PDA

View Full Version : idles......then dies...

450raider
08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
well ive been asking plenty of how tos on here the past couple of months or so about abn 04 R that my brother bought and weve been workin the bugs out on it one by one as you would any used quad (faulty tires, aftermarket sus., smoky motor, plastics, general main. ect.) now comes something that i would think be relatively simple,

you can start it and it starts just fine then itll sit and run for a few minutes or till it gets warmed up (whichever happens first, depending on temperature) then dies then sometimes after that it would either be a bi*ch to start or really easy, and sometimes stay running or dies like 5 seconds later?

any input? thanks

warr72
08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Could be a number of things. Bad plug, bad gas, dirty air filter, carb dirty, valves out of adj., trying to give you the easier stuff to check.

450raider
08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
we have been on quite a ferw rides on it and once you get going it does just fine and weve taken care of the gas, filter, and sparkplug, but havent been anywhere near the carb or valves (i hate messing with that stuff becasue its so easy to mess something up wayy worse then when you started) but well take a peek... thanks

CMALONE070
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Make sure your gas cap vent hose isn't stopped up sounds like the right symptoms.

ghott
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
When these symptoms ocurred with my bike...the exhaust valves had gotten tight.

Keep those valve clearances in spec :)

IrideMHSC
08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
If it splutters and dies when you frog the gas then i would say check the carb... i was racing not to long ago and managed to suck some junk in the carb and clog the pilot jet... or it also sounds like it could be something as simple as the vent on your gas tank beeing kinked... it will cause some of the same symptoms... lol and thats from personal experience

450raider
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
well i did notice that right before it cuts off (again just sitting idleing) you can hear a bit of a ticking start to pick up, a little background on this thing when we bought it, it came basically mx ready with dwt rims w/ holeshots, full flight suspension (crappiest setup ive ever seen, too many adjustments), and an lrd pipe, and when this began i was questioning whether or not its even jeted right for the pipe.... would off jetting cause this?

08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
If it's ticking it has to be the valves. Checking the clearances on valves would have been one of the first things I did when I bought it. A lot of people either don't know how to do it, don't know when to do it, or just don't want to do it.

IrideMHSC
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
yea with a ticking noise i would check the valves first thing... then might look at the carb.... but i have to agree the ticking noise could be tell tale of some valve noise

airmobile101
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
CHECK THE VALVE CLEARANCE!!!! It will tick if you have Hotcams thou. Also, I agree with IrideMHSC , check that pilot jet !!!!