PDA

View Full Version : need some help--smoke

allhondaman
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
just recently i noticed my 99 400ex starting to smoke. but the weird thing is it only does it in the first minute or so after i start it or after i let it idle for a while like for 3+ minutes. its not a huge amount but i dont like any smoke unless its coming out of my 2T bike. do u have any idea of what it is caused by? i highly doubt its my rings since i dont run it too hard and it has not been misused at all. it does have real cheap oil in it instead of the aimoil it usually receives, could that be it? could my jetting be off?
thanks for any info

drew416ex
08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Since its a '99 it could be rings but since it just does it on start up its most likely valve seals leaking. That cheap oil probably doesnt help either though if you were using amsoil.

MtnEX
08-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Go back to your regular oil.

What's in it now is working it's way down through the valvetrain.
Your regular stuff may do it too.

If so, you know your engine is telling you politely a little in advance to start saving some beans to get things freshed up before long.

justin1022
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by allhondaman
just recently i noticed my 99 400ex starting to smoke. but the weird thing is it only does it in the first minute or so after i start it or after i let it idle for a while like for 3+ minutes. its not a huge amount but i dont like any smoke unless its coming out of my 2T bike. do u have any idea of what it is caused by? i highly doubt its my rings since i dont run it too hard and it has not been misused at all. it does have real cheap oil in it instead of the aimoil it usually receives, could that be it? could my jetting be off?
thanks for any info

um well my buddys 450r did this last weekend it started like a real unnoticable smoke only on start up then when he started rideing really hard it got worse and worse on the track so he ripped it apart and one valve seal was ripped a easy way to tell is if you go from your intake boot on your carb the part were it goes to the inside of the engien and wipe somthing in there and see if oil is on it.. it shoould work.

allhondaman
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
just cause my quad is a 99 does not mean squat. im possitive it has less hours on it than most 04s easily. it was stored for 2 years without running and before that it was riddin not even once a month. ill check the valves (i mean have a mechanic do it) and change back to the ams oil. and ill check the carb intake for oil as suggested. you think that will take care of it? oh and i have a frient with an 01 400ex thats is eating oil and smoking so i know that needs a new top end. my question is, how much would it be at a dealer that charges 60$ an hour + everything for the top end?

MtnEX
08-17-2008, 11:01 AM
just cause my quad is a 99 does not mean squat. im possitive it has less hours on it than most 04s easily. it was stored for 2 years without running and before that it was riddin not even once a month. ill check the valves (i mean have a mechanic do it) and change back to the ams oil. and ill check the carb intake for oil as suggested. you think that will take care of it? oh and i have a frient with an 01 400ex thats is eating oil and smoking so i know that needs a new top end. my question is, how much would it be at a dealer that charges 60$ an hour + everything for the top end?

Yeah, if it sat that long, my bet would be the valve seals.
Just dried and cracked.

justin1022
08-17-2008, 05:11 PM

well i no most people wont agree with me on this one but i would just do it your self buy a clymax book and do it your self. im only 15 and did my 1st rebuild recently all by that book and it went 100% i have been rideing on it for like a month now and no smoke!

08-17-2008, 05:18 PM
i have a clymer book on the 400ex and its very helpful

blaaze416
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Fox, how much more in depth is the Clymer than the Honda manual. That is if you've had a Honda manual, I guess.

08-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I have the Honda manual that came with the quad if thats what your asking? The Clymer has pictures in black and white of course but pictures and pretty detailed instructions on everything. They have like diagrams of parts and where each part fits too. You could rebuild a whole quad with it or even learn how to adjust your shocks.

blaaze416
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
See, I bought my quad through ebay, (god save the queen), and it came with a computer print out of a manual. It says Honda, so I guess it's the same as the one that comes with the quad. I just want a more detailed manual....but don't want to spent the $ if what I have will suffice. I'll have to check into the Clymer.

wheel_spacers
08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
i had a clymer for my old 400ex.. best investment i ever made for the quad:p

blaaze416
08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Btw allhondaman, definitley your valve seals...sitting too long is no good.

And wheel spacers, did you also have a honda manual prior to your clymer? Just gathering info, for when I rebuild this winter.