PDA

View Full Version : Hetrick pipe installed, what clutch changes?

dwhst9
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I took our Scrambler 90 for a ride after installing the Hetrick pipe and it feels like it has 1/2 the power it did with the stock pipe. It would pull the wheels from a dead stop with the stock pipe, now it's a dog. I guess my hopes for this working with a stock clutch were wrong. What do I need to change in the clutch? What is the approx stock stall rpm? This is primarily trail ridden.

hetrick425ex
08-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Did you purchase the exhaust directly from Hetrick Racing or buy it used?

The reason i ask is that we do not make a habit of selling exhausts without the proper clutch components.

dwhst9
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hetrick425ex
Did you purchase the exhaust directly from Hetrick Racing or buy it used?

The reason i ask is that we do not make a habit of selling exhausts without the proper clutch components.

I bought it off a fellow member here. Pipe is in great shape, I was just hoping to have stock engagement. What do I need to change? Bone stock motor, airbox and gearing.

Nichols Atvs
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Hard part is there really is no good middle for these machines its either to high for some people or to low this seams to be the best way i think to go if not racing. 4.5-4.8 roller weight 1500 torsion spring , you can try a 1000 but i think its to soft for a 90 and 1500 clutch springs should do the trick for you . The pipe likes a little higher rpms. Put a new belt on as well . I forget what you have for a carb but think about a keihin 24 with unifilter and outerware for more air just be carefull in the water when trail riding. Good luck she looks good.

dwhst9
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
HArdb part is there really is no good middle for these machines its either to high for some people or to low this seams to be the best way i think to go if not racing. 4.5-4.8 roller weight 1500 torsion spring , you can try a 1000 but i think its to soft for a 90 and 1500 clutch springs should do the trick for you . The pipe likes a little higher rpms. Put a new belt on as well .she looks. I forget what you have for a carb but think about a keihin 24 with unifilter and outerware for more air just be carefull in the water when trail riding. Good luck she looks good.

Thanks for the advice. We have so much mud, dirt, dust and water here in PA, I want to retain the stock airbox. I've got a Uni filter in there now. The carb is stock as well as the jetting.

03sp500
Dave pm'd ya

hetrick425ex
You can contact us and pick up a 'Clutch Recalibration kit'. You can pick them up on eBay too.

this should fix any issues you are having.

Thanks

dwhst9
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all of your quick responses. I'll take a look at the Hetrick clutch kit. In the mean time, I need to swap the stock pipe back on because we are riding at Tri County this weekend and I won't have the clutch setup by then.

Nichols Atvs
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Youll nee dto do some plug checks get some new ones. run it to warm up the engine then then a couple of full throttle runs about 200 feet and the last run full throttle pull the kill teather and pull out the plug . whit the plug is to lean need a bigger jet , black to rich you need to go down jet and tan to brown would be perfect do nothing if its a stock carb it will be a bit harder its a little small good luck

THARNESS
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Have you changed to a high-rev cdi box. The stock cdi may not let it rev high enough to get into the powerband with the new pipe.

hetrick425ex
08-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by THARNESS
Have you changed to a high-rev cdi box. The stock cdi may not let it rev high enough to get into the powerband with the new pipe.

Another honorable mention.

etondaddy
08-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I'll give you the try it before you buy it deal.......

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0447.jpg

dwhst9
08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy

How much is the Buy It part of the deal lol?

hetrick425ex
08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by etondaddy

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0447.jpg

You will be "ready to rock and roll".