PDA

View Full Version : Race Preparing a 450 Quad

AJSLATER11
08-14-2008, 04:54 AM
I have purchased a 2007 YFZ450 quad which has previously has very little use as a road legal quad in the UK. I wish to race prepare it and start using it off road on local tracks etc. I have previously ridden motocross and am looking to get into quad mx. In the UK I am finding it dificult to find other people who are into quad mx so I was counting on your help.
Having no experience I was hoping you guys could give me the initial knowledge I need. I need to prepare my 450 for off road use. Here are some questions I have and I hope you can help. Please bear in mind when answering these questions that I never want to put the quad on road again.

1)Thumb throttle or twist throttle for race use?
2)Remove parking brake and clutch assembly and replace with ASV clutch lever?
3) Remove lights and etc, what should I do wish the wires, cut them out or tape them up?
4)Should I have a kick start installed and get rid of the electric start?

Many Thanks
Andrew Slater

daddio
08-14-2008, 07:25 AM
1)Thumb throttle or twist throttle for race use? Personal preference, but most people find the quad easier to handle with a thumb. Experement with the position of the handlebars and throttle. Usually twist the throttle assy up a little from "stock"

2)Remove parking brake (Yes) and clutch assembly and replace with ASV clutch lever? Again....... personal prefrence. The stock one works just fine. Crashing on a quad doesn't usually break levers like crashing on a bike does.

3) Remove lights and etc, what should I do wish the wires, cut them out or tape them up? Just unplug them and cover the connectors with tape.

4)Should I have a kick start installed and get rid of the electric start? Leave the electric starter on, until you build your motor so high of compression that the starter won't turn it over. I have seen so many races lost, because they killed their motor and couldn't get it started with a kick start right away. And many times I have seen people kill their bike and had it started again with an electric starter before they rolled to a stop.

You should also get a set of nerf bars and a teather kill switch. On a YFZ get a Pingle or "Normally closed" kill switch. They hook up to the factory kill circut, and work the way Yamaha intended. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Now you can race and have fun.

Then you can add A-arms, Shocks, MX tires, exhaust, wider axle, etc. etc. as your wallet can afford, and not necessarily in that order.

Crazy lil punk
08-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by daddio
1)Thumb throttle or twist throttle for race use? Personal preference, but most people find the quad easier to handle with a thumb. Experement with the position of the handlebars and throttle. Usually twist the throttle assy up a little from "stock"

2)Remove parking brake (Yes) and clutch assembly and replace with ASV clutch lever? Again....... personal prefrence. The stock one works just fine. Crashing on a quad doesn't usually break levers like crashing on a bike does.

3) Remove lights and etc, what should I do wish the wires, cut them out or tape them up? Just unplug them and cover the connectors with tape.

4)Should I have a kick start installed and get rid of the electric start? Leave the electric starter on, until you build your motor so high of compression that the starter won't turn it over. I have seen so many races lost, because they killed their motor and couldn't get it started with a kick start right away. And many times I have seen people kill their bike and had it started again with an electric starter before they rolled to a stop.

You should also get a set of nerf bars and a teather kill switch. On a YFZ get a Pingle or "Normally closed" kill switch. They hook up to the factory kill circut, and work the way Yamaha intended. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Now you can race and have fun.

Then you can add A-arms, Shocks, MX tires, exhaust, wider axle, etc. etc. as your wallet can afford, and not necessarily in that order.

Well put. I would say the same.

csr250r
08-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Also 18" tires in the rear would be benifitial to mx, or you could add a larger rear sprocked to 20"s.