PDA

View Full Version : computer help.

justin1022
08-20-2008, 10:32 PM
i was wondering if anyone new how to clear the blocked pop ups on the computer. i have 374 as of right now and i think its whats making my computer as slow as a snale.

<DRS>GPF
08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
clearing the blocked popup count isnt going to affect speed at all.

check to see how many running processes you currently have.

i usually avg. 30 processes with the antivirus etc going. i can strip it to 19 for gaming.

justin1022
08-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
clearing the blocked popup count isnt going to affect speed at all.

check to see how many running processes you currently have.

i usually avg. 30 processes with the antivirus etc going. i can strip it to 19 for gaming.

how do i check that? sorry i am not very good at this.

<DRS>GPF
08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
couple of ways in XP, im not sure about vista.

1. right-click the mouse over a clear spot on the taskbar, a menu will popup and youll select [task manager]
a window will appear, showing the running tasks.

2. press and hold: ctrl-alt-del buttons and the task manager window will appear.

in the lower left of the window, it will show the number of currently running tasks.

justin1022
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
ok i have 41 it says is that bad? should i delete half the junk? and if so how?

<DRS>GPF
08-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
ok i have 41 it says is that bad? should i delete half the junk? and if so how?

actually that isnt too bad.. its alot, but its much better than some ive seen.

you might try highlighting the programs in the task manager window, then clicking the [end process] button. this will help a little, to see if you can regain some speed. if the PC screws up, just reboot and itll all restart.

the best thing to do, is to take the time to do a web search for each of the running programs that you arent sure about, then hopefully you can disable them, turn them off or uninstall them.
its likely some auto-updaters and file sharing or photo software.(stupid and useless kodak, HP and canon mal-ware)

dont make the mistake of simply deleting files, because it can create unrepairable errors.
always use the uninstaller([add/remove programs] in the control panel)

justin1022
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
actually that isnt too bad.. its alot, but its much better than some ive seen.

you might try highlighting the programs in the task manager window, then clicking the [end process] button. this will help a little, to see if you can regain some speed. if the PC screws up, just reboot and itll all restart.

the best thing to do, is to take the time to do a web search for each of the running programs that you arent sure about, then hopefully you can disable them, turn them off or uninstall them.
its likely some auto-updaters and file sharing or photo software.(stupid and useless kodak, HP and canon mal-ware)

dont make the mistake of simply deleting files, because it can create unrepairable errors.
always use the uninstaller([add/remove programs] in the control
panel)

ok thanks, i also was doing some stuff and my antivirus shows im loaded with viruses its saying like 3000 but i never even had this brand if anti virus before and dont no how it got on here. would you no any sites that would clean this up for me?

<DRS>GPF
08-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
ok thanks, i also was doing some stuff and my antivirus shows im loaded with viruses its saying like 3000 but i never even had this brand if anti virus before and dont no how it got on here. would you no any sites that would clean this up for me?

oh man...
youve got that #$%^& xp2008 malware..

probably through hotmail.

try here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-win-antivir-antivirus-2008

justin1022
08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
oh man...
youve got that #$%^& xp2008 malware..

probably through hotmail.

try here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-win-antivir-antivirus-2008

ok thanks! it is fast now.. it just deleted it all. thanks a bunch.