PDA

View Full Version : Is this deal to good to be true??

73watermutt
08-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I am trying to find a couple of quads fro me and the wife without breaking the bank. I found this 86 250r and the price is right but I would like any opinions on it from the pics. Thanks

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=2&campid=5335909541&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=300250048878&item=300250048878

250Renvy
08-18-2008, 08:55 AM
What makes you think it's too good to be true?

It looks like it is priced about right, probably hoping for a quick sale. But you get what you pay for so don't expect it to be in perfect condition, or ready to ride. Most quads priced like that will need a top end, chain/sprockets, most likely all bearings, it's got stock shocks so they will likely be shot. You'd probably put $500 + into it to make it rideable.

If you are on a budget, don't always look at price because sometimes things seem like a deal until you get riding and find you are "down" more than able to ride.

I don't know what you plan on doing, or your size, but you should look at a couple of 300ex's. They can usually be picked up for really cheap $1000-$1500 and they are bulletproof.

LONG-ROD
08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree these things are 20 years old, mine was great looking exspecially in a pic, picked it up for 2700 and I am 2700 more into already and need to put another 3000 and it will be a nice quad. Alot of stuff has to be replaced most likly, pivot bolt and bearings, motor mounts, top end and good chance crank bearing and seals, reeds, mechanical seal, wheel bearings, axle bearing, and thats just the beging, wait untill you see all the goodies you can put on these things.

mineralgrey01gt
08-18-2008, 12:32 PM
isnt that the 86 that is for sale on trx250r.net?

deathman53
08-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I would look at it in person. Bring a compression tester, somekind of atv/dirtbike stand and request that the bike doesn't have the plastics/tank on. Learn from us that have bought bikes that look real nice until you look closer. Raise the back and put the stand under it, shake the rear end, there should be little to no movement. Put the stand under the front and shake the a-arms and ball joint. W/O plastic/tank on the bike, look at the frame close, they always crack at the foot pegs, front motor mounts, bottom motor mounts and where the stem clamp in. At the same look closely at the front of the swingarm, always crack there. If you find that the swingarm bearings need to be replaced, you better price into a $70 swingarm bolt, new collars, bearings and seals. The swingarm bolts love to seize into the collars and alot of times the only way to get it out is to cut the bolt between the frame and swingarm, its not fun.

As others said, figure putting 2-3g's into this until you make it real nice, none said, check to make sure the brake caliper pins are free and move easy. I've been through everything from frame to motor and suspension problems on used bikes and they cost me easily twice what I paid by the time I was done with everything.

73watermutt
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah I don't want to put a fortune into it before I can ride it. I am just looking for a deacent quad to play around with.