PDA

View Full Version : Race Preparing a 450 Quad (Help?)

AJSLATER11
08-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Race Preparing a 450 Quad
I have purchased a 2007 YFZ450 quad which has previously has very little use as a road legal quad in the UK. I wish to race prepare it and start using it off road on local tracks etc. I have previously ridden motocross and am looking to get into quad mx. In the UK I am finding it dificult to find other people who are into quad mx so I was counting on your help.
Having no experience I was hoping you guys could give me the initial knowledge I need. I need to prepare my 450 for off road use. Here are some questions I have and I hope you can help. Please bear in mind when answering these questions that I never want to put the quad on road again.

1)Thumb throttle or twist throttle for race use?
2)Remove parking brake and clutch assembly and replace with ASV clutch lever?
3) Remove lights and etc, what should I do wish the wires, cut them out or tape them up?
4)Should I have a kick start installed and get rid of the electric start?

Many Thanks
Andrew Slater

gcart2
08-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by AJSLATER11
Race Preparing a 450 Quad
I have purchased a 2007 YFZ450 quad which has previously has very little use as a road legal quad in the UK. I wish to race prepare it and start using it off road on local tracks etc. I have previously ridden motocross and am looking to get into quad mx. In the UK I am finding it dificult to find other people who are into quad mx so I was counting on your help.
Having no experience I was hoping you guys could give me the initial knowledge I need. I need to prepare my 450 for off road use. Here are some questions I have and I hope you can help. Please bear in mind when answering these questions that I never want to put the quad on road again.

1)Thumb throttle or twist throttle for race use?
2)Remove parking brake and clutch assembly and replace with ASV clutch lever?
3) Remove lights and etc, what should I do wish the wires, cut them out or tape them up?
4)Should I have a kick start installed and get rid of the electric start?

Many Thanks
Andrew Slater

1. its up to you. i have seen both. if you have been on bikes your whole life i would suggest twist. you can do either.

2. again up to you. you dont have to but i would suggest it.

3. i would say keep the wires just tape em up.

4. this is up to you. i have a trx 450 kick and would never buy another electric start. however the electric is nice to have.

AJSLATER11
08-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for your quick response. If I wanted to start racing with a club once i got some experience would I need to have a kickstart, Isn't having an electric start kinda cheating? Many Thanks

450Rchaser
08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Electric start is not cheating. Most kick starts get off the line faster than i do.

gcart2
08-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 450Rchaser
Electric start is by any means cheating. Most kick starts get off the line faster than i do.

by no means is it cheating.

some people prefer kicks in order to get rid of the battery.

its all up to you:)

Gray33
08-14-2008, 08:07 AM
trust me electric is very very nice to have.

250x_kyle
08-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Gray33
trust me electric is very very nice to have.

comming from a guy who lied about having a quad.

its hard to realy help unless we know what aftermarkets you arleady have

I would recomend the kick start kit for the yfz(pull your starter, starter gears, lights. ) send ur harness out to be professionaly gutted . but if your goign to instal the kick start kit the cam mod is a must if you havent already done so. the cam mod is just retarding the exhaust cam one tooth giving it the yz450f timing. put a tether kill switch on . most tracks wont let ur race without one here in the us.

after that is all said and done remover your parking break and put a block off plate. just get an msr aof clutch perch and lever to get rid of the cable. forget levers for now you have more important things like full exhuast and long travle suspension, as well as an adjustable axle. wheels and tires.

must haves are
1. tether kill switch
2. mx tires
3. nerf bars.
that will get you started

07HRC450R
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
comming from a guy who lied about having a quad.
haha! that was a good one:devil:

trick250r
08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
everything you've talked about is a luxury. you need to worry about the necessities first. tether switch, nerf bars, number plates, no lights, ect... then worry about suspension (what good is a strong motor if your suspension cant keep up), next focus on the motor. after that is when id start adding luxuries like levers, kick starts, and twist throttles. but thats just how ive done it (it worked for me, should work for you) but its your bike and your life... im just makin suggestions. good luck

justin1022
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
keep electric start its faster and allaround nicer if u rool or somthing and it floods you wont be kicking forever you jsut push the button and out of there.