PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me.....

fastrnrik
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, I'm in the market for a mini. My little guy has seriously exceeded the limits of his kfx50. I have raced for a long time, but when it comes to mini's I'll admit I don't know the ins & outs. I would be in the market for a 50. I would also prefer a wide model. We would be running mostly TT, and then work our way into some MX. From what I've seen around here DRR's and Apex's seem to be pretty popular. I posted in the DRR section because it seems there are some knowledgeable racing dads in here that could point me in the right direction.
Here's a few basic questions I have:
DRR or Apex? Opinions?
Common problems with the DRR's?
Cobra? I know they're pricey, but it seems they have some issues?
What about Polaris? Seems like I've seen some fast, tricked out little Predators around?
Any other brands worth considering? I've seen the Extreme's , they look cool, but they seem like turds compared to the 2 strokes.

Any other input would be appreciated.
Thanks

cardinalhvac
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
right out the box the drr drx 50 and 90 bikes are awesome. with a few hundred dollars of upgrades they are wicked. i don't know muc about apex but the seem to be close to the same as a DRR. the predators need a lot of modifying to reach the standard of a stock DRR. Also, Gary Fallon from G force is awesome and will guide you in the right direction. i have a 2005 DRX 90 we race TT with and i have had no problems with this bike except for normal top end rebuilds and maintenance. i love these bikes

desmo888
08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
My son's DRX90 just showed up today. Gary at G-Force is the man - period. Shoot him an email for info - go to drrnation.com

Anyway, my son does not race but I did a lot of research. DRR has un-equaled customer support. Apex has none - nill, buy it and good luck. This is the word from two dealers than handle both brands.

I am very happy with the DRR upon initial assembly. Quality unit.

At the local track about 70% of the mini's are indeed DRR's.

Best of luck.

Logan #34's Dad
08-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, If your only TT racing I'd go with a single arm style. Now, you would need to buy the adjustable camber style a-arms to get the quad low to the ground. Single a-arm style are lighter.
If your looking to get into MX racing then DRR is hands down the way to go. Apex is basically the same thing BUT they have NO customer support from the factory. The DRR is cheaper also.
Look for a used drr - Someone is always selling because they are moving up to the next class. Also, they may have made upgrades to the quad and that would save you a ton of money. IMO

fastrnrik
08-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check out that DRR website.

I own the local TT track and a few of us will be running some TT nationals next year and were going to take him along with us, so he will be racing alot of TT and occasionally some local MX races, then probably more and more MX once he gets more confidence (and I convince his mother LOL). I think for now I would prefer a bike we could change back and forth to do both.

I know the local Apex dealer and they have a group of kids that ride them and do well. They're good guys and would stand behind the product, but judging by any given race I've been to, it seems the DRR's are by far the most popular.

Thanks again

Logan #34's Dad
08-20-2008, 11:34 PM
--- but judging by any given race I've been to, it seems the DRR's are by far the most popular.

Thanks again [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats because they are much less money.

fastrnrik
08-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
--- but judging by any given race I've been to, it seems the DRR's are by far the most popular.

Thanks again

Thats because they are much less money. [/B][/QUOTE]

Good AND cheap.... that's a nice combo

bulldogfallon
08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
I know the local Apex dealer and they have a group of kids that ride them and do well. They're good guys and would stand behind the product, but judging by any given race I've been to, it seems the DRR's are by far the most popular.

Thanks again

They are also DRR dealers...

In FL DRR is the way to go....unmatched support and service

I will reply to your email after I speak with Chad/Jay about how to service your request.

We will take care of you as a track owner should be...

No worries...You will be happy

fastrnrik
08-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, it seems the more I research it, a DRR 50 is what I want for my boy.

I didn't know Chad & Jay were DRR dealers? I've only ever spoke to them about Apex's. That's cool though, I would be happy to deal with them because like I said they're good guys who have always been very helpful to me and have a great group of kids that race. I was actually going to email them this week to get their input.

I did stop in to a local shop that has DRR's on their sign called Evolution Motorsports today and spoke to the owner about DRR's. He has some grandkids that XC race DRR's and have had good luck with them. He was very helpful and had lots of good information.

I have a decent number of kids that race mini's now, but I've got plans to really promote mini's for this upcoming fall TT series. We've got a newly redesigned and rebuilt track that is fast and technical and should be a blast for the kids to run.

Thanks

backinsaddle
08-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Brady, good to see you here. We've been very happy with our DRR's. Chad and Jay are my dealers and they have been amazing. They really know how to tune these bikes in.

We need to get our butts back to your track(s), just don't have the cash these days, but we'll be back there soon.

I hear the same thing everyone else is saying about the apex, customer service stinks, drr seems to go above and beyond.

backinsaddle
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Also, my 50 is with Chad/Jay now getting some repairs done. When complete, I'd be more than happy to swing by and let your son run mine to see how he likes it. Let me know