PDA

View Full Version : Timing advance with cdi vs. slotted stator

Bill Lemans
08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Just wondering if you have advanced your timing mechanically, what happens if you put on one of the cdi's that advance and retard your timing accordingly . Is it going to overadvance it or do nothing cause it senses the advanced timing somehow ?

Which is better ? I would think the cdi way would be better assuming it's sensing off the pulse generator. With that being said, how could a cdi know that you moved the stator since it moves with it ???

Just thinkin' outloud before i buy one. Need anew coil/coil wire anyway , thought i'd look into the higher output coil and cdi.

Logan #34's Dad
08-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Well, I've got one of the cdi boxes I believe your talking about. If you slot the stator plate so that you are able to retard the timing (turning the plate counter-clockwise) the trigger coil spins with the plate thus when the rised part of flywheel comes by the trigger coil it fires sooner (Retard) SO, with the cdi box that advances on take off then settles back as you go, It would not advance as far but would retard back further and give you more top end. Thats the idea I guess. You can also save crank weight by removing the flywheel magnets and then remove the stator itself BUT you have to use a battery that continually needs charged up after each race. Hope that makes sense.
CDI Box seems to be good though. It is a back up to my PVL though. I recommend the PVL except they are expensive.

etondaddy
08-21-2008, 05:52 AM
This is all you need for a 90cc jog motor and a stock stator. Remove the stock wiring harness and use a pro design kill switch and your in.

Mike Kozura

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-ATV-Mini-Quad-50-Eton-Dinli-UNRESTRICTED-CDi-box_W0QQitemZ300250968141QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 00250968141&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=P201280&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Bill Lemans
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
O.K. That's along the lines I was thinking. That makes sense.
I'm running the B-52 with the slotted stator and was wondering if the cdi box would make much difference. Doesn't sound like it would for our conditions. Very short tracks with very few opportunities to use top end. Short straights with tight and twisties with plenty of jumps, tabletops, etc.
These kids are racing on the same course the big guys race on, without much stretch to get any speed up.

So Etondaddy, basically these performance coils that claim to give 15 % more, don't really make much difference at all ? Except the inflated price...........:rolleyes:

My cdi is stock and un restricted(via the cut green wire). Is there any difference in max rpm between it and the one you linked ?

Thanx for the quick responses, fellas:D

etondaddy
08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lemans

So Etondaddy, basically these performance coils that claim to give 15 % more, don't really make much difference at all ? Except the inflated price...........:rolleyes:

My cdi is stock and un restricted(via the cut green wire). Is there any difference in max rpm between it and the one you linked ?
I don't believe so IMO...... we have always ran what I linked with no problems.

Not sure...... for the price we always went with the aftermarket one.

Mike Kozura

mcrider29
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey etondady. We run 300 ft sand drags. That cdi box you linked. Does it have the rev limit wire. I was going to try to use it at the start on my boys drag bike to help his reation time. We just start an go full throttle 300 ft. Will that cdi fit a eton 103. I am new to these little engines. We run Banshee based motors. So this is all new.

etondaddy
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
There's no rev limit wire.... it works on all jog motors. We always remove the stock harness. And just use the stator and cdi wires... and a kil switch.

Mike Kozura

mcrider29
08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
This may sound stupid. This motor is off of a polaris scrambler. What is the difference between Jog an eton or my motor.

etondaddy
08-21-2008, 09:58 AM
They are all Yamaha jog motors....... Pol., eton, Kasea, DRR, ect, ect.

Mike Kozura

mcrider29
08-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I see thanks Mike.