PDA

View Full Version : Grab Bar Fabrication

golfer2000
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I was looking to make my own grab bar and was wondering is it in my best interest to make it out of thin wall chromoly since I would rather see the bar brake before the subframe. Anyone here have any experience with making their own grab bar while taking this into account? I wanted to make something that allows me to carry a little tool/stuff box around without having the bar look too bulky like many of the other 6 pack racks out there. Do you think .065 would be a good wall thickness to give enough strength yet prevent subframe damage if I were to loop it?

John451
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, i always make my own... i just get 1" square tubing at home depot and cut 2 90 degree angles through 3 walls and leave the last one then bend it then weld it.. Comes out perfect every time, bolts rigt up whhhere the old ones were. If you have one that doesnt have a removable one like a 400ex or whhere thhe bar is the subframe you make the same thing then get 4 U-bolts and clamp it to the subframe. I think my tube walls are 1/8 or 1/16"

John451
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Another way that i do if the existing bar is worn through cut a piece the legnth of the one on it and drill 2 holels through the bar and one side of the tube and put a nut on the inside of the tube and put boltls throug the bar into thhe tube and screw it in., and if u want an extended one get like 6" bolts and put thhem through, put nuts up to the bar, put nuts on the end of the bolt then the tube on the bolts thhen the nuts on the bolt.