PDA

View Full Version : my own media blasting

kjbula
08-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Pappy,

I have access to a blasting booth and would like to blast my own frame, subframe, a-arms, and swingarm to lower the cost of PC'ing these items. Does this work for you or would the surface rust, likely to occur on the frame, be a problem?

Also, If the frame is a prob., I have a guy in my neck of the woods who will do the frame for $65-$85, but he is limited on color options due to his business practice (large trucking services = no fancy colors, black is best). Not to give away any trade secrets, but if I bought 2 lbs. of Trans blue, would it be enough for him to do my frame, subframe and lower arms? If you have a problem answering this question, I understand.

Also, can I get a quote on my upper arms (+2) and swingarm (+1.25) in silvervein, these will be blasted prior to shipping. Please include shipping to Ohio 44004.

I will be sending some smaller parts for stealth black but not till fall.

e-mail me anytime, kjbula@yahoo.com

Thanks-
Kyle

Pappy
08-22-2008, 09:55 PM
It really depends on if its worth it....as long as it arrives with no flash rust and I can lightly sand it and coat, then yes it will save you $45 If $45 is worth it to you to do it yourself, and you know that there could be a chance I have to have it blasted again anyway, then knock yourself out:p

2 pounds will do the frame and sub and quite a few other parts, dont forget you will also need chrome for the base. If your friend feels confident in doing that color then by all means exploit the oppertunity!! The only thing I will suggest is to make sure he knows what he is doing, I know alot of industrial coaters that screw up candy colors because they dont do them often enough to get good at them.

upper arms $25
Swinger $50
Both will recieve clearcoat

let me know how it all turns out for you!