PDA

View Full Version : 250x dies when engaging reverse

glatf70gg
08-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I haven't been able to use reverse since i bought the bike in Feb.
the bike will be at idle, I pull in the clutch with the reverse lock in, and as soon as i lift the reverse lever it shuts off. I have no clue what could cause that to happen. It revs a tad high, i can't get it to come down. Its not real high though. would that cause it to shut off it the idle is to high. If so how would i lower the idle? thanks guys

sparks427
08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
well not to sure about the deal w/ reverse but i can tell you on ur carb there is a screw that will adj the idle. not sure if its the same on ur 250 as it is on my 300 but on one side or the other(by the carb) there is a knob you can turn w/ a screw driver that depending one which way you turn it, it will either raise or lower the idle rpms. try that and see what ur reverse does, it almost sounds like mabey a wire is loose or a somewhere in the reverse wireing, not sure, but i dont think the idle bein to high would cause it to just die. i do know that you cant start it in reverse or as long as the lever is up so ya might check ur wires and see if any of them are loose or broken.

glatf70gg
08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
cool i'll check for the idle screw, going to trevorton, pa this saturday, maybe able to get it done before then. i think i tried to start it in reverse, i don't think it worked. i'll try it again. thanx man

sparks427
08-21-2008, 07:43 PM
ok no problem, happy to help. let me know what you find out i'll try to help if ya have any more problems.

bwamos
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Clutch cable may need adjusted for the reverse.
Since you are in neutral the friction plates and steeles in the clutch will rotate together because they are "freewheeling" as you could say. As soon as you engage the reverse the one set must instantly stop rotating, but theres some braking friction that must be overcome. That's why the quad will lurch a little or even kill the engine when putting into reverse.

If your clutch cable is stretched and not adjusted correctly you may even have some extra friction on top of the normal amount.

I know I always have to blip my throttle when putting the quad into reverse or it will kill it. It's a bit of an art form (or convoluted mess dependon on how you look at it.. lol). Push in the R button on the clutch, pull in the clutch, put quad into neutral, blup the throttle, reach over real quick and pull up the lever, and get back the the throttle to reblip so the reverse engagment doesn't kill the engine.

Horrible setup that it only took them 20 years to fix.. LOL.

glatf70gg
08-22-2008, 08:33 PM
thanx ill try that tomorow.