PDA

View Full Version : Crank Seals Worn out?

Logan #34's Dad
08-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Hey everyone, I've been chasing a motor problem. The engine is strong for a lap and then starts to bog coming out of the corners. It will go a little ways while boging then take off like normal. I've done all the clutching stuff I believe. I've messed with the carb. How do I know if the crank seals are leaking and sucking air once they get hot and swell. The quads idle goes up and down too. (that is why I thought it might be the seals) I was told to spray starting fluid around the seals and listen for the idle to change.
You guys got any ideas?

camsdad
08-20-2008, 07:40 AM
if youre running v-force reeds check the center reeds very closely...i've had several quads do the same thing and it was a center reed on the v force(not broken but no tension on the center reed)

WOLFPACK
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Check the carb boot as well for any cracks or breaks.

If we're talking about a DRR we have a similar problem with a brand new one. It ended up being the retainer clip for the crank seal was missing from the factory.

rider1234
08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Had a similar problem. I found that the float level was off so the bowl wasnt filling up all the way and when my son would go around corners it would bog and starve for fuel. pull the carb off, take bowl off and put a tube on the fuel fitting, blow into it and move the floats and see at what level the floats are opening the needle. It may be shutting off the fuel needle too soon.

WOLFPACK
08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Also check your fuel tank breather tube and the cap gasket. It may be starving the flow.

Shane