PDA

View Full Version : does the 400ex have a rev limiter ??

dirtbike34j
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
does the 400ex have a rev limiter?? and if not how can u get it if possible like the blopping haha :D lep me know please thanks

bean2080
08-18-2008, 02:42 PM
it has one, give it some gas and youll notice it. beleave it or not, my 400 has been on the limiter for 5 min before. thats from one of them drunk nights. :eek2:

dirtbike34j
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
haha thanks is there any way to get it to be more noticeble i have a rrev box jet kit and white bros e series exahuse whats a more throuty sound thanks

08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by bean2080
it has one, give it some gas and youll notice it. beleave it or not, my 400 has been on the limiter for 5 min before. thats from one of them drunk nights. :eek2:

rofl at least someone believes in the thing! some people say if you hit the rev limiter for 30 seconds you will deffinately blow your motor. no, you wont because my friend proved that to my brother, myself and our friends. I have done it on mine for a second or 2 just for the hell of it, it was our old group call. 4 400ex all with HMF riding together and when they were in sync with eachother it sounded so sweet! i miss the old days of nobody having kids or wifes. Now we pretty much split up and hardly talk to eachother. but we had a red riders group, 6 400ex always riding together and stuff it was fun.

Ruby Soho
08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
ok let me make a few points.

1. there is a rev limiter

2. its not good to bounce off of it, because thats just wearing on every part of your motor twice as much as normal.

3. theres no point to be revving it that high, because the 400ex stops making its power around 6,000rpm i believe.

4. you won't make it more noticable, the only way you're going to make that happen is to take weight off your crank to make it rev quicker, therefor reaching the limit faster.

5. a rev box will make your quad rev higher, so it won't hit the limiter.

6. start caring about your engine

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
well, similar to ruby's post.

1) The stock rev limiter is at 9,100 rpm.

2) It's not good for your engine. I don't care who you are and how long you held it, it's your motor you're destroying, not mine.

3) The 400ex stops making power somewhere around 6,500 rpm. Slowly declines from there.

4) If you're hitting the rev limiter on a stock quad while riding, you don't know how to ride the 400ex because you shouldnt be hitting it. nevermind the aftermarket.

08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
[B]well, similar to ruby's post.

2) It's not good for your engine. I don't care who you are and how long you held it, it's your motor you're destroying, not mine.

3) The 400ex stops making power somewhere around 6,500 rpm. Slowly declines from there.
[B]

1) correct
2)somewhat, if you take engineering you will understand how many times safer they make it than it can actually go. They have it at that for a reason that it does not harm your engine and thats why they put it there. Obviously you probally wear out your rings faster the higher you rev and stuff but yournot destroying your motor.
3)thats also wrong, I have graphs to back myself up that the 400ex stock makes peak power from 6,800rpm - 7,400rpm its like a flat spot

ride_red666
08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
well, similar to ruby's post.

4) If you're hitting the rev limiter on a stock quad while riding, you don't know how to ride the 400ex because you shouldnt be hitting it. nevermind the aftermarket.

actually the stock rev limiter is set at about 8250 rpm. an aftermarket one moves it to 9100 rpm. but your right on everything else

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ride_red666
actually the stock rev limiter is set at about 8250 rpm. an aftermarket one moves it to 9100 rpm. but your right on everything else

no, look it up.

With my vapor tach, ive already had mine at 9010 rpm, with the stock cdi. I can get a pic if you want.

Aftermarket, can make it anywhere from 9,510- 11,010 depending on what you buy, but I doubt you will ever see that on a ex.

08-18-2008, 09:23 PM

dont tell me you are getting that 8250 from that one gearing calculator. It is 9,100 and I also have dyno graphs to back that too

ride_red666
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
from our shop mauals at work

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
from our shop mauals at work

the shop manual is wrong then.

Ask anyone and look all around, everyone and all the facts show the same thing, the rev limiter is 9100.

Are you sure you werent looking at a foreman 400 or whatever?

Ill have to try and snap a pic of my vapor tomorow night. I couldve kept going, but stopped at 9010 because I don't like to hold it WOT down the road for no reason.

ride_red666
08-18-2008, 09:47 PM
im sure it was the ex but might be wrong. i dunno if they changed it between the old ones and the new ones, i know the gearing changed in the front from 15 t to 14t

Hondamaster5505
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
im sure it was the ex but might be wrong. i dunno if they changed it between the old ones and the new ones, i know the gearing changed in the front from 15 t to 14t

yeah, rev limiters the same.

CDI is different though I believe because of the addition of reverse.

08-18-2008, 09:55 PM
the external gearing changed and so did the internal. they are almost the exact same speeds per gear the newer have a slightly lower top speed by 1MPH or so

justin1022
08-18-2008, 10:25 PM
if i go 5th gear tapped i CANT hit rev limitor not that i am wanting to i just tryed it once to see if i could or not is that regular or what?

coryatver
08-18-2008, 10:34 PM
thats normal it doesn't have enough power to pull 5th gear to 9100 rpms. You will probley hit it going down a hill though.

that is if you are talking stock if you are talking about with the mods in your sig then with a stage 2 box i don't know what that is but i would say it is a really high rev limit or no limit.

QuadManiac
08-19-2008, 02:44 AM
[
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

2)somewhat, if you take engineering you will understand how many times safer they make it than it can actually go. They have it at that for a reason that it does not harm your engine and thats why they put it there. Obviously you probally wear out your rings faster the higher you rev and stuff but yournot destroying your motor.

2) ALSO somewhat... they don't put the limiter there to prevent you from adding premature wear to your engine, they put it there to prevent you from blowing it up immediately. Harm YES, certain destruction, probably not.

Since I AM an advanced degree engineer with 30 years experience and similar experience with small IC engines, i can tell you that load on the reciprocating parts (and therefore wear) goes up by the SQUARE of RPM. SO, if you rev to 9100 (or whatever the limiter is) instead of 6500 or so, where you should shift to maximize power anyway, you are putting almost 3 times the normal load and wear on your rod, piston, crank, crank bearings, valves and cam. Usually, this just means those parts will wear out faster. Sometimes, however, a component (especially if it's used, as ALL of our parts are) is pushed just beyond its limit and fails under these conditions.

BTW, at least with the big 3 (pipe, jet, filter) i have hit the limiter a couple of times somewhat easily in 4th during brain fart, oh crap, i forgot to shift moments. 5th's a little tougher but it has happened.