PDA

View Full Version : RIP Justin Daniel Rye

ALAMX37
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
PRATTVILLE -- A man accused of fatally shooting a former Prattville football player in the chest now faces lesser charges in the crime and his older brother is being fingered by authorities as the shooter.

John Calvin Jones, 19, of Millbrook was charged Sunday with murder in the shooting death of Justin Rye, 21. The men were drinking at a party Saturday with about 150 others when an argument started over music.

Tuesday, prosecutors dropped the murder charge against John Calvin Jones and filed the same charge against Joshua Duane Jones, 21, also of Millbrook.

John Calvin Jones now faces felony hindering prosecution and reckless endangerment charges, District Attorney Randall Houston said.

Both brothers are in the Autauga Metro Jail. Bond is set at $300,000 for Joshua Jones and $11,000 for John Jones.

The Jones brothers could not be reached for comment. Courthouse records do not show if they have lawyers.

Despite the arrest of John Jones, Autauga County sheriff's deputies continued to investigate the shooting, Sheriff Herbie Johnson said.

Both brothers fired the handgun believed to be the murder weapon, Johnson said.

"We have been working this case hard since Saturday night," Johnson said. "New evidence shows Joshua Duane Jones is the one who fired the fatal shot."

Johnson would not disclose the evidence, but Houston expressed confidence the sheriff's office had the right shooter. The district attorney also refused to comment on specifics about the new development.

"John Calvin Jones is charged with felony hindering prosecution, that should be a red flag," Houston said. "You aren't charged with that unless you give misleading information to investigators. In the early stages of the case, the sheriff's investigators were given misleading information about key elements in the case."

The shooting occurred about 11 p.m. in a wooded area just off Autauga County 69. Rye had been in a fistfight before the shooting, Johnson said.

Several fistfights occurred before the shooting, Houston said.

A 17 year old also has been charged with reckless endangerment in an incident unrelated to the Rye shooting, he said.

Johnson wouldn't release the teen's name, citing his age.

"Earlier there was a fight, and this 17 year old fired several shots in the air in an attempt to break up the fight," Houston said. "Shooting bullets in the air is very dangerous because they will come down somewhere. Even if you are in a sparsely populated rural area, shooting a gun in the air is dangerous."

He was a dear friend of mine, a loving son, and an amazing father. Godspeed, you will never be forgotten. I am so thankful for the people in my life, this just makes you realize how lucky we are to live each day. I request you all keep his family in your prayers.

ZeroLogic
08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm real sorry to hear that. What state did this take place in. Rest In Peace.

ALAMX37
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Prattville, Alabama