PDA

View Full Version : 00 400ex steering issues

CJM
08-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Not exactly sure whats wrong, but I bought a 2000 400ex used the other day. The guy lived in a neighborhood so I couldnt even test ride it really.

I noticed the steering is very tough, moving or not its very hard and not smooth at all. When you try and turn the handlebars it also makes some kinda squeaking noise around where the handlebars connect to the shaft.

A few of my friends rode it and agreed something is wrong. Were thinking its possibly a bent steeringshaft or some kinda bushings.

Any ideas??

quad2xtreme
08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
"makes some kinda squeaking noise around where the handlebars connect to the shaft"

Probably just a bit lower. Remove the front plastic. Take off the clamp that holds the steering stem to the frame by removing the 2 bolts with a 12mm socket. Now, clean and apply grease to the steering stem bushing. It is very common to put a thin washer between the clamp and frame so it doesn't tighten down as much. If the washer is too thick then you will notice a little play. Honestly, this is better than stiffness when turning.

Retorque those two bolts. Almost positive it is 25 ft/lbs.

Rkangel7
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Squeaking at the upper bushing seems to be common when it gets dry. When I was shopping for my EX I noticed it on nearly half of the ones I looked at. Recently mine began to squeak as well. I sprayed the upper bushing around the steering stem with a little silicone and the squeak is gone. The steering is also a bit smoother now as well.

I would also make sure that the stem is not bent. I also noticed plenty of those on some of the older "It's-never-been-rolled-but-the-plastics-are-all-cracked" or "less maintained" 400's I saw.

CJM
08-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Pulled the plastics off, remove the clamp for the bushing near the handlebars. Seems to move very freely now with no pressure on it, bolts were TIGHT as can be.

Im gonna get some high temp wheel bearing grease and use that, see if it helps. The shaft doesnt appear to be bent afaik, but i will look more carefully.

Thank you for the help :)

CJM
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Greased, wow what a difference. Thanks again :)

quad2xtreme
08-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Greased, wow what a difference. Thanks again :)

No problem. I wish they were all that easy to solve.

Next thing you have to do is get that swingarm bolt out and get it greased before it bonds itself to the bearing collars on each side. Hopefully yours isn't stuck already because it is a real pain to cut out with a sawz-all.

CJM
08-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
No problem. I wish they were all that easy to solve.

Next thing you have to do is get that swingarm bolt out and get it greased before it bonds itself to the bearing collars on each side. Hopefully yours isn't stuck already because it is a real pain to cut out with a sawz-all.

Hmm, more about this would help. I should probably do it soon.

I already repaired the plastics, put in a missing bolt on the frame, etc.

Forgive my ignorance, my only other atv is an old pos zuk 230 that I never bothered much with.

quad2xtreme
08-20-2008, 05:09 AM
You need to take the nut off that long bolt that goes through the swingarm and through the rear of your engine. On each side of your swingarm there is a bearing. This bearing rides around a steel sleeve. This steel sleeve has very low clearance tolerances to that bolt. Steel bolt + steel sleeve = rust which essentially welds the two together.

If your lucky, the previous owner kept this lubed every 4-6 months.

I jack up the quad and put two jack stands under the footpegs. Then use the jack to jack up the swingarm to remove the pressure.

Once the nut is off the swingarm bolt, tap it with a hammer. I use a special pin punch that slides all the way down in the hollow tube of the swingarm bolt...assuming yours is stock it will be hollow. The idea is not to pound the crap out of the end of the swingarm bolt thus damaging it and the threads.

You can use PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil. Some say it will get down in there and loosen the bond between the steel collar and the bolt but I not a believer. It will definitely help it slide out easier though if the two haven't quite bonded together yet.

Note...just because you can spin the bolt doesn't mean it isn't seized. You are just spinning the bolt and the sleeve (collar).

Once you have the swingarm bolt loose, a trick I use is to pound it out with another swingarm bolt. It keeps everything together making it much easier to slide the lubed bolt back into place.

You definitely want to get a manual and also look at microfiche on rivayamaha.com website. Working on your quad is half the fun.