PDA

View Full Version : confused about what to get

whitebros400
08-17-2008, 01:41 PM
well in a few months i will be getting a new machine and i hace 3 of them on my mind. a 450r,yfz or a yz250f and i like all of them. my friend that i ride with used to have a 2006 450r and i rode it and i was a blast, now that he sold it he got a yz250f and i rode it and basically i didnt want to get off of it. now that im getting a new machine he told me to get a yz250f or a yfz. can you guys tell me which 1 i should get so i wont regret it.:D

k4f5x0r
08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
out of the choices. 450r hands down. its kinda hard to compare a dirtbike to two quads. and why are these your only choices?

whitebros400
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
well i haven't really looked i could get a kfx or ltr but they are kinda out of my price range, but i still will get 1. I heard that the yfz was the fastest stock and i forgot to mention that i do mostly trail riding. My friend that had the 450r put a hmf,k&nfilter,stage 2 cam and the dirtbike left it

XCRacer236
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM
you gotta figure out quad or dirtbike first...

BMW Dr.
08-31-2008, 09:16 PM
You are going to get a wide variety of opinions on the quads mentioned. IMO you can't go wrong with the 450R or YFZ 450. It sounds like you are looking for a used bike........if so, definately spend some time looking around for a good deal. Unfortunately, our dirt toys don't hold value very well. Take advantage of that though, and find a quad or bike that has been well taken care of, and has all/most modifications done that you will want to do.

I went out and bought a new one because I just HAD to have this color scheme. Had I put more thought into it, I would have researched and picked up a built used one.

PapaJoe
09-01-2008, 07:28 AM
If you are doing trail riding only the YFZ450 will be OK but it won't compare to the KFX450R in the comfort & low end power categories. I just rode both this weekend and was totally amazed at the differences. Both were relatively stock ( jetting & some air box work). The KFX is a little more pricey but you will be getting your money's worth. It has an aluminum frame, reverse, no carb to mess with, and a ton of throttle response at any RPM just for starters. The 450R has throttle response at any RPM range as the YFZ didn't. The seat height is different and bars & pegs are positioned different. The 450R is more comfortable to ride with more low end power & reverse. Don't get me wrong, the YFZ has plenty of power after you get some R's up but you will be shifting all the time in the trails. The colors say it all in this picture:
http://www.choppix.com/keb/quads.jpg
Red = stop
Yellow = caution
Green = GO!!!
I ride that old 400EX. It is a turd compared to the 450s. :)

Pappy
09-01-2008, 07:32 AM
If its just trail riding, why not consider one of the 400 cc machines?

My advice, especially with how expensive things are, is to do your best to get a ride on the models you are interested in. They all have their good and bad points and you might be surprised at what you actually like once youve riden them!

BMW Dr.
09-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by PapaJoe
[B]If you are doing trail riding only the YFZ450 will be OK but it won't compare to the KFX450R in the comfort & low end power categories.......
The 450R has throttle response at any RPM range as the YFZ didn't. .........the YFZ has plenty of power after you get some R's up but you will be shifting all the time in the trails

By comfort, I assume you are speaking of suspension? I know the YFZ has one of the more 'harsh' rides, especially in the trails. Its all on what you prefer I guess. As far low end power and throttle response.......both of those are easily fixed with proper jetting. The Yam's are lean from the factory as most know. Definately can't argue with those statements though, when comparing stock to stock. Those are definately normal characteristics on a stock YFZ. I just wanted to clarify that they could easily be fixed. :)

YFZ + cam mod + exhaust + jetting + o-ring mod = insane difference. And to get there, all of those mods mentioned are "free" pending you can do them yourself, minus the exhaust obviously.

Gray33
09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
The yfz 450 pretty much owns the trails. i ride down in a river bed and we go through 3ft of water and my yfz still does great. My opinion is to you is not to buy the first quad like i did lol..Could have gotten one with alot of stuff on it for what i paid for mine but mine was a left over bill balance edition

PapaJoe
09-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by BMW Dr.
By comfort, I assume you are speaking of suspension? I know the YFZ has one of the more 'harsh' rides, especially in the trails. Its all on what you prefer I guess. As far low end power and throttle response.......both of those are easily fixed with proper jetting. The Yam's are lean from the factory as most know. Definately can't argue with those statements though, when comparing stock to stock. Those are definately normal characteristics on a stock YFZ. I just wanted to clarify that they could easily be fixed. :)

YFZ + cam mod + exhaust + jetting + o-ring mod = insane difference. And to get there, all of those mods mentioned are "free" pending you can do them yourself, minus the exhaust obviously.
By comfort I mean riding position, foot position, bar position. The 2 I rode were mostly stock out the door except for jetting the YFZ and air box changes. The KFX was bone stock except for dropping 1 tooth on the rear. No matter how many carb changes you make will never add a reverse. Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha was fast, very fast but putting it side by side with the Kawasaki in nearly out the door condition, the KFX responds better, rides better and can back up. This is my opinion. I know there are many people that would buy blue no matter how it performed and swear by it. I was just surprised at the difference in the 2 when riding one, jumping off and riding the other. That personal comparison would send me to the Kawasaki dealer if I was buying new. The KFX was more money but the YFZ was a new 2006 and bought at the same time as the 2008 KFX.

As far low end power and throttle response.......both of those are easily fixed with proper jetting. The Yam's are lean from the factory as most know. Definately can't argue with those statements though, when comparing stock to stock. Those are definately normal characteristics on a stock YFZ. I just wanted to clarify that they could easily be fixed.My point exactly. The YFZ needs tweaking, the KFX doesn't.

whitebros400
09-05-2008, 09:13 PM
yea i already have a 400ex and it doesnt cut it for me, basically i get left by my friends. The kfx is kinda out of my price range but i could get it. When i sit on a yfz it doesn't feel comfortable at all to me.