PDA

View Full Version : first flat track race have questions

Honda5
08-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I have never been on a flat track and am ready to give it a try. I have a 450r with plenty of power so I'm not worried about that. but I have a used set of american racer tires and need to know:
#1. a starting point with air pressure?
#2 what gearing
#3. I have fox floats how far should I drop them down (I can't drop the rear I have a dual link that has about 3" sag in it with a zero preload).
#4 do the quads uaslly run hotter then on a mx track? It seems like they are in the upper rpms alot more then on the mx track. I am running 15:1 compression and it gets a little warm sometimes at the bigger tracks like Budds Creek and I don't want to trash my race bike.
Thanks for any help.

patrickj75
08-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Air pressure depends on track conditions. If its tacky go with about 10-12 up front and 8-10 in the rear. If it's loose start with 6-8 up front and around 6 in the rear.

for gearing if it's a smaller track go with 14/39.

drop the rear as much as you can. your ride height should 1/4-1/2" lower in the rear than the front when you'r sitting on the quad in a normal riding position.

if the track is big and your running wide open all the time it will get a little hot. most flattrack races aren't that long though. if you run good race gas and have good coolant and a working fan you should be alright.

Patrick

jrspawn
08-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
I have never been on a flat track and am ready to give it a try. I have a 450r with plenty of power so I'm not worried about that. but I have a used set of american racer tires and need to know:
#1. a starting point with air pressure?
#2 what gearing
#3. I have fox floats how far should I drop them down (I can't drop the rear I have a dual link that has about 3" sag in it with a zero preload).
#4 do the quads uaslly run hotter then on a mx track? It seems like they are in the upper rpms alot more then on the mx track. I am running 15:1 compression and it gets a little warm sometimes at the bigger tracks like Budds Creek and I don't want to trash my race bike.
Thanks for any help.

Dave, you should keep that 450r for mx and just buy my walsh tt quad:D Running the flat track is actually pretty fun also, you can get some pretty good speed at seaford. I think this past race got canceled? hopefully they will run the rest of them. Let me know if you need help with any of the setup, ive got all the jigs, tools, and other odds and ends for the tt/flat track setups.

Thank you
Justin