PDA

View Full Version : I need help from the EX Riders!!!!

atvmbaca
12-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Wondering if anybody can help me, I just went ridding yesterday and I noticed my 400ex was bogging alittle in the bottom to mid range at lower rpms, after I got done ridding I checked my spark plug and it looked like a darker cream color not completely white
which means it is running rich would this cause it to bog I thought If it was too rich it would cause it to bog it runs good in the higher rpms. What was realyy weard was 3 weeks ago I went ridding at the same place and it was more dusty out because the gound wasnt moist and I checked my plug and filter out at that time and the filter was dirty and my plug was a little black, which I can understand for it to bog alittle in the bottom then, but know my filter was clean and my plug is alittle white shouldent it be more responsive no since it is running lean know, could it be a electrical problem Iam lost at this point can someone help my poor ?!#@$ out, thanks for any comments (Current set up yoshi slip on 38pilot 2.5 turns out needle clip on fourth notch and a 152 main with a uni filter and no air box lid)

tprender
12-07-2002, 06:50 PM
How are you checking your plug? If you are just taking it out when stopped, is not the correct way to read a plug. Did you clean your air filter? that would cause it to bog if dirty. Was the temp about the same? Was it the same gas? A bog in the bottom to mid is the pilot or needle, not the main.
The base for a 400 is a 40 pilot, 2 1/2 on the air screw, and the clip in the middle. this is a good starting point and you find tune from there.

Ryan
12-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by tprender
How are you checking your plug? If you are just taking it out when stopped, is not the correct way to read a plug. Did you clean your air filter? that would cause it to bog if dirty. Was the temp about the same? Was it the same gas? A bog in the bottom to mid is the pilot or needle, not the main.
The base for a 400 is a 40 pilot, 2 1/2 on the air screw, and the clip in the middle. this is a good starting point and you find tune from there.

Yeah try that first. Make sure you changed your plug. You could of just fowled it. It is a good possibility that it might be an eletrical problem. After you tried what tprender said, Go and start disconnecting some wires like lights, kill switch ect. You could of shorted something out and that could cause it to bog. If it runs better with one of the wires deattached then you will need a new wire. If you changed your plug and it just turns black right away then you could be leaking motor oil in your gas. I had this happen to my quad, there is a gasket separating the motor from the transmission so no gas or motoroil is mixed. Check that last though! I personally thing it could be your jetting but it could be anything.

TRX_Thumper
12-08-2002, 06:59 AM
no dont go screwin with your wiring 400ex's very seldom have electrical problems..u just have a jetting issue....stick a 40 pilot in there and set the needle to the middle postion...u dont have to put a 40 in it...but would start easier and u said it was running a little lean on the very bottom...but just put the needle in the middle position and tell us what happens then

quadman
12-08-2002, 07:44 AM
help from exriders??????? who are they?

12-08-2002, 03:44 PM
try a 40 or 42 pilot

atvmbaca
12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
What is the correct way to check the plug,and since it is running so lean now, wouldent not tend to bog since it is running hot. I would think it would be alittle bit more responsive because it is not getting alot of gas I dont know!

12-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Since I am working on my jetting also i deff feel your frustration but keep working on it cause it does feel good when you start getting it right and the power comes on.

I am thinking you may be mixing up a rich "bog" with a lean "starvation" problem. If its not getting enough fuel on a lower jet circuit it could be mimicing a bog. Sometimes its hard to get this stuff straight cause its such a fine line if your running on the lean side.

I know it easy to confuse when you loose power or even just get a little hesitation and previous what I thought was a rich jetting prob ended up being a lean pilot.

One suggestion is to try to work or make changes one jet at a time so you dont get into problems like I have, but then again that can be the better way to remember :)

atvmbaca
12-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Thank you all