PDA

View Full Version : Kick star and Starter Clutch Question.

bobbys9350
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey guys. I have put 3 starter clutches in my quad since I got it. It is an electric start model. Well I just got my kick start conversion kit and I am ready to make the switch. My question is how long do the starter clutches last with the kick starters vs. the electric starts? I also have a few other questions I'll post here instead of making a new thread:

What do I need to set my decompression lever to with the kickstart vs. the electric start?

Do I need a hotstart lever? If so Can I just add one or does my carb need to modified for it?

Thanks for your time, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Scro
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, the starter clutch is only being used when you are cranking with electric start. The kickstart models don't even have a starter clutch (or atleast the 04-05 models don't). As long as you are using the kicker only, the starter clutch isn't even needed (I don't think).

Decompression will be set the same for both models.

You don't really need hotstart, but it does help ALOT when you stall the bike when it's hot. I've heard of people adding hotstart to the stock FCR carbs, and then I've heard people say that it can't be done. So I can't really comment on that.

JH Racing
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
If you are using kicker only the starter clutch is not in use to help with rotating weight you can remove the one way bearing out of the holder and the gear und just use the holder to take up the space but make sure to take the one way out or it will come apart and the roller will do damage.

Decomp setting seems to work best at .018

You have to have the carb machined for a hotstart there are a few places that do it but it is not a big problem to not have it for most.

bobbys9350
08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I can barely get this thing starterd? When it's cold I can ussualy get it fired within 5-6 kicks. When it's hot I am lucky to get it started....... It takes everything i have to kick it over....... I sat outside for 10 minutes kicking it before I finnaly got it started. I am 6ft 3 an 200lbs. Any advice????

rt20ps
08-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by bobbys9350
Thanks for the replies. I can barely get this thing starterd? When it's cold I can ussualy get it fired within 5-6 kicks. When it's hot I am lucky to get it started....... It takes everything i have to kick it over....... I sat outside for 10 minutes kicking it before I finnaly got it started. I am 6ft 3 an 200lbs. Any advice????

Three things to check.

Valve lash, decompressor setting, and jetting. Once you get these things right they start pretty easy.