PDA

View Full Version : timing chain

chrisjhayes2008
08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
does ne one know how to check the timing on a 2007 400ex i have a loud ticking in its not the valves so i think it is the timing when i took it apart the cam n sprocket in chain was loose dont know if it is supposed to be could somone help me

jeepthing07
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
take the tensioner off and make sure it's working correctly?

REDRIDDER
08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by chrisjhayes2008
does ne one know how to check the timing on a 2007 400ex i have a loud ticking in its not the valves so i think it is the timing when i took it apart the cam n sprocket in chain was loose dont know if it is supposed to be could somone help me I noticed in your sig that you have a 416 stg2 hot cam.Did you do the work yourself? and if you did, did you have the tensioner spring locked after it was preloaded because if not the tensioner would not of put the tension back on the cam chain causing it to slap the side of the case sightly and make a (knock) loud tick sound.

jeepthing07
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
I noticed in your sig that you have a 416 stg2 hot cam.Did you do the work yourself? and if you did, did you have the tensioner spring locked after it was preloaded because if not the tensioner would not of put the tension back on the cam chain causing it to slap the side of the case sightly and make a (knock) loud tick sound.

I'm building a 426 right now, and i am doing the work myself.

when you preload the tensioner and let go of it it should slap back into place putting tension on the chain. when i took my engine apart the chain had a lot of tension on it. sounds like your tensioner is bad but i'm sure someone with more knowledge of these machines will post on here im a 400ex noobie.