PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline VR1 20W-50

represent618
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Ran it in my TRX450ER, tranny and engine side. Drained out cleaner and the bike actaully ran quiter compared to the Honda Synthetic.

Just wanted to say I was happy with it, @ 3.00 a quart compared to the 8.00 plus prices for the honda it was a good trade-off for me. I change oil after every day of riding or racing on both sides, so it will save me a ton.

pro-rider46
08-15-2008, 01:12 PM
um, i wouldnt do that if i was you. if it is a car oil, its different than a quad oil, i cant remember what its called, but i know they are deffinatly different.

represent618
08-15-2008, 01:52 PM
did some research on it. it has the chemical and mineral additives that classify it into the motorcycle market. cant remember the exact specs...

look it up, you will find the data.

pro-rider46
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by represent618
did some research on it. it has the chemical and mineral additives that classify it into the motorcycle market. cant remember the exact specs...

look it up, you will find the data.

oh, so it is motorcycle oil then. As long as its for motorcycles it will be all good.

rooster300ex
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Its a good oil. I use the valvoline 4-stroke 10-40 in my 300ex. Works fine.

eastside 400
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
stop running it in your trans, this is straight from valvolines website, u really gotta do research before you start using new oils in the trans side....

Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is a family of race-proven lubricants formulated to provide high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API “SM” is recommended(see proper viscosity grade below).
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil).

jkirk141
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
i just put royal purplr 75w-90 n my tranny and noticed it shifted sooo much smoother right away

warr72
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Finally people are gonna listen to what I have been saying all along. Car oil and four stroke oils are not the same. But keeps my bank account happy with more rebuilds. :rolleyes:

rooster300ex
08-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
stop running it in your trans, this is straight from valvolines website, u really gotta do research before you start using new oils in the trans side....

Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is a family of race-proven lubricants formulated to provide high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API “SM” is recommended(see proper viscosity grade below).
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil).

I agree.

represent618
08-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Good call, I looked up engine side, but did not research tranny.

I found many instances where riders had problems with the oil in a wet clutch. Looks like the extra ZINC causes clutch issues, more grab, not enough slip for shifting, neutral, etc.

That is why I love this web site! Thanks guys, you may have saved me a clutch! I am draining that crap out tonight and replacing it with some Maxima.