PDA

View Full Version : bent valves

randallp1
08-15-2008, 01:07 AM
hey guys i put my cam in with the lobes in the wrong direction and it bent the intake valves. its already ported so should i just get the oem or kibble valves or go with the oversized all around? my mechanic told me his guy will cut and install but he will charge me to port as needed. he charges 225 for a port job do you think it will be just as much as a port job or is it just trimming.

underpowered
08-15-2008, 07:51 AM
there should be no porting difference for oversize valve, you just have to cut the valve seats out larger to accomidate the larger valve diameter. no porting is needed.

IMO larger valves are not worth it. i say go with kibble white stock size valves.

the oversize valves are only 1mm bigger in size, and unless you have tons of other mods you will not notice much of a difference. plus you are looking at a bit of an extra cost to cut the seats out. if the seats are not cut correctly, the valves will not seal. there are very few people i would trust to cut my valve seats.

randallp1
08-15-2008, 09:13 AM
i have a 426 ported head lightened fly wheel st 3 cam,

underpowered
08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
eh, i only run stock valves in my setup which is similar to yours.

Personally i don't think it would be worth the hassle of putting them in.

randallp1
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
yea but they cost just about the same. so your saying it wont really hurt or help me? i have a 39mm fcr that i havent installed yet and my mechanic is goin to get the jetting close for me and hes putting in the valves. i guess i will never know whats performing and what isnt. i have the bike set up for drag racing. nothing special just to participate. but if i can beat a few more bikes after the tip to the mechanic, really i will be satisfied. i see your running no base gasket explain.... pros/cons

underpowered
08-15-2008, 12:38 PM
no base gasket. teh base of the cylinder does not hold any compression, just keeps oil from splashing out basically. if you remove the base gasket, and use silicon to seal it, you can gain a little compression, essensially you are lowering the deck height of the cylinder. if is an easy thing to do, does not cost anything and will give you a slight boost.

randallp1
08-15-2008, 04:01 PM
sooooo r u running wiseco or je i have a wiseco 11:1 and im interested in what ur doing. so get some of the rtv black gasket maker or just silicone. also you cannot blow this up huh? like its not like blowing a head gasket? do you have to shave the piston? will i have to run race fuel?