PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust

H0nDo
12-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Has anyone ever had a dual exhaust put on a 400ex...

Pro400EXC
12-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Man I swear.all these dual exhaust freaks,no it can be doen,but it would suck,and do nothing for power...if you want duals sop bad,go to the muffler shop,and have em weld you up some dual flowmaster's on your Ghetto Cruiser's...

njbudman81
12-07-2002, 12:09 AM
duel exhaust on a quad u have got to be kiddin me. its like the people that put it on neons and crap. there is just no point. all it will do is cost money

Juggalo
12-07-2002, 08:07 AM
even if you have a banshee?

sweet300ex
12-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
even if you have a banshee?
well they cime stock like that

TRXRacer1
12-07-2002, 11:09 AM
It could be done but you would have big power losses compared to a 2 in to 1.

RED121572
12-07-2002, 11:27 AM
Ok, maybe someone on here knows something I dont.

Not to bash anyone, but please make me understand why a true duel exhaust would be bad on the 400? If it would be the case of lost back pressure, I could certainly understand that. Then, you would just have to retune both muffs.

Need input!! lol

L.Vegas400
12-07-2002, 11:30 AM
its actually a 350x motor but follows the same line. here is an old ebay page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871289757

H0nDo
12-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Same question as Red....

300EXroostking
12-21-2002, 04:23 PM
hey pro400exc can you post a pic of your bike?

Sportrax10
12-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
Ok, maybe someone on here knows something I dont.

Not to bash anyone, but please make me understand why a true duel exhaust would be bad on the 400? If it would be the case of lost back pressure, I could certainly understand that. Then, you would just have to retune both muffs.

Need input!! lol

Weight is one reason.

H0nDo
12-21-2002, 08:13 PM
A extra 5-10 pounds isnt gonna hurt that much....the rider makes a bigger difference

12-21-2002, 11:09 PM
i got them duals

Davids440ex
12-21-2002, 11:37 PM
H0nDo A extra 5-10 pounds isnt gonna hurt that much....the rider makes a bigger difference

if you are a racer it is.

RED121572
12-22-2002, 05:23 AM
Weight? Good point.:D

nj300exr
12-22-2002, 05:50 AM
not to flame or piss anyone off but i am a lil pissed and confused. what is the main point of an exhaust and intake? better flow. what is with this back pressure s**t it is not true. these engines do not need a crazy amount of back pressure. if that they dont relly need any. ask any mechanic and they will tell you wut the best thing you can do for an engine is let it brath easier and give it better flow. so i would think that the daul exhaust would be great. it would give it much better flow and actually if done right it would look pretty cool. it would be some thing differeent so before you flame on it think about it.

RED121572
12-22-2002, 06:11 AM
You always want some sort of back pressure. 0% backpressure can cause problems in a hurry. It can cause your piston rod to stretch and therefor having your piston smack the head.

Anyone else have any input?

12-22-2002, 09:49 AM
If you have 0 back pressure you lose power, but i think duals would be cool

lilpoppy
12-22-2002, 10:05 AM
I havn't had a chance to study a dmc alien pipe in person but as far as i can tell it is dual exhaust but connected into one pipe. Correct me if im wrong but it looks like you could cut the muffler in half and it would be the same thing and it doesnt have any problems with back pressure and it give a pretty good power gain.

RED121572
12-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Your right, that DMC is a true duel with one silencer.

Sportrax10
12-22-2002, 11:17 AM
I saw a pipe kinda like the DMC on line somewhere, except there where two pipes on the same side. I forget what company makes it though.

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-22-2002, 12:02 PM
and what about the Duncan pipe instead of the DMC crap ?

I have one and I guarrantee it giv's you a good powergain in low en middle end .

And it is a True dual , right till the end ...

lilpoppy
12-22-2002, 12:40 PM
What exactily makes the dmc crap?

powerslider
12-22-2002, 05:58 PM
D&D Powersports has duel exhaust for the EX, twin pipes and silencers....

http://www.ddracing.com

12-22-2002, 06:40 PM
http://www.ddracing.com/_Uploads/products/746.jpg

rhandw69
12-23-2002, 01:53 PM
I think you maybe just wanting something like DMCs or DUncan racing. That in a way is duel exhausts.

Texan32
12-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by nj300exr
not to flame or piss anyone off but i am a lil pissed and confused. what is the main point of an exhaust and intake? better flow. what is with this back pressure s**t it is not true. these engines do not need a crazy amount of back pressure. if that they dont relly need any. ask any mechanic and they will tell you wut the best thing you can do for an engine is let it brath easier and give it better flow. so i would think that the daul exhaust would be great. it would give it much better flow and actually if done right it would look pretty cool. it would be some thing differeent so before you flame on it think about it.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE BACK PREASURE! Unless you are running at a constant 10-12 THOUSAND RPM, i'll say it again...YOU HAVE TO HAVE BACK PREASURE.

For those who don't believe, do us all a favor. take the guts out of your exhaust. leave it WIDE OPEN. Go for a good hour of riding. Now, when you have to call someone to come pick your silly arse up cuz you motor locked up from BENDING VALVES and SMOKING A PISTON, i'll look you in the eye and start crying cuz i'm laughing so hard.

You kids need to learn a little about how motors work before you go spotin off (NJ300, this isn't directed just at you). Do you think the R%D at flow master are making HEALTHY salaries to design a hallowed out muffler? NO! You ever seen a cross section of a Flowmaster? There are deflector/reflector plates all in that thing. THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON. Ever pull apart your EX exhaust (stock or aftermarket)? There are baffles there FOR A REASON.

It really annoys me when peple rattle off about stuff the know NOTHING about! For the DMC. I know how they work, because i have one and have taken it apart before. In the pic, the green in open area. The blue is the fiberglass packing. The plate between the open are and the 'glass is what creates the backpreasure.
With that in mind, and looking at the pic that exracer posted, there is no reason that true duels can't be made. There probably isn't enough demand for such a creature. Engineers would have to figure an economical and SAFE way to run the exhaust out the left side of the machine.

Ralph
12-23-2002, 02:34 PM
dmc, and duncan both make dual exhausts

Davids440ex
12-23-2002, 02:36 PM
YOU HAVE TO HAVE BACK PREASURE! Unless you are running at a constant 10-12 THOUSAND RPM, i'll say it again...YOU HAVE TO HAVE BACK PREASURE.

yup yup i'm some what a kid and i know that all 4 strokes have to have backpreasure. i also do my own engine work.

Dudefire607
12-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Duals wouold be fine on an EX if designed with proper back-pressure. The strokers need less back pressure than the smokers but they still need it (back-pressure). All you guys saying you'd lose all your power need to process before you output! Heck, you could make a single with less bp than a dual if you don't know wtf you're doin. If somebody wants duals on they're EX bad enough and they got the dough, it can be done.

DF...

crashinmatt
12-23-2002, 03:47 PM
i know that back preesure is needed, otherwise u end up screwin thew valves up, but correct me if im wrong, the more back pressure u have, the better bottom end power u have, and the less back pressure, the more top end power is produced. in other words, higher back pressure is good for bottom end and less is good for top end. i believe this to be correct, but i may be wrong.

Texan32
12-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Crash,
Your exactly right....to an extent. You can only allow the exhaust to build so much back preasure before it cut your flow to the point of choking the exhaust.

Think about pipes. Ever notice that some pipes are divided into low end-mid range-high end pipes?! Flow and back preasure are how they all differ. Ask a pro TT racer if he would use the pipe he is running in a MX race. The answer is NO. TT pipes are as close as you will come to a straight pipe. And for good reason. They run in the upper rpm's all the time. At the same time, i'm willing to bet that that same TT pro also has MUCH different valves than stock so no to burn them up.

Person experience to prove the point. 96 Dodge Dakota. 318 with Mopar headers, roller rockers and Gibson SINGLE 3" cat-back exhaust. The truck origionally had a custom built 2.5" TRUE dual exhaust with an H-pipe and a pair of Flows'. For kicks (the guy was a parts dealer and got stuff CHEAP), he ordered the gibson system. ON A DYNO, THE Gibson 3" SINGLE PIPE exhaust made MORE usable ponies than the true duals!

Pro400EXC
12-25-2002, 09:04 PM
Hey Texan...Jerry jones actually runs his TT poipe for MX,he says it works the best w/ his Sparks Motor....

But i dunno bout other fellow riders....

Texan32
12-26-2002, 06:14 AM
NOPE.....Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys:huh :blah :D

Pro400EXC
12-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Hahha Lol...i hope you know I meant Jerimiah Jones....lol