PDA

View Full Version : Im an alcoholic..

MX MaNiAc 06
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Well i have finally come to the conclusion that its a problem. I am 18 years old and leaving for college in two weeks. I drink every night and if i dont have a drink by 10 or 11 i get a achy feeling in the back of my throat, my kidneys hurt, and my stomach just isnt right without beer. If i try to go two days without drinking i shake. I just got back from a camping trip that we drank all day every day. I woke up this morning at 10am and felt the feeling in my throat by noon. I have to stop this before i go to college or im going to flunk out. Any suggestions?

chris46250r
08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
AA

FasstMidnightZ
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Rehab, you need to Detox.
I've been through alot in the past yr including long jail time and mandatory Rehab. It prob saved my life. ;)

ALAMX37
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I myself am a recovering addict. First and foremost this has to be something that you want and that you will totally commit too or else you are wasting your time.
Withdrawals are going to be a B!otch.
But that comes with recovery. AA is a good place to get support. I had to separate myself from everyone I hung out with and all the things I use to do that was part of my habit. The first month will be the toughest part but if I can do it man anyone can.

Benjithx
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Get it fixed before you head off to school. Going to school with that problem will be a huge waste of money. College will always be there when you are healthy and ready.

Robin Hood
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Got a racing partner who has the same problems as you. If he doesn't have alcohol in his system he shakes pretty bad and gets migraines and he's only 19.

I'd try to ween yourself off it somehow before school.

bcg717
08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I use to have a problem. Its a life changing decision you have to make. You have to seperate yourself from the temptations, including friends at first. You need to seek help before it gets out of control. And i sure wouldnt go off to college with this problem, trust me it will only get worse. College will still be there next semester.

Best of luck man.

Prayers sent.

ZeroLogic
08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Stop drinking all together. Keep yourself busy. Keep away from your drinking buddies. Find something to do to always keep your busy. This is how I stopped drugs.:o

Now I have no friends at all!:macho

416exfreak
08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Stop drinking all together. Keep yourself busy. Keep away from your drinking buddies. Find something to do to always keep your busy. This is how I stopped drugs.:o

Same here.:chinese:

krt400ex
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

i tried to do a similar thing with sex...it didnt work :blah:

nowukno
08-18-2008, 07:20 PM
maybe try some non-alcoholic beer

ZeroLogic
08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i tried to do a similar thing with sex...it didnt work :blah:

Replacements.:chinese:

DEAL
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
caffine helped me stop drinking.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
May i suggest smoking weed?

ZeroLogic
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Yippie-Ki-Yay

No!

powermadd400ex
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
why in the hell would you replace one addiction with another thats is clearly worse

nickm328
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZeroLogic
[B]Stop drinking all together. Keep yourself busy. Keep away from your drinking buddies. Find something to do to always keep your busy. This is how I stopped drugs.:o

Same here, I used to have 2 sets of friends now I only have one!

extremeblastr
08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
why in the hell would you replace one addiction with another thats is clearly worse

sorry but it is scientifically proven that the only thing addicting about marijuana is that it becomes a part of your routine as it takes so long to leave your system that a phyiscal addiction never has time to develop, and despite what they tell you there are also multiple studies that claim it is less harmful then cigarettes.

SRH
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
replace drink time with work time, then the only problem youll have is excess cash for more toys and increasing your wealth, the void has to be filled one way or another just make it a positive habit

REDRIDDER
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Well i have finally come to the conclusion that its a problem. I am 18 years old and leaving for college in two weeks. I drink every night and if i dont have a drink by 10 or 11 i get a achy feeling in the back of my throat, my kidneys hurt, and my stomach just isnt right without beer. If i try to go two days without drinking i shake. I just got back from a camping trip that we drank all day every day. I woke up this morning at 10am and felt the feeling in my throat by noon. I have to stop this before i go to college or im going to flunk out. Any suggestions? You better stay off that R!

bean2080
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
i agree, stay busy. buy yourself some junk motor and get it running. thats what i did and slowly but surely my cigarette need dropped. i am now down to almost needing no cigs, its acually been weeks since i had some. beleave me its tough, but you can do it, always remember that.

ricksmx865
08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by SRH
replace drink time with work time, then the only problem youll have is excess cash for more toys and increasing your wealth, the void has to be filled one way or another just make it a positive habit

^^x2

also like many have said, you have to surround yourself with friends and family that care enough about you to support you in a positive way, I too used to drink too much.. i wouldnt say i was to a point where i neeeded it i was just to a point where i was constantly f**cking things up and hurting the ones that cared about me...... Now ive just learned not to put myself into those types of situations

If you truly want to overcome this you can, just keep busy and surround yourself with positive friends

mine
08-18-2008, 11:52 PM
damn dude, how bad do you have it, 18 and you're an alcoholic ?

Warnerade
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
May i suggest smoking weed? you must like proving the quote in your sig correct huh?

ironic...

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
sorry but it is scientifically proven that the only thing addicting about marijuana is that it becomes a part of your routine as it takes so long to leave your system that a phyiscal addiction never has time to develop, and despite what they tell you there are also multiple studies that claim it is less harmful then cigarettes. did you read that in high times?

j_cyrus3
08-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
did you read that in high times?

Read up...

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml#3-3

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
Read up...

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml#3-3 were you always the kid that was left out of every joke played on another kid in highschool because you never had a clue what was going on?

CannondaleRider
08-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Keeping yourself busy will work, if it was a psychological addiction.

A physical addiction to alcohol will require detox.....alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.

j_cyrus3
08-19-2008, 01:37 AM
were you always the kid that was left out of every joke played on another kid in highschool because you never had a clue what was going on?

nice...
http://www.plentyoffish.com/member3257643.htm

is it hard for someone like you to find love, shawn?

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 01:44 AM
and theres a reason your looking at male profiles, Jake?

but yes, actually...it is. Working 70+ hours a week on night shift makes a bit hard to "find love" as you would say.

lets try and not ruin the thread...smoking weed is not an alternative to cure alcoholism, is all I was getting at....you just, didnt see the point I was making...

MX MaNiAc 06
08-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Well my friend had some ppl over. I went, left my beer at home. I was doing fine then some kid pulled out a bottle n we all started drinking. Here i am again at 4:15 am not tired wanting more. This has to stop. i appreciate everyones advice. I think im going to go to AA. If i dont improve in the next week im going to tell my parents. Im glad nobody bashed.

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 02:24 AM
in all seriousness, my buddy used to be an alcoholic...3 DUI's later, he finally stopped. its been 6 years since his last DUI and he still attends AA meetings, not becaus he needs to but because they became his friends...

I'll tell you right now the first step to getting better is not AA, its finding new friends...as hard of a task as that may be. Take the good times you've had for what its worth and dont hang aorund em until you can see someone drinking a beer and not get an itch for it.

Ask any recovering alcoholic, and I'll betcha 99% of them found new friends when they sobered up.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-19-2008, 02:28 AM
in all seriousness, my buddy used to be an alcoholic...3 DUI's later, he finally stopped. its been 6 years since his last DUI and he still attends AA meetings, not becaus he needs to but because they became his friends...

I'll tell you right now the first step to getting better is not AA, its finding new friends...as hard of a task as that may be. Take the good times you've had for what its worth and dont hang aorund em until you can see someone drinking a beer and not get an itch for it.

Ask any recovering alcoholic, and I'll betcha 99% of them found new friends when they sobered up.

Well two weeks.. i go to college and know no one. So that is deffinately something ill keep in mind. Im going to a dry campus that is not known for its partying. When i was 16 i hung around some kids 21-22. They said i was in training for my college. Spent my whole summer at their house drinking myself into a coma every night n i havent stopped since.

j_cyrus3
08-19-2008, 02:38 AM

100% agree. If you can get away from your friends now and find some new friends it will be 10x easier. I have a buddy that came back from rehab about 6 months ago, he's doing great now. Had another friend that went out last month and he's gonna be gone for a while. It sucks to see the people you grew up around having to go to rehab. The first step is admitting you have a problem, and you have done that here. Good luck.

bwamos
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
If i dont improve in the next week im going to tell my parents. Im glad nobody bashed.

Honestly.. give the folks some credit. They were your age once too. If it's seriously a problem, the sooner you tell them the better.

They can act as accountability partners.

Stay AWAY from parties. Try to keep group activities to public venues where it's illegal for anyone to serve you alcohol. ;)

I suggest you talk to your friends and let them know what you want.

Now is when you find out who your real friends are. The one's you'll want to keep. ;) Perhaps you'll be supprised and find 1 or 2 that want the same thing. Or, you might find out that they are all doushebags.. lol.

stoopidbot
08-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex

Alcohol is way worse. If the FDA had never seen either one and they were both shown to them Alcohol would be illegal, not pot. A addiction is a change in your chemical pattern and and levels in your brain. Pot does none of this. Once you are addicted to something you always are. Everything from that point on is an addict in recovery.

I would never push my life style on someone but to say that pot is worse is ignorant. Do some research, you never hear of domestic violence that was caused from pot. 98% of them are alcohol related. Tobacco is worse than pot.

krt400ex
08-19-2008, 07:25 AM
you must like proving the quote in your sig correct huh?

ironic...

lmao, that was exactly my thought.

extremeblastr
08-19-2008, 07:54 AM
were you always the kid that was left out of every joke played on another kid in highschool because you never had a clue what was going on?

are you so high up on your fricken horse that you can't deal with the fact that your wrong?

ridered11
08-19-2008, 08:24 AM
play a sport

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
are you so high up on your fricken horse that you can't deal with the fact that your wrong? well I'm glad I still managed to get under your skin lol...what was I wrong about? How weed is not a good alternative to cure alcoholism? hmmm...

never once said anything in that article wasnt true, its just an arrogant statement and I'm still baffled that it was actually brought up as a serious suggestion...

stoopidbot
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I agree with you on that. Pot will not get you sober. It will just give you another vice.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ridered11
play a sport

Read the bottom of my profile man.. MX is pretty much all i got. I grenaded my motor right before summer n my quad deffinately would have helped.

Pot.. i dont do that stuff. U want me to start smoking pot before i go to college? Thats going to help everything. haha Im seeing a girl tonight. I told her i needed to give my liver a break n i think she can substitute. ;)

Pappy
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Youve recognized a problem, your wanting to take steps to handle it...sounds good so far.

Just look in the mirror every morning and ask yourself if you want to be a damn drunk....or worse yet a pothead.

54warrior
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Youve recognized a problem, your wanting to take steps to handle it...sounds good so far.

Just look in the mirror every morning and ask yourself if you want to be a damn drunk....or worse yet a pothead.

Good advice!!!

400EXtreme
08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
only way you'll get yourself to stop is if YOU want too. You have to be totally committed or it wont happen. tell your friends how you have to quit im sure they'll help you if not there not your friends. I wish you the best of luck. You can do ittt

stoopidbot
08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

Good advise, but what on earth makes you think being a pot head is worse than an alcoholic?

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
Good advise, but what on earth makes you think being a pot head is worse than an alcoholic? kids these days...

jcv400ex
08-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
nice...
http://www.plentyoffish.com/member3257643.htm

is it hard for someone like you to find love, shawn?

HAHA!

FasstMidnightZ
08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Lets stay on track and give the guy advice he needs. Not discussing which drug is worse. All drugs are bad which alcohol is a drug. ;)
Look into meetings like mentioned, change ppl, places, and things around you. If its still being a major problem look into Rehab.

08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
what can happen if you are caught in possession of pot?

let's contact a lawyer and ask...

extremeblastr
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
well I'm glad I still managed to get under your skin lol...what was I wrong about? How weed is not a good alternative to cure alcoholism? hmmm...

never once said anything in that article wasnt true, its just an arrogant statement and I'm still baffled that it was actually brought up as a serious suggestion...

i understand what you were saying its not a good alternative, but you came across as just another one of those people who automatically tosses it in the hardcore druggy bin because of what they've heard.

extremeblastr
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad

let's contact a lawyer and ask...

lets also take a look at 90% of the other countries in the world(only those with a proper societal structure of course) and wonder why we're the only one that still cuffs everybody that uses it. i am not a user, it would jeopardize to many things i've worked for in my life, but i think its time that the population comes to terms with the fact that its not as bad as its made out to be.

Master LTR450
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Like everyone has said already its all up to YOU. YOU have to really be ready to take that next step since you already took the first step and admitted you have a problem. Im not going to sit here and tell you what everyone else has alrweady told you because you should know that by now. You have to be ready and willing to help yourself before anyone else can help you though.

As for all you people sitting there degrading the pot smoking i would like to let you all know that there is only one reason it is not legal in the US. The government can not figure out a proper way to tax it and still make enough money without everyone else growing there own supply. Also if pot is SOOO bad why do they prescibe it to certain people??? Tell me 1 negative think about smoking pot honestly??? Alcholol is way worse for your body that pot is!!! Alcholol should have been an illegal substance way before pot was ever. And to everyone thats going to sit there and say "well pot is a gateway drug" NO IT ISNT. trust me i know

But pot isnt the answer for this. And lets not turn this into a alcholol vs pot thread. Make a new one if thats what it going to come too.

08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
bad or not...it is illegal...end of story, end of discussion...the young man has asked for help...telling him to switch to pot is not going to help at all...it still affect the way he acts when on it. go to class high or drunk, same results failure...if he even goes to class at all...
get high or go to class...get high or go to class...class is boring...getting high is fun...i'll skip class today...i have seen it many times...my "drug" for my first freshman year was billiards and ping-pong in the afternoon...drinking at night...sleeping during the day...i lasted a year...took a year off and got my head together and went back to school with different results...

Warnerade
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
i understand what you were saying its not a good alternative, but you came across as just another one of those people who automatically tosses it in the hardcore druggy bin because of what they've heard. or maybe I used to be a frequent user when I was younger and have seen it first hand ruin lives and careers...thats why i put it in the so called "hardcore druggy bin".

and JCV, way to prove my thoughts about you correct. That was far from a "owning"..you wouldnt know a good one if it kicked you in the face.

justin1022
08-19-2008, 12:32 PM
all drugs screw you up i never smoked pot at all or ever drank im only 15 but i just dont see what the point is i would rather go racing or to a freinds rideing then go to a party and smoke crack and drink.

stoopidbot
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad

let's contact a lawyer and ask... In Denver, nothing. It's legal to have up to an oz.

In no way am I telling the guy to start smoking. He has done the hardest part and come to the realization and was able to admit he needs help. From here you need to inform your loved ones of what you are facing. That is where alot of your strength and support is going to come from. There is alot of support in AA type groups. Tell the people you hang out with how you feel. Like said by others, if they are a real friend they will not contribute to your addiction and they will support you.

GodSpeed and good luck to you.

stoopidbot
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
i would rather go racing or to a freinds rideing then go to a party and smoke crack and drink.

Who ever said anything about crack? If you think they are on the same level, WAY OFF!

Pappy
08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Good advise, but what on earth makes you think being a pot head is worse than an alcoholic?

Because at this point in his life, he isnt a full blown alky, but he could easily turn to dope in lue of beer. Both a drunk and a doper are worthless to me, absolutley no use for either of them.

I would suggest you sticking to helping the kid instead of looking to promote your view on drugs and alcohol....that goes for everyone else as well. Try another site of you wish to discuss this type of issue...end of story

justin1022
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Who ever said anything about crack? If you think they are on the same level, WAY OFF!

ok fine sorry pot but to me its all just as bad.

j_cyrus3
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
lets also take a look at 90% of the other countries in the world(only those with a proper societal structure of course) and wonder why we're the only one that still cuffs everybody that uses it. i am not a user, it would jeopardize to many things i've worked for in my life, but i think its time that the population comes to terms with the fact that its not as bad as its made out to be.

I think it should be legalized. If it were, our government would make a KILLING off of taxes. There are a lot more people that are closet smokers than you would ever think of. I am personally not a user, but I see nothing wrong with it. If you want to get high, have at it I'll sit back and watch.

The only reason I posted that link towards warnerade, is I thought he just tossed it with the hardcore stuff like crack, cocaine, meth, ect... I have nothing against him, I was just trying to further his education on marijuana.