PDA

View Full Version : 440ex vs

odog
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
anyone with a big bore kit every beat a 660 raptor in 1/8 1/4 or any distance with a good rider on both machines with out nos or turbo

08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
440big bore are nice but 440 strokers rip! I have ridden both several times and the 440 stroker would walk on the 440 big bores all day.

bjg696
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes i raced a 660 rapter and walked him like it was nothing. I will beat a 440 stroker in and 1/8th mile, havent ever raced one any longer than that........:D

justin1022
08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bjg696
Yes i raced a 660 rapter and walked him like it was nothing. I will beat a 440 stroker in and 1/8th mile, havent ever raced one any longer than that........:D

THANK YOU i can beat 660 rapters to well there is only 1 that i raced but some guys on here didnt belive me i got a 440ex. it aint a stroker. also my freind got a yfz and i beat him all around. and on track i can take pretty much everything but there excuse is its cuz its my track but i say there just scard!

bjg696
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Yea alot of people on here can say that a 440 cant out run alot of things. but i have proof the only thing i havent beat is a predator 500 and im close with him.

justin1022
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Yea alot of people on here can say that a 440 cant out run alot of things. but i have proof the only thing i havent beat is a predator 500 and im close with him.

yea i havent ever rode with a predator. out hear its all about mx so all you see is 450s and most engines are stock and my 400 can hang a lickin on almost all them exept 1 450r and one ltr

bjg696
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Yea, the 450s is a great quad to have. A friend of mine just got an 07 450r and its awsome. I hang with him with ease. But i like my 440 and it dont matter to me if its the fastest thing, i just wanted a lil more power than the 400 had stock..

drew416ex
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

I have a 440 stroker, and smoke a predator 500 thats piped with a cam. So I guess that means I can beat you too.

Hondamaster5505
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Let's get something straight. 660's and predator's are pathetic. So it's not really something to be proud of when you beat them.

The 660, is a major torque monster. But, compared to the newer 700, and other 450's and such, they are far behind on power. They are fun, but not greased lightning or anything.

The predator, all I can say is it's a turd. When my dad got one for repair, i was getting all excited saying "awesome, I heard these things have so much power."

Well, I take it out in the parking lot and hold it wide open, and how disapointed I was..:ermm: It felt maybe a hair faster than my piped ex, and it had a little more torque. But it wasn't impressive by far. Oh yeah, it also had a full HMF exhaust.

So, by those standards, it doesnt' take much for the 400ex to keep up and beat them with some mild mods.

But when you get into 450 territory, yeah, a 440 stroker will keep up with a piped 450. But once you go past that on the 450, it's all over. The 400ex would need NOS just to not loose by too much.

Moral of the story, if youre buying a 400ex for flat out power, don't bother. You can even ask repoman.

08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
400ex meant for trails, 450r meant for track. You can build one another for something else but the 450r is meant to be on a track and the 400ex is meant to be in the trails.

Hondamaster5505
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
400ex meant for trails, 450r meant for track. You can build one another for something else but the 450r is meant to be on a track and the 400ex is meant to be in the trails.

Exactly why it sucks at coalmines:D

Idk though. I rode my dads friends 07 yfz and I thought it was decent in the trails for a 450. Had monster mid-range.

08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
If I rode dunes or coal mines I would either have big bore sport quad or a crazy 450. I wish I lived and rode at the dunes so I could build a turbo 450r or something

REDRIDDER
08-13-2008, 02:48 PM
If I rode dunes or coal mines I would either have big bore sport quad or a crazy 450. I wish I lived and rode at the dunes so I could build a turbo 450r or something you live in FL theirs got to be some dunes around you somewhere. lol

drew416ex
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Let's get something straight. 660's and predator's are pathetic. So it's not really something to be proud of when you beat them.

exactly, its not hard to beat either one, I just couldnt figure out how you can beat a 440 stroker and not a predator. I dont totally agree with the statement that after a 450 is piped there is no chance. There is a guy at the track with a 465 or something like that that I can beat. As long as the track isnt big enough for the 450 to get into the higher gears, its gonna be close dependig on skill and motor/suspension.

Hondamaster5505
08-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
exactly, its not hard to beat either one, I just couldnt figure out how you can beat a 440 stroker and not a predator. I dont totally agree with the statement that after a 450 is piped there is no chance. There is a guy at the track with a 465 or something like that that I can beat. As long as the track isnt big enough for the 450 to get into the higher gears, its gonna be close dependig on skill and motor/suspension.

Well, I was talking more along the lines of power. On the track, the power helps, but it's all rider skill and the size of your balls:p

I didnt say it when its pipe, after that like porting and stuff it gets to be pretty far apart power wise

red_rider_069
08-13-2008, 11:21 PM
i raced my 400 ex on drags against a yfz 450 anda yamaha banshee
the yfz 450 stock and the banshee with T5 toomys
and k & n
i got hole shot and at about 150 yards
they boths passed me
if you wanna race is got to be by class so what mainly matters is skill and not what your riding
i learned that the hard way:ermm:
any who
a 440 rips but its jsut not enough for some people and its perfect for others :D
end of story :D:eek:

justin1022
08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
i love my 440 but would be happyer with a 450 even though i can beat stock ones... i owuld of had a new one to if my dad didnt get that stinkin back hoe:mad:

08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
so u have raced 450's?:rolleyes:

08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
stock YFZ vs my brothers 400ex (HMF slip on, K&N, lid removed, jetted) they ran pretty even the 400ex was in 5th revving and the YFZ pulled a little past then hit the next gear on it and it was over for the 400ex. Banshee's are quick but they also have 1 more gear and rev super high like adding a couple thousand RPM when you add pipes to them. My cousin spent $700 for pipes, a K&N and jets. Give me $700 for performance mods to my 400ex and I dont think the gap is that different. With so far in my 400ex performance wise I have $205 thats for the pipe, airfilter, jets, timing key. I have yet to race my cousins banshee with my timing key, throttle at 100% (yeah i've been riding my 400ex at 3/4 throttle the past year and a few months because it needed to be adjusted) and I rejetted because of the extra air flow. i think it will be a pretty even race up this dragstrip hill.

08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
but thats a yfz everyone knows that a yfz' is slow.:rolleyes:

krt400ex
08-14-2008, 01:04 PM

The predator, all I can say is it's a turd. When my dad got one for repair, i was getting all excited saying "awesome, I heard these things have so much power."

Well, I take it out in the parking lot and hold it wide open, and how disapointed I was..:ermm: It felt maybe a hair faster than my piped ex, and it had a little more torque. But it wasn't impressive by far. Oh yeah, it also had a full HMF exhaust.

So, by those standards, it doesnt' take much for the 400ex to keep up and beat them with some mild mods.

LMFAO!!!! hahhaaaa. that predator musta been in ****ty shape then cuz they hall ***...they will easily blow your 400ex

Hondamaster5505
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
LMFAO!!!! hahhaaaa. that predator musta been in ****ty shape then cuz they hall ***...they will easily blow your 400ex

No. It ran excellent, didn't smoke and the engine was strong.. but not what I expected for a 500cc machine.

They don't "haul"
Compared to the piped yfz I have access to ride, which is 50cc less, there is no competetion whatsoever. The yfz would flat out crush the predator hands down.

08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
but thats a yfz everyone knows that a yfz' is slow.:rolleyes:

my friends family had a LTR, TRX, and YFZ. When they would race the LTR would take off quick from the 18" tires then get passed. The TRX whooped everythings *** especially when his dad put the HRC kit on it, there was no hope for the others from the start lol.

Hondamaster5505
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
my friends family had a LTR, TRX, and YFZ. When they would race the LTR would take off quick from the 18" tires then get passed. The TRX whooped everythings *** especially when his dad put the HRC kit on it, there was no hope for the others from the start lol.

Ehh, from what ive experienced, the yfz was fastest with the ltr 2nd and 450r third. Thats how I rate their power. Yamahas always had great engines. But I never rode the new 08 ltr which is supposedly faster now.

And out of those 3, the yfz is the only one I feel gives the banshee a run for its money.

warr72
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
The ltr pulls off the line about a quarter bike length only because of smaller tires then my TRX eats it up. The yfz stays even for 50 feet then gets ate up. The banshee well if we running flat out for miles maybe it could catch me but in relatively short runs it gets smoked easily. All are modded to a degree and some more than others. BUT the gas gas kills us all. They will RUN and its barely modded. :ermm:

warr72
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
But for trail riding and putting around I really miss the 416.

michaelj
08-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I heard the yfz is incredible and I also heard the KTM 525 is a monster, anyone else ride these machines-what do you think, I got to ride a 700r and it was awesome tons of top end def. faster then my 465 stroker on the top end but bottom end I had more. My best friend has a 660 with bolt on mods and I beat him with a 465 stroker kit and a 450r carb., with the stock carb. we were pretty much even...

416exfreak
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
It all comes down to rider.

I could beat my dads 700 that had a pipe, filter, intake and TFI module.

Ive beat several 660's and been beaten by guys on stock 450's that could just ride better than me.

It all comes down to rider.

08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
It all depends on what your doing and how the other rider is. Like mentioned above rider has a lot to do with it. I have beaten quite a few 450r's on track style rider but i have also go my arse handed to me or I was working so hard to keep up my arms and hands locked up and I was so exhausted i had to pull off. I cant stand when i ride hard then try to get off my quad and my fingers are stuck gripped on and i have to peal my fingers one by one off the bars lol it was scary the one time my fingers curled in to my hand so hard it hurt and i couldnt pull them apart i had to have someone else do it lol back on topic I have beaten bigger better machines and i have lost to bigger and better machines. I 've never lost to anything smaller but a banshee then again i havent raced a 250r, i tried but the guy was lame and didnt want to race. Everytime I see this guy I wanna race him all he does on this nice 250r i put around for 10 minutes park it then later puts around again and when he see's me coming over to talk to him so i can race him he parks it lol

REPOMAN
08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Ehh, from what ive experienced, the yfz was fastest with the ltr 2nd and 450r third. Thats how I rate their power. Yamahas always had great engines. But I never rode the new 08 ltr which is supposedly faster now.

And out of those 3, the yfz is the only one I feel gives the banshee a run for its money.
i have a friends with yfz450's and ltr's beat them with my piped 450r all day long.
and the offer still goes for anyone saying they can beat a 450r with a stock 400ex. if you can come to new mexico and beat my 450r i will pay for your entire trip here, that will include gas, food, a place to stay, and all. i had a 440 and thought i was beating 450's and there is no way. i was simply beating the rider. it is what it is i loved my 440 but lets just be real.

08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
stock 400ex motor internal wise? cause i'll hook up a 200 shot of nos most likely blow the motor but hey i got another one and a free trip to new mexico lol

REPOMAN
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
good try. noone said they did it with nitrous they are staying stock. that means no mods.

08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
with an equal rider on the 450 its not possible unless something goes wrong on the 450 or they person falls.

REPOMAN
08-14-2008, 09:18 PM
with an equal rider on the 450 its not possible unless something goes wrong on the 450 or they person falls.
well worded. i totally agree.

odog
08-14-2008, 09:30 PM
thats versus the 440 or 460 or both

08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Just watching the times at the 1/8th mile drags made me want the 450 because its so simple to go so much faster. 9.5 in the 1/8th on a HRC450r. DVX/KFX 400 stock were running 10.6 or so. If you take them stock for stock the 450r has more power and better suspension. Mod them the same way and the 450 will still be ahead. I love the 400ex though so i'm keeping mine.

MtnEX
08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm going to have another one of the "sorry fellas" replies....

The bottom line is pretty simple and not hard to understand.
The 2-strokes and 450's rev higher and faster.
Since they rev faster, they go from idle to peak HP way way faster.

These old thumper 4 strokes just can't make that happen.
I don't care what the bore or stroke is on the EX engine.
It is what it is, and in comparision, it's a huge handicap to overcome.

Building the 450's the way they did, they were stabbing towards 2-stroke ability in a 4 stroke engine and they have came a lot closer than most ever expected.

I had my time on the YFZ450... and any time you pour on the throttle, EX crushing power is right there on tap.

It's not that you can't get enough displacement or HP out of the EX engines. You just can't make the power come on and build up quick enough. It's a loosing battle.

Myself, I'm hoping the 400EX will make me an all-around better trail machine once I finally get it dialed in. Low and slow it is already much better, which is nice. Now if I can get the rest ironed out.

burnthesnikle
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
oh boy where to start?

but i agree what MtnEX said...

i say go big!!

i never really raced much before but when i got this 500 motor...i can't stop

it's perfect for everything...trail/track/duner

but if you don't want to be working on ***** all the time buy a 400ex

do the mods maybe a 440(stroker or not)

but out of the box a yamaha 450 takes all

justin1022
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
I'm going to have another one of the "sorry fellas" replies....

The bottom line is pretty simple and not hard to understand.
The 2-strokes and 450's rev higher and faster.
Since they rev faster, they go from idle to peak HP way way faster.

These old thumper 4 strokes just can't make that happen.
I don't care what the bore or stroke is on the EX engine.
It is what it is, and in comparision, it's a huge handicap to overcome.

Building the 450's the way they did, they were stabbing towards 2-stroke ability in a 4 stroke engine and they have came a lot closer than most ever expected.

I had my time on the YFZ450... and any time you pour on the throttle, EX crushing power is right there on tap.

It's not that you can't get enough displacement or HP out of the EX engines. You just can't make the power come on and build up quick enough. It's a loosing battle.

Myself, I'm hoping the 400EX will make me an all-around better trail machine once I finally get it dialed in. Low and slow it is already much better, which is nice. Now if I can get the rest ironed out.

you no at a race.. before the gate droppes how everyone just pinns those 450s and all you hear is them bounching off the rev limitor. well it dont matter if your in a race or not if you own a 450 and ride it the way its ment to be rode you hit that easy in any gear they wind out so fast its crazy! i no my freind when the gate drops he smoked rev limitor in every gear until the first corner.

your right they are like 2 strokes.

odog
08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
well i already own a 400 ex i no if i were to buy a new quad a 450 or 700 would be better im just trying to get the most out of what i have and in my area there are not that many quads that has anything more than just a pipe and filter. so if i race a 450 or 660 raptor around my area with my ex with the mods that i have i should give a good race and may be win

burnthesnikle
08-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by odog
well i already own a 400 ex i no if i were to buy a new quad a 450 or 700 would be better im just trying to get the most out of what i have and in my area there are not that many quads that has anything more than just a pipe and filter. so if i race a 450 or 660 raptor around my area with my ex with the mods that i have i should give a good race and may be win

yeah a 440 would be pretty good
my 440 stays right with my raptor
off the line the 440 is better

but if you want me to send plans on a 400 with a 500 motor just ask:devil:

red_rider_069
08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
but thats a yfz everyone knows that a yfz' is slow.:rolleyes: lol.. yea sure are..
when we had our lil races it was about 1 mile stright flat..
the banshee won 1 the yfz won 1..
i lost all haha
al pulled ahead when i reved it to the max in 5th :(
but in trails no was :D
reverse kicks *** haha

08-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
lol.. yea sure are..
when we had our lil races it was about 1 mile stright flat..
the banshee won 1 the yfz won 1..
i lost all haha
al pulled ahead when i reved it to the max in 5th :(
but in trails no was :D
reverse kicks *** haha

ride better so you dont need reverse lol i'm just messin

red_rider_069
08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
ride better so you dont need reverse lol i'm just messin lol
yea well well you big bully
whos says i use reverse :P
lol
its just there i mean..
you know
its jusst
you know there?
so yea!
haha
im jsut saying its a trail adavntage ;)

odog
08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
ok my kit should be here soon but i still have the factory carb. should i make a new carb. my next upgrad will i be losing power because i still have my factory carb.

ride_red666
08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by odog
ok my kit should be here soon but i still have the factory carb. should i make a new carb. my next upgrad will i be losing power because i still have my factory carb.

yes i recomend that you get a aftermarket carb with the increased exhaust and other mods you will need a bigger carb to cope