PDA

View Full Version : Which Cam?

GTRider256
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
which cam would be better for a 416
a hrc copy
http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3867&category_id=127&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

or a hotcams stage 1 2 or 3 i like some torgue not just top end

underpowered
08-15-2008, 11:14 PM
alot depends on the rest of your build and how you plan to ride it.

for starters i would rule out the stage 1 hotcam. not worth it for any riding IMO.

have heard many good things about the HRC but never ridden one.

had an old stage 2 and loved it, but have yet to try the new stage 2.

for my uses, i have a stage 3 and love it. great cam, with my motor i still have tons of low end but it also never stops pulling on top either.

GTRider256
08-16-2008, 12:04 AM
i'm going to add a little compresion and have a full pro circuit pipe and k+n filter. I like to climb hills and mostly trail ride

08-16-2008, 12:11 AM
just wondering why rule out the stage 1 hotcam? my brother had it and i liked it it had more power all around. Then again i havent tried the stage 2 with a fairly stock motor only a stage 3 on a 440 stroker. Whats that core charge for the HRC all about? do they take your stock cam and add material or something to make it the same profile as the HRC? is there any other places to get an HRC cam besides xr? I heard they are good after searching all these forums that they are between stage 1 and stage 2 hotcams. If Honda made it it must be good

underpowered
08-16-2008, 06:16 AM
i had a stage 1 and hated it. it did add power, but absolutely fell on its face on top end. you could notice a huge drop in the powerband.

i would say a stage 2 is the best bet. not all top end, not all low end but a nice mix from what i have heard. either that, or the HRC copy

exrider12
08-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Stage onr gives the most bottom end and overall increase over the bottom to the upper mid of the power band. The top end of the power band falls a little.

Stage two you get all your power up top and lose power every where else in the power band.

underpowered
08-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

Stage two you get all your power up top and lose power every where else in the power band.

thats where you are wrong. the stage 2 is better for power everywhere. the stage 3 is more of a top end only cam. granted my stage two did not gain me any low end, but i did not lose any and i definitely gained some mid range as well at top end. and the new stage 2 is supposedly better for all around power than the old one was.

08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
someone needs to buy all 3 and dyno this lol. I would love to see the different cams even besides the hotcam and how they compare to eachother. maybe some company will do it for us 400ex guys like they did with the pipe tests and stuff

flauge
08-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
i had a stage 1 and hated it. it did add power, but absolutely fell on its face on top end. you could notice a huge drop in the powerband.
True that. I was expecting a whole different machine when I put mine in. It was not as much like I thought it'd be.
A buddy of mine put in a Magnum Stg 2 in his. Its supposed to be more aggressive than the hc stg3. We both have the same engine setup just with different cams and his is explosive! I got a hc stg 3 sittin on the shelf now for when ever I rebuild to a 416.:cool: