PDA

View Full Version : Think she's gonna BLOW!!!

MtnEX
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Well like I was saying in a previous thread, I came back from vacation, went over to where my quads had been being babysit, changed my oil and filter to Mobil 1 20w50 V-twin and a Wix filter.

I heard a tap when I started it back up after the oil change. At first I thought the oil hadn't gotten to the top end yet. But then it persisted right on.

So then I figured it was the valve clearance. So I took it apart for adjustment and it needed nothing there. The tap is still there... I can get it to go away, and it seems to come and go on it's on some.

It's worst on a cold start... so for a bit there I thought it might be how piston slap sounds in the 400. But today I heard it go away while hot and then come back slightly.

Counting me, 3 people suspect the wrist pin is the noise.

Now, beyond that, today I held it at a steady RPM in neutral for just a bit. It started studdering a little and smoking. I can't tell by the color or smell if it's oil smoke though.... maybe because it's synthetic oil burning?...

I went to look for other evidence, but then I couldn't find my plug wrench to get the spark plug out. The best I could do is look in my exhaust tonight. It sure is black, but heavy sutty... not oily.

This sucks :(

250x_kyle
08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
only thing i could think of is a streched cam chain but unless it jumped time it shouldnt spudder.

MtnEX
08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
only thing i could think of is a streched cam chain but unless it jumped time it shouldnt spudder.

Yeah, it gave me slight hope that it may not be oil smoke, and instead jetting.

But I'm afraid my luck is probably not that good.