PDA

View Full Version : switching from Honda to Suzuki

blakefoote
08-18-2008, 07:07 PM
any of you experienced MX racers... i am switching from honda... ill start out by saying my style of riding... i have always been pretty good at jumping, rythmn, whoops ect.... my weak point is the ground speed like tight turns and stuff is where i am rusty...i have had trouble with Honda since day one with set up and suspension.... i have tested with suzuki and i am very pleased... i am planning on buying 2 maybe 3 suzukis soon... i am gonna put walsh upper replacement a-arms on them... fox shocks... a few motor mods... stem, tires rims and a few more....now my honda had the whole nine done to it... EVERYTHING! motor wa top notch, shocks, arms, axle swinger, everthing you can get and was never really satisfied with the handling on the ground..... gemme your opinions on the swap!

bcg717
08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
ask JRP he made the switch, and from what i've read he seems to be pleased.

blacknblue#2
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
This is one of those to each his own things. Ive had MX experience with both. all my hondas have always had the whole nine yards and the suzuki was not completely stock. It had all 3 revalves and resprings by TCS, stem, flexx bars, nerfs, cherry bomb and exhaust. dont get me wrong for no more than it had done it was a good local A class quad but wasnt for me. Im 6'3 and i felt like i was riding a 300EX (not powerwise). i dont know exactly what it is about them but at first i thought it was just me until i got to reading around and come across some info that Pro Am Rider Casey Martin experienced the same discomfort and also read a rumor that Chad weinens pegs were relocated an inch lower than stock. So for the little guys maybe honda aint for you but for us taller guys i think honda feels the best

blakefoote
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
This is one of those to each his own things. Ive had MX experience with both. all my hondas have always had the whole nine yards and the suzuki was not completely stock. It had all 3 revalves and resprings by TCS, stem, flexx bars, nerfs, cherry bomb and exhaust. dont get me wrong for no more than it had done it was a good local A class quad but wasnt for me. Im 6'3 and i felt like i was riding a 300EX (not powerwise). i dont know exactly what it is about them but at first i thought it was just me until i got to reading around and come across some info that Pro Am Rider Casey Martin experienced the same discomfort and also read a rumor that Chad weinens pegs were relocated an inch lower than stock. So for the little guys maybe honda aint for you but for us taller guys i think honda feels the best

that was gonna be the next thing i brought up... i am a smaller rider and i have heard that Honda is for the bigger riders...i am 6' 148lbs... but power wise i have some top notch mechanics backing me so im not worried about power i can get power

klutch
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I ride a Honda at 6' at 142lbs. and i love my Honda... The yami and the suzuki both felt very small and unconfortable even for me...

blakefoote
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by klutch
I ride a Honda at 6' at 142lbs. and i love my Honda... The yami and the suzuki both felt very small and unconfortable even for me...

see thats wierd because i tested suzuki and KTM and i thought they both were more spacious than Honda

klutch
08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
The Suzuki and the Yamaha felt ridiculously tiny i felt like i had no room at all... I feel great on my Honda but i've never ridden the KTM or Kawi so can't comment on those two...

08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
The yami and the suzuki both felt very small and unconfortable even for me...

i feel the same on them. The seat feels like its below my knees and I dont feel right on them. I bet they are good for tricks getting your feet over the seat and such lol

blakefoote
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
hmmm something to think about

Warnerade
08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
smartest decision you'll ever make

DEAL
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
great bikes .. I like them way more than my honda, they are just a little heavy.

Master LTR450
08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Suzuki all the way i didnt like my honda 1 bit!!

Robin Hood
08-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Love my suzuki. Wouldn't trade it in for anything.

blacknblue#2
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
Lucky. My Zuki blew the top end at my race yesterday so it's out of the question this weekend. :(

You sure you dont wanna trade for a good running honda??? :p hahahah just pickin on ya man dont get mad, just saw this in another thread and saw it as my chance to give someone a hard time lol :D

Robin Hood
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
You sure you dont wanna trade for a good running honda??? :p hahahah just pickin on ya man dont get mad, just saw this in another thread and saw it as my chance to give someone a hard time lol :D

Yeah I figured someone would haha. Hey man it happens. My raptor blew the tranny and starter clutch and I've been through thick and thin with that monster and I still love it.

Every bike has it's ups and downs. My LTR is completely stock and so far it's kept me in the lead for points in my series so I can't get too mad. I just see it as it needed time off of the podium for a while. :devil:

Warnerade
08-18-2008, 11:47 PM
you blew up a stock ltr? sheesh dawg...i had 1 1/2 seasons on my piston and cylinder before I tore it down...and thats with running the piss out of it lol

atvmxr
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
going from a trx to a LT500, no complaints.... just have to be ready 4 that big bore power to kick in :D :D

Robin Hood
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
you blew up a stock ltr? sheesh dawg...i had 1 1/2 seasons on my piston and cylinder before I tore it down...and thats with running the piss out of it lol

I thought it would last longer too but I've had it since last August and the top end probably has a little over 100 hours on it. only 10 hours were harescramble races.

krt400ex
08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
The Suzuki and the Yamaha felt ridiculously tiny i felt like i had no room at all... I feel great on my Honda but i've never ridden the KTM or Kawi so can't comment on those two...

i agree wit you, but i have also felt the ktm...and omg it is the best thing i have ever sat my arse on. rly roomy. super easy to move around on, and everything just felt like it was in the right place.

Robin Hood
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i agree wit you, but i have also felt the ktm...and omg it is the best thing i have ever sat my arse on. rly roomy. super easy to move around on, and everything just felt like it was in the right place.

Only complaint I have about the KTM is that the seat feels a little tall on it like the YFZ. I'm sure a slight adjustment or after a good break in that it would be perfect though.

631kfx400
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
dont you just want to eat it:blah:

400exrider707
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Biggest complaint I hear about this is thet suzukis dont end up with the power the Honda's have.

A racer in our district has 3 curtis sparks built motors for his Hondas, he made the switch to suzuki and had the motor built by yoshimura, he is now selling the suzuki. He actually told yoshi he was putting his honda motor in the suzuki frame. Last I knew he had mounts being fabbed by PRP to do this. Not sure where it went, but I see the zuk out for sale at the races.

klutch
08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex

I sat on the XC but i didn't ride it... It felt better than the Suzuki but i still didn't feel as roomy as my 450r... I know i am very biased... but when it comes to the way i felt on top of each bike the Honda felt best.

justin1022
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
you guys seem to no about suzukis or how ever you spell it. my buddy just got a ltr 450 and the engine winnes i told him to put 200ml more oil in it he said it was full but i said ya but put 200ml over what the manual says he didnt though he took it in. um could one of you guys tell me if its oil or what because i wanna go racing with him this weekend.

reptikes
08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
3 guys i ride with got Suzuki's. My boy Joe has an 07' LTR - blew up 2 weeks ago (he's only had it for a couple months). He just trail rides and little hill climbs, so it wasn't beat on or raced, and it was very well maintained. One of the other guys 06' LTR (he does local Woods Races) C or B class, his is having major problems with it starting and running right now. When he first got it his motor blew up but it was still under warranty. Last, my boy Rat hass a z400, (dont get me started on that one).

justin1022
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
3 guys i ride with got Suzuki's. My boy Joe has an 07' LTR - blew up 2 weeks ago (he's only had it for a couple months). He just trail rides and little hill climbs, so it wasn't beat on or raced, and it was very well maintained. One of the other guys 06' LTR (he does local Woods Races) C or B class, his is having major problems with it starting and running right now. When he first got it his motor blew up but it was still under warranty. Last, my boy Rat hass a z400, (dont get me started on that one).
\

so bassicly your not to proud of suzuki?

Master LTR450
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Well if they are blowing up their motors already then im going to think that they were not very well maitained. I've had 0 problems with mine and wouldn't trade it for anything!! Ohh btw yes adding a little extra oil usally gets rid of the whine.

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
Well if they are blowing up their motors already then im going to think that they were not very well maitained. I've had 0 problems with mine and wouldn't trade it for anything!! Ohh btw yes adding a little extra oil usally gets rid of the whine. bingo...

stock bikes dont just "blow up" when they are relatively new...

quad59
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Been running Ltrs since they came out, had 250rs and honda 450s. Rode a yfz of my friends once. When it comes to serious motorcross racers everybody changes so much stuff it is very hard to get a feel for a bike by riding theres. I didnt like my Ltr when I first got it. Nothing ever felt like the 330 kit laeger 250r with peps. Put on a plus one stem and a quad tech shaved seat and it started to feel closer to honda ergo's. As far as power goes, you get more bang for the buck on the ltr, full modded power is all up to the builder you choose. Personally I wouldnt use anybody other than ATP for ltr motors. Baldwin or rage for honda, and I dont care about yammies haha. All bikes have plus's and minus's you going to have to try it out for yourself...Although those new KTM's might lure me back into the seat.

justin1022
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warnerade
bingo...

stock bikes dont just "blow up" when they are relatively new... [/QUOTE

ye for sure id say they rode it to hard or didnt break it in properly

quad59
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
To comment on the reliability of the LTR.. My wife and I tag teamed our first 06 for an entire season 90 motos total. Not counting open practice days it was still running top notch when I traded it in. I do regular maintenance oil change every other weekend change filter at least once during every ride day.
On the other hand my buddy has two and cant keep either of them on the track. I just talked to him the other day and he had no idea he was supposed to oil the foam filter.....OOOOPPPS play time always equals alot of work time!!!

08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by quad59
Personally I wouldnt use anybody other than ATP for ltr motors. Baldwin or rage for honda, and I dont care about yammies haha. All bikes have plus's and minus's you going to have to try it out for yourself...Although those new KTM's might lure me back into the seat.

ATP does great work on everything.

Robin Hood
08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
bingo...

stock bikes dont just "blow up" when they are relatively new...

Did an oil change every 2 races, replaced the oil filter every time, ran nothing but synthetic, replaced the air filter and cleaned it regularly...

I've been seeing plenty people who have issues with their LTR's blowing their top ends prematurely. There are threads all over the LTR section and on LTR HQ.

It's just luck of the draw.

Robin Hood
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
Well if they are blowing up their motors already then im going to think that they were not very well maitained. I've had 0 problems with mine and wouldn't trade it for anything!! Ohh btw yes adding a little extra oil usally gets rid of the whine.

I put that extra 200ml into my case and the next day my engine blew. IDK if it was because of this or not but I'm not going to add any more oil then I need to ever again.

TWISTED
08-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 631kfx400
dont you just want to eat it:blah:

WITH A BIG FRIGGIN SPOON!!!!!

outacontrol
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
had a full laeger crf 450 hybrid, and sold it to get a 08 ltr. couldnt be happier. everyone that rides with me, says im faster now on the ltr than i ever was on the hybrid. the ltr turns awesome, and the motor is more rideable. i also had a yfz, and i liked the yamaha but it wears you out faster cuz the power comes on so strong. the first time i rode the ltr i was disappointed with the power delivery because it feels like your not going as fast, but once you get used to it, you realize its all in your head.:devil:

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol
had a full laeger crf 450 hybrid, and sold it to get a 08 ltr. couldnt be happier. everyone that rides with me, says im faster now on the ltr than i ever was on the hybrid. the ltr turns awesome, and the motor is more rideable. i also had a yfz, and i liked the yamaha but it wears you out faster cuz the power comes on so strong. the first time i rode the ltr i was disappointed with the power delivery because it feels like your not going as fast, but once you get used to it, you realize its all in your head.:devil: couldnt agree more...

I honestly dont know how any of people ride 450r's lol...I've ridden them as stock all the way to a fully built a class race quad...never felt so uncomfortable on a quad before.