PDA

View Full Version : may be switching

ltrracer
08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
ok, i will go ahead and apologize now if this is a repeat thread or what not so sorry. I currently race an LTR in pro am and i have been thinking of switching to a kfx because of a sponsorship. I need to know about the power, handling, weight, problems, and everything else that i need to know about this quad. Are you guys happy with yours? I also want to know more about this kick start kit you can get for it because if i do get a kfx i will def get the kicker. Thanks for all your info

450raider
08-22-2008, 10:28 AM
okay well im no racer but what i can tell you as an average trail rider is,
Power - explosive bottom up to mid, needs help up top with the mods...
Handling - i wish i could say ive owned/ridden every 450 to tell ya but i cant, what i can say is stock it feels more stable than any stock R or yfz ive ridden and is about at par with my bros r with +2's (junky +2 so take it for what its worth)....
Weight - pretty light with all the stuff on it, the high subframe can make lifting awkward feeling and make it seem heavy at times....
Problems - none kawi really did their homework with this one (it took forever to come out) ill just say i think the stock rear tires suck and youll have people look and find something wrong and complain about the hard seat....

and yeah ive been happy with it, last year i was penciled in to get an ltr for months but when i found out the kfx came at like $200 more i jumped on it.. money well spent!! hope this somewhat helped

ltrracer
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
ya it kinda helped somewhat, all the stuff you mentioned im going to be replacing anyway, if i do get a kawi with this deal im working on ill be getting two of them and then instantly dropping prolly 20 grand in each one, i just want to know if i drop all this money in one am i gonna get left in the dust or am i gonna be able to win, ya know? I know creamer hauls *** on one but schumaker and little arent doing very good and thats a factory ride, so i didnt know if it was the riders or the bikes

topdollr
08-22-2008, 01:00 PM
^ I would lean to rider more the machine. Shoot stick Wimmer on any quad and he would still be out front.

These quads are a nice choice.

Let us know what you do.

08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I was in the same position as you. i was coming off a yfz looking into the ltr and the kfx. Ltr is way better stock for stock handling wise. but if your replacing that either way i feel the kfx will have the edge. Now i ride alot on rev limiter and like the hard hitting powerband like my yfz was. where the ltr seems more like a 450r its smoother power. Witch is not my riding style at all. The ltr seat is nice though hehe. Power wise they seem the same to me. just different ways like stated. the ltr is a mess to work on. and feels 20times heavier then the kfx. when the wieght is about 20ish lbs maybe? not sure. Im a smaller rider at 5'5 so the ltr also felt like a boat to me. But a big guy on a kfx might be to small for him. my buddy tony is 6'3 on a kfx and loves how small it is. There both great machines. just go with what you prefer. Pretty much if you like green better go green. if you like yellow then go yellow.

And why getting a kicker? really wont do much on a fuel injected quad inless you get a conversion kit for $2200 from bcs to make it a carb. KFX electronics are pretty good and easy to figure out where i dought something will go wrong with starting. Just a thought.

ltrracer
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
well i have a kicker on my LTR to get rid of as much weight as possible, that would be the same reason i would get it on the kfx, can you get rid of the battery on the kfx if you get a kicker?

Danamo250
08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
No you would still need it to run the fuel injection, thats why going carb setup would be the only way to totally eliminate the battery, electric start etc.

ltrracer
08-23-2008, 03:00 PM
how come they can get rid of the battery and stuff on the LTR but not on the KFX? this makes no sense to me lol:confused:

coryatver
08-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by topdollr
Shoot stick Wimmer on any quad and he would still be out front.

I guess we will fine out next year:chinese:

ltrracer
08-23-2008, 05:57 PM
why? u think he will be riding something other than suzuki? :rolleyes:

spincr4hire
08-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ltrracer
why? u think he will be riding something other than suzuki? :rolleyes:
rumor is yes

08-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Im planning on getting a kicker for the kfx. running the wires to to the battery into a compactor and mounting it under front hood. That should be enough to eliminate the starter the button and the battery. All though i do not no much about plugging where the starter was. Im sure i can figure something out. haven't looked to in depth with it yet. But hope to figure something out soon. I no atv innovations should have a harness out over the winter for them. hopefully some1 els makes one soon. it would make everything eaiser. All you need is a compacitor and the rest you can gut out. I been trying to figure out the harness for gutting it my self. But there way to many sensors and stuff that im just not sure on.

And wimmer should still be on suz. his contract is up but they treat him great. and i dought hel be leaving. No one is really putting as much money into the quads as suz. although kawi and can am are stepping up. still dont think there putting out as much as suz is

ltrracer
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM
k man, im glad to hear your stepping in on the R&D for yourself, if i get a kawi me and my mechanic will def find a way to get rid of the battery and start button. As for the hole where the starter goes, how about getting a plug off the suzuki that comes with that kick start kit? is it the same size hole? And like you said, suzuki treats wimmer damn good and if a rider of wimmer's level leaves a team thats in it as much as suzuki is, then that rider is crazy

dynofox
08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ltrracer
ya it kinda helped somewhat, all the stuff you mentioned im going to be replacing anyway, if i do get a kawi with this deal im working on ill be getting two of them and then instantly dropping prolly 20 grand in each one, i just want to know if i drop all this money in one am i gonna get left in the dust or am i gonna be able to win, ya know? I know creamer hauls *** on one but schumaker and little arent doing very good and thats a factory ride, so i didnt know if it was the riders or the bikes

If you put that kind of $$ into any of the 450s they can be made winners IMO. I've spent quite a bit of time on the kfx 450 in the woods, thought it was a nice machine, definitely set up more for trail riding / xc in stock form. As mentioned before they have a solid low / mid range but do lack on top (in stock form).

bustedknuckle
08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds Like A Lot Of Work.We Race A Kawi.Call Hetrick Raceing They Have A Team Sponcered By Kawi. They All Have The Starters.The Kawi Electrical System Is Quite Complex.Its Not That Easey To Remove The Starter... Hetrick Did Quite Well This Year.Just A Thought...