PDA

View Full Version : who makes the best piston?

grassman
08-15-2008, 09:16 AM
i want to do a bore job on my 400 and was wondering what piston is good. i was wondering because looking at prices je pistons cost alot more than wiseco kits. is one better than the other??? let me know if you have used either one and what the results were. thanks

08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Not sure if 1 is really better than another. I know wiseco are better than stock they weigh a little less, are stronger and have oil passages through the piston in a few spots which OEM doesnt, I assume for cooling. JE must be good if NASCAR is down with them, thats deffinately race proven being in those cars.

400ex28
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I've been running JE pistons with no problems

grassman
08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
but do you think je pistons are worth the extra $? usually with parts you get what you pay for....

underpowered
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
not sure where you are getting your parts, but i work at a shop. JE pistons are cheaper than wiseco by a few bucks in all the parts catalogs i have.

88mm 426 piston
JE $144.10
Wiseco $165.95

BTW i have always ran wiseco pistons with no issues but just ordered me a JE piston today to replace my mangled wiseco.

grassman
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
i was looking on e-bay and some other web sites... i guess i had i wrong... which one do you think is better?

underpowered
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
i say JE is a bit better. both are great pistons, but the JE is the better choice IMO.

grassman
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
ive been told wiseco for 2 stroke and je for 4 sroke.... i dont know.. im leaning towards je.. thanks for the info.. it helps

fastredrider44
08-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Had a Wiseco in my CR250, Wiseco in my 426ex, and Wiseco in my 450R. I'm not Anti-JE, never tried them, but I've never had any problems.

underpowered
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Had a Wiseco in my CR250, Wiseco in my 426ex, and Wiseco in my 450R. I'm not Anti-JE, never tried them, but I've never had any problems.

i've always ran wiseco as well. just givin JE a shot. the only issues i have ever had with wiseco is in 2 strokes. vito's is the only one for two stroke pistons IMO

ohsobad_chevy
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
CP pistons are very durable, check em out.

underpowered
08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
CP pistons are very durable, check em out.

never, ever had good luck with CP. built two motors with them, nether lasted at all. buddy used one of their stroker pistons and it lasted about 3 hours in the quad. went with a custom JE piston, been in it for 3 years going strong.

MtnEX
08-15-2008, 10:04 PM
A lot of talk gets thrown around about pistons.
Makes you not know what to think sometimes.

I even know of some hop-up companies for other ATV's that include Wiseco pistons ONLY in their "kits" and don't even want to hear tale of you using something else.

08-15-2008, 10:08 PM
when i rebuild to a 406cc when my quad needs it I would like to go JE but they make too much compression and I rather not run race gas. idk I might be on the edge with the 10.5 or 10.6:1 whichever it is and the timing key and i rather not risk it. So I am going 10:1 wiseco

MtnEX
08-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
when i rebuild to a 406cc when my quad needs it I would like to go JE but they make too much compression and I rather not run race gas. idk I might be on the edge with the 10.5 or 10.6:1 whichever it is and the timing key and i rather not risk it. So I am going 10:1 wiseco

Yeah I was trying to read about the timing key on Spark's website to see what it was really all about. But then I saw where it said only to use it with the stock piston... which I'm afraid I'm not going to have long... so I kind of file thirteened the whole thing.

I don't understand.... I guess the advance my cause contact if clearances are any tighter?

08-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Yeah I was trying to read about the timing key on Spark's website to see what it was really all about. But then I saw where it said only to use it with the stock piston... which I'm afraid I'm not going to have long... so I kind of file thirteened the whole thing.

I don't understand.... I guess the advance my cause contact if clearances are any tighter?

no the stock piston thing is misinterpretted. It says it works well with the stock piston because compression is so low. Sparks says its fine for pistons up to 12.5:1 compression and thats what they mean by high compression. advancing the timing is in a sense like higher compression because the spark ignites sooner making the explosion occur just past TDC rather than stock position were the explosion occurs as the piston is already on its way down so you lose that force because the explosion is less compact. People have run them with 11:1 and 10.8:1 pistons but they had to run race fuel because it would start knocking. I dont know how high of compression with the key you can go but as far as I have heard 10.8:1 race fuel was needed. All the advance timing does is change when the spark ignites same thing most rev boxes do but its much more major as most rev boxes are a 1-2 degree advance, the adjustable i have seen up to 4 degrees, and the key is 6 degrees. Deffinately noticeable and i would say best bang for your buck performance wise. I doubted it for a while saying idk if i want to mess with it how much could it do until i put it in. My quad starts easier, idles better, and has the power to wheelie in my yard just from a rolling start in 2nd sitting on the gas tank just hitting the throttle but i also have other mods that contributed to that power. It revs quicker and deffinately has more snap, my 2nd gear is like and explosion I peg the gas and it takes off in an instant and i have to shift to 3rd quick or else i'll be banging that rev limiter lol more confidance with it too for hitting jumps because you have that extra power to blip the throttle before a jump and it goes rather than bogs