PDA

View Full Version : gas in air filter box

dirkdiglar
08-18-2008, 06:15 AM
i have an older 99 polaris 500 sportsman. i rode if for quite some time over the weekend and it would stall out sometimes after coming to a stop but would start right back up. later in the evening it stalled and there was a bunch of gas in the air filter box. this is not the first time it has happened i usually pull the air box plug and wait 10 minutes then it will start back up,, this time it started but ran horrible.. any suggestions ?

dirkdiglar
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
carburetor issues? what would i need to do?

heideman33ex
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
i have that exact same problem with my 99 sportsman 500. i could use a little assistants myslef. thanks

dirkdiglar
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
i finally figured it out after plenty of questions... remove the carb and turn it upside down,, careful taking the 4 screws out of the bottom of the carb because they tend to strip out very easy. remove the the cover and you will see the float in there. there is a needle that is hooked on the float.. the needle has a little rubber tip on it that wears out and causes it to stick which floods out your quad. you will probably just need to buy a new one. i got mine off of ebay for like $30 or something,, it comes with a seat that the needle fits in also. its actually pretty easy to do and is much cheaper than taking to your dealer.. shouldnt have anymore problems after the switch.