PDA

View Full Version : Oil levels 00 400ex

CJM
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Just wondering, my old suzuki had a simple sight glass on the crankcase-but my 00 400ex I just got has a dipstick and oil reservoir.

I pulled the stick and checked it when I first got it and it was overfull according to the to the markings on the stick. The quad was cold and hadnt been rode in hours. I drained some out till it was at the proper mark, maybe about 1/4 a cup of oil.

I played around for about 15 minutes today and check the oil and its still over full by a good bit somehow, machine was off tho. I checked it while it was hot and again just now after about 10 mins of sitting and its still high according to the markings on the stick....

What gives? Am I reading it wrong, is something wrong with the quad? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but I dont want to wreck something that cost me alot of cash.

08-21-2008, 05:03 PM
the real way to check it is to start it and have it idle for 5 minutes. Shut it off pull out the diptick, wipe off the dipstick, and put it back in not screwing it in. Pull it out and read the level.

drew416ex
08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
It doesnt have to even run that long. 30 seconds is more than enough time for the oil to circulate where it needs to be.

CJM
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok, just making sure since imho its possibly overfull.

It hasnt been ran in hours and I just checked it now, still overfull. Last time I drained it from the drain plug on the oil tank.

Thanks for the help guys.