fiber. The end result would be a super light frame thats pretty indistructible. The only issue is if the metal began to crack you wouldnt know until the CF failed. I know Rs are pretty much too old school for a company to use this technology on, but for the new race bikes this could be the hot ticket....Im also thinking why did I just let out this great idea for some lurker to come and steal and make millions off of, ohwell.
I'm surprised this idea has not been introduced in drag cars or even mx bikes, even though they have weight restrictions. Good thinking, i'm all for that in a r frame, which would make them even more light than a 450... hey settle people, they already have 20 years of technology and 200cc's on us, bout time we get some of their handicap back:D

LONG-ROD
08-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I think you have to have certain amount of ridgidness to a frame, carbon fiber is not ridged, and motocross bikes are a whole nother can of worms.