PDA

View Full Version : shiming

dvx304racer
08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I just put in a new set of hot cams and it started ticking a week after so i went to see if i needed to shim the valves which i did but one of then has no clearance and is stuck wide open could i have just bent it or broke a spring and help would be nice thanks

airmobile101
08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Hotcams do tick. Mine tick loud. As for the clearance, you need to re-shim it for proper clearance. What is stuck open? The valve? I couldnt imagine it running with a valve stuck open.

dvx304racer
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
ya the valve was stuck wide open and i tore it apart today and 3 out of the 4 valves were burned and the one that was stuck open was bent pretty bad so if u can help me out on what i would need to bye as of stronger valves/springs or ccan i just use the standard valves and springs i was also told today that you need to do measuring on the springs and the cams so that you get the best performance if u can help at all plz relpy thanks

airmobile101
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
As for the valves, take your pick!! I run Veshra valves. I lapped my own crap and havent had any issues. I just performed a compression test and its the same PSI reading as when I first installed them. Now, with that said, other brands are good also,but they claim you can't lap them. Maybe the Veshra's are not suppose to be lapped either,but its been over a year and the bike has been raced. I had no issues.
As for the the springs,you already have it tore apart, throw some DRZ springs in it. They include two springs for each valve. Order the springs from a dealer or go to Bike Bandit.com . Yes, springs wear out,you can measure them and spec them if you like,but your best bet is to get the DRZ springs.

dvx304racer
08-21-2008, 05:37 AM
hey thanks alot that really helped

airmobile101
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Not a problem. If I don't have an answer,then I sure there is plenty here that do;)

dvx304racer
08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
haha ok well 1 more what type of valves and lifters do i need or what do i do becasue of the bigger lobs on the cams

airmobile101
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by dvx304racer
haha ok well 1 more what type of valves and lifters do i need or what do i do becasue of the bigger lobs on the cams
Well, I assume your gonna replace all of them(the valves). So your gonna need two exhaust and two intake valves. As mentioned before, take your pick on valves(who makes them) There is no lifters!!! Take off the cams. There you will notice a total of 4 silver buckets were the cam lobes ride on. Remove them one at a time. There will be a shim still attached to the top of the valve or a shim stuck to the inside top of bucket. Pull the shim off and take note of size. You might still be able to read what size it is(should be printed on shim). DO NOT INTERMIX YOUR VALVE TRAIN COMPONENTS. Take note where each part comes from and make sure you put it back. The shims dictate what the clearance is gonna be. Soooo, I guess the bucket and shim are the lifters(if thats what you want to call it).
Just make sure you set your timing BTDC before tearing into it!!:eek2: