PDA

View Full Version : magnetic drain plug what do you guys think

hypersnyper6947
08-14-2008, 01:33 AM
So the obvious theory is this magnetic drain plug will help catch any small metal particles floating around in the oil, what do you guys think about this good or bad, its $20 by the way.

86 Quad R
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
i like em :cool:

NacsMXer
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
My crankcase drain bolt is a magnetic one I got off of ebay. It's a really strong rare earth magnet that collects a lot of crap like it should. I feel like it's only helping the motor to run one.

brian76708
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
screw that the sooner your motor blows the sooner you got a excuse to build it haha jk

if anything it caint hurt to get one

08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
what about making your own? If you left a drain bolt on some strong magnets for some time wouldnt they become magnetic? I know it has worked for me with screw drivers and other bolts I left on this magnetic bolt dish so you dont lose bolts and everything on it was magnetic. I dont know how long it takes for it to happen but it works. It cant hurt anything it can only help. Most metal thats in your oil will be caught in that screen catcher to the left of the clutch if your looking at it. You have to remove the right case to get at it. I was happy when I saw only little pieces on it, my brothers had like chunks lol that cant be good

rcatvrider
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
If you align all of the atoms in one direction it will become magnetic. In other words, stroking a strong magnet against the bolt in one direction several times will make it magnetic. I believe it is only temporary though.

Hondamaster5505
08-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I think either dirtwheels or QUAD tested this.

They had the drain bolt and a couple other magnetic pieces.

They put it on a yfz before they broke it in, and it collected all the metal shavings from break-in. The oil was spotless. They also ran it during a race and it still picked up everything.

They really liked it.

Xsapper
08-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
So the obvious theory is this magnetic drain plug will help catch any small metal particles floating around in the oil, what do you guys think about this good or bad, its $20 by the way.

It may not actually hurt anything but it may provide a false sense of security by making someone think that all is well now all the metal particles are stuck to the magnet ...the sad truth of the matter is if your motor is shedding metal filings - it's dying!

NacsMXer
08-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Xsapper
It may not actually hurt anything but it may provide a false sense of security by making someone think that all is well now all the metal particles are stuck to the magnet ...the sad truth of the matter is if your motor is shedding metal filings - it's dying!

Yeah, but engine wear is absolutely unavoidable. You can reduce friction, but you cannot eliminate it altogether. I get a small build-up of metallic "gunk" on my drain plug at each oil change...but that doesn't mean my motor is dying. It means my motor is incurring normal wear as all motors do and that the magnet is doing its intended job. If you're getting huge chunks of metal stuck to it, then you have something to worry about :p

08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
i cant find any metal at all in my oil when i do oil changes. I have even taken a super strong magnetic bowl and ran it through because i always end up droping the washer or bowl into hot oil so I run the magnet through and it just clings to it, i have not found any metal shaving in my oil draining out just the very small pieces like i mentioned before in the catch tray on the right side of the motor which the pieces were so small it was probally just from the break in.

NacsMXer
08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i cant find any metal at all in my oil when i do oil changes. I have even taken a super strong magnetic bowl and ran it through because i always end up droping the washer or bowl into hot oil so I run the magnet through and it just clings to it, i have not found any metal shaving in my oil draining out just the very small pieces like i mentioned before in the catch tray on the right side of the motor which the pieces were so small it was probally just from the break in.

It would be very difficult to catch metal particles doing it that way as they are extremely fine. It's more like nano-sized metal particles than "shavings". If you had one of these magnetic drain bolts installed, you would find a small build-up on it at each change just the same. The magnet is so strong that it constantly accumulates tiny metal particles while the motor is running...that is why it looks so dirty when you pull it out to clean it off. All that junk is "focused" on a very small magnetic area. When you clean off the drain bolt to reinstall it, it's even hard to tell that it is metal stuck to it...it just looks like oily "sludge". But in reality it's extremely fine ferrous material from normal engine wear ;)

Now if you wanna see some metal shavings...drop the trans pan in your car/truck and look at the factory magnet at the bottom. The one in my F-150 looked like it had a mound of fur growing on it as it had never been opened up before.

The magnets aren't absolutely necessary as you have oil filters/screens etc. but they do help by preventing small metal particles from circulating in the oil. Every little bit helps!

08-14-2008, 07:51 PM
aa gotcha. I'll probally pick one up eventually. I wonder if they make like magnetic drail bolts for the crankcase drain and the oil filter cover

NacsMXer
08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
aa gotcha. I'll probally pick one up eventually. I wonder if they make like magnetic drail bolts for the crankcase drain and the oil filter cover

Yeah I was very impressed by the one I go t off of ebay. The magnet is very tiny, but I bet you could lift 10 pounds with it easy!

The one I have is actually for the crankcase drain on the side of the motor. I'm sure they have them for the oil tank drain bolt as well.

hypersnyper6947
08-15-2008, 03:08 AM
just bought mine on ebay $12 shipped

jasonex
08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP01.html
$9.99 on that web site