PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bolt

400ex309
08-21-2008, 07:45 PM
ive got a 02 400 ex i have to do some tranny work to it but i cant get the swingarm bolt out that goes through the back of the motor. i cant turn it or beat it out with a hammer has anyone else had this problem and if so is there any way to get it out?

Thanks in advance

redrocker
08-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I had to drill mine out
start with a small drill
and drill on both ends
and work your way up
to a bigger drill each time
takes about an hour
good luck I now pull it
out every 6 months and
grease

400ex309
08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I thought about that just gotta find where i can get a drill bit that long haha

jeepthing07
08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
i messed with mine all night long and eventual grabbed a random drill bit drilled about 3" into the bolt on the left side. and found a piece of like 1/4" rod that fit inside the hole i drilled and it stuck out about 10"... so then i locked a pair of big vice grips on the end of the rod and beat the hell out of it with a 3 pound hammer for about 10 minutes and it came out.... i did let it soak in PB blaster for about 24 hours though. this is a problem on the 400ex's good luck.

the Z Man
08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
PB Blaster and heat...
Also big hammer.

400ex309
08-21-2008, 08:05 PM
ive put punches in the end and beat on it a ton but it still wont move guess i need a bigger hammer haha

the Z Man
08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Try an impact

400ex309
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
tried it it wont move it just ended up striping the end of the bolt

quad2xtreme
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 400ex309
tried it it wont move it just ended up striping the end of the bolt

The bolt is seized to the sleeves that the two swingarm bearings ride on.

1) Take the subframe off

2) Take the rear shock off

3) Jack the quad up as high as possible to get the swingarm to drop as far as possible.

4) Use a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade to cut the bolt just on each side of the engine. Don't booger up the two engine case bushings as you can't buy those from Honda. If you do, a machine shop can make them.

5) Loosen up the motor. Lift it enough to slide out the center section of the bolt going through the engine case

6) Slide out the section of the bolt that the nut goes on.

7) Use a dremel to grind down the stripped head on the bolt. Once you have it down to the frame, this section of the swingarm bolt will also push out towards the opposite side.

/Jon

mooseracerX
08-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I have the exact opposite with mine. The nut keeps loosening and the bolt moves. Its pretty much a brand new lock nut. Does it have to go in from a specific side?

quad2xtreme
08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
I have the exact opposite with mine. The nut keeps loosening and the bolt moves. Its pretty much a brand new lock nut. Does it have to go in from a specific side?

I've only ever seen the nut installed on the right side. Put blue locktite on it after spraying it with brake cleaner.

mooseracerX
08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Huh, I've saw it both ways so that's why I was wondering. We tightened it with Threadlocker red gel and it still loosened up. I've herd you can't find another nut like that at the hardware store or else we'd go look.

justin1022
08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 400ex309
ive got a 02 400 ex i have to do some tranny work to it but i cant get the swingarm bolt out that goes through the back of the motor. i cant turn it or beat it out with a hammer has anyone else had this problem and if so is there any way to get it out?

Thanks in advance

ok mine was a 01 and never pulled out before so we are about at the same seazage. i ended up pulling the sub frame and shock and lifted the quad to were the rear wheeles were streight down and cut it as far as it would go with a grinder. on the right side of the engine and then i put a punch that is like a chizzle but gets thicker so it would push the bolt out. for some reason mine was seazed in the engine caseings and in the spacers but wile i was beating on that punch it broke both sides loose. then i put a ratchet in the head and spun it out as far as it would go and used plyers to get it out the rest. then i had a long long punch and it was fine on the end and got thicker. i had 2 of them actully i put one in the nut side of the bolt and punched it that way and put one in the head side of the bolt and punched it back and forth and sprayed this move-it stuff it worked really good actully. i got it slideing back and forth like butter but were i made the cut i had to go with a file and file down around the bolt because it was catching on the bushings. then i worked it out and cut the bolt of the punch. and btw the punching goes way easier if you take your nerfs off.