PDA

View Full Version : clatter?

LONG-ROD
08-18-2008, 04:18 PM
What makes the clatter sound in a 250r engin, sounds like mine comes from counter balancer, is this normal, and just how loud should it be.

atvmxr
08-18-2008, 06:06 PM
if it does that at idle in neutral, then yes its normal

LONG-ROD
08-18-2008, 06:18 PM
ya, i only here it at idle, I think it would be impossible to here

C-LEIGH RACING
08-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Clatter,
Things like clearance between the rod, wrist pin bearing & wrist pin.
Piston to cylinder clearance, to much & it flops around.
Clearance in the main bearing balls allowing the crank to flop around.
Counter balancer bearing clearance to much & allowing it to flop around.
Then the gear on the crank & the one on the counter balancer, if those are worn & then the bearings on either shaft are worn then you have those gears slapping each other.

Thats just the front part of the engine, now you still have all the tranmission bearings, clutch parts, shafts, gears, shifting forks flopping around from wear.

After all that, kinda makes you think you might should replace every bearing, gear, washer or any moving part inside the engine everytime it makes a noise, but, those ol 250Rs are tuff & every part will let you know when its time to replace them.
Of all the moving parts in a TRX250R engine, the counter balancer bearings are the most that are looked at, they cant help but go bad.
Neil

gojk
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Mine makes a clatter noise, but I can only hear it at idle and I am pretty sure it is the reeds making the noise.

LONG-ROD
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks Neil, you just imbeded paranoia right into my gutt. Well I just replaced the main crank bearings, seals , wrist pin bearing, and piston, so I think I am good there, there is some play where the water pump shaft slides around the rod in the counter balancer, Is that normal? Can I replace the balancer gear by removeing a case cover, and last On the big gear that is conected to the kick mechanism has silver on the out side like it is rubbing, and the clutch basket has some play in it, is this normal or do I have washer out of order or do I need a new basket, or more.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-21-2008, 08:32 AM
When you pull the clutch cover, check the water pump shaft for play, should be very little side to side.
The counter balancer, you cant just replace the gear, it is sold as a complete unit from Honda. You can get the big bearing though through an aftermarket source. OEM bearing was a NTN #16007.
Your clutch basket will have some play but not a whole lot.
If it has a lot of play, the the shaft bearings & the inner race need replacing. The kick starter gear on the back of the clutch basket is the outer race to those shaft bearings.
Kick starter gear over time will wear on the shaft & then wobble some & touch the gear on the back of the clutch basket, I've seen alot of those like that even mine.

All these things listed will give you clatter.
Theres a bunch of things moving around in the bottom end of a 250R engine & unless every bearing, shaft, gear is new & tight they will make some noise.
You know when you replaced the piston & if the bore job was set up tight, piston to cylinder clearance, it should last awhile that is if you dont rev it to the moon & end up cracking it.
That the only noise to worrie about that could cause the most damage if ran & then comes apart, but clatters normal.
Neil

GOTFEAR
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
yea my 330 was clattering wen the tin came off my crank

C-LEIGH RACING
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
yea my 330 was clattering wen the tin came off my crank

Oh god, I bet it was.
How much damage you have after that.
Neil