PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket CDI....really worth it?

TRX_450
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
i just finished up my build with a JE 440 kit, hotcams stage 2, and +2 a-arms and axle to match, and im just trying to add a few little more things to gain every last bit of performance i can. i've heard good and bad about CDI's but never really looked into it. are they really worth the money to buy one? what kind of gains will i see? and finally what are some good ones to look into and what are the pros/cons to them. thanks!

08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
with a 440 you might like the extra RPM's I know my friends 440 stroker pulled right through the extra 1000rpm and made riding it easier and faster because it pulled that much more. As far as gains on them, most will say advanced timing curve which is about 1 degree lol I have seen dyno charts of rev boxes that said advanced timing curve and they showed about a .25 HP gain at the bottom and then it was the same curve as stock the rest of the way. Some may be better than others, if you wanted the best I think it was Dynatek that had the fully programable rev limiter, timing curve, nitrous setup, and there might have been a thing to limit the revs on a launch so you dont spin. But they cost a lot!

mooseracerX
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I know on the speed calculator if you increase the revs from 8250 to 9250 it says you gain a lot of speed.

justin1022
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
i got a cdi stage 2 and i didnt even notice it i can be switching inbetween my stock and my aftermarket cdi and not notice anything but i guess its cuz i dont hold it wide open.

400ex28
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a magnum rev box and have had zero problems with it but i couldnt tell ya if i noticed a gain. then again i put it on when I did all my motor mods.

exrider272
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
ive had my dynatek on my old stock 400 and noticed a big difference and then switched it over to my 426 i dont notice it as much but i no its there when i really hammer down on it cuz the revs are higher.

Balaz_73*00
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Id say definately get one...i have a fully built high compression 440 and the stock cdi was holding me back big BIG time...my guys at wolfpac racing hooked me up with a custom curved cdi from Duncan racing and let me tell you,....night and day difference. I couldnt believe how much of a difference it made

hypersnyper6947
08-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Id say definately get one...i have a fully built high compression 440 and the stock cdi was holding me back big BIG time...my guys at wolfpac racing hooked me up with a custom curved cdi from Duncan racing and let me tell you,....night and day difference. I couldnt believe how much of a difference it made

How much was that i how can i get one

Balaz_73*00
08-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I actually didn't pay anything for it...they had it laying around the shop and are letting me use it as long as i need too. Like i said it was custom curved so i dont know the specifics of it, but id contact duncan racing and see what they can do for you.