PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about pick-up truck alternators?

2fastandfurious
12-06-2002, 04:13 PM
I have a 1987 ford pick up. Any tips on taking out and installing a new alternator?
Thanks
-Ben:square

AtvMxRider
12-06-2002, 04:16 PM
disconnect the battery.

12-06-2002, 05:44 PM
sell the pos and buy a chevy lol i have no idea the only way to do that kind of stuff is to just dig in and just hope for the best lol
killer

L.Vegas400
12-06-2002, 09:11 PM
usually there is one mount bolt and one bolt and nut that go into a sloted bracket. if this is the case, take out the bolt in the sloted bracket, take the belt off the pulley, then take out the mount bolt. oh take off the wires first.

TheX1992
12-06-2002, 09:35 PM
make sure you get the belt lined up! i would never attempt doign it myself because mis-aligning the belts would be something i would do

honda350r
12-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Just un-plug the two plugs ,if you just pull hard they will come right out ... Then un-bolt it and replace ...

Make sure you charge the battery FULL !!!!! If you don't you may ruin the new alt....

Try and find a local rebuilder,they will serve you better than a large chain auto store....

Should be about 80 to 100 bucks no more !!!

Good luck

Jim

2fastandfurious
12-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks a TON guys. I'm going to get up tommorow and take the old one out and go get it tested. Depending on what happens with that i am then going to either work on finding the other problem or putting the new one in. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again!
-Ben

L.Vegas400
12-07-2002, 11:46 AM
some auto parts stores have a tester that can test your batter/altinator stuff while your vehicle is in their parking lot. all the autozones and checkers have them here.

motochris
12-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Quick and easy way to test it yourself is loosen up the positive cable on the battery, but leave it on the battery... Go start your truck and let it idle... Then get out and pull the positive cable off the battery... If the truck stays running then in most cases the Alt. is fine and charging.... If your truck dies then the Alt. is bad... Just an easy quick way to check it out... Good luck..........:D

2fastandfurious
12-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Found out that my short was becasue of the alternator. I went to Auto zone and tested it. It was showing nothing! Then i went to a salvage yard and picked up an alternator for 35 with the exchange. I then went over with that one and tested it. (The salvage yard got it out of a f-150 that was totaled) It was showing good strong amps. Installed that. Runs GREAT! Thatnks for all the help! I did all this in about 2 hours. I coulndt belive how easy it was to install these!
-Ben