PDA

View Full Version : Yet another jetting thread

rcatvrider
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry about another jetting thread but I need some advice before I spend money.
I want to wake up my 400 a bit on the cheap. I plan to get an outerwears airbox lid, timing advance key, remove the choke, drill the stock exhaust,and remove the air filter cage. I have already ground the header welds.I was thinking of bumping up to 42 pilot but am unsure of which main to get. I am not sure how far above sea level I am but it is not substantial. I live pretty close to the shore and it's not super hilly here. Will I need to mess with the needle at all? Turning in the mixture screw makes it leaner correct?I later down the road plan to install a slip on and high flow intake as well. Will I need to change the pilot then or will the 42 do? Do you guys think these mods will hold me off for a while? I mostly like low-mid power, I'm running a 13 tooth front sprocket and there's only one short straight where I ride where I hit mid 4th. I just would like a bit more snappiness and get through the gears a bit faster.

rcatvrider
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone?

leasureryan
08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
please don't drill your stock pipe. It actually loses power from doing that. It's just not designed that way. There are dyno sheets to prove it. With just those few simple mods, you won't have to increase jeting much at all. Maybe one or 2 sizes on the main, and I doubt you will need to change the pilot. You need a full exhaust system before you will have to jet much.

rcatvrider
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I was going to get a 42 pilot because I am removing the choke.

leasureryan
08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
nope.....honestly....you are a long ways from needing a 42 pilot bro. Trust me. Removing that little choke plate ain't gonna make a damn bit of differance. Doing any of these minor little mods isn't going to be like fliping a light switch power wise. You won't relly notice much differance

08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
nope.....honestly....you are a long ways from needing a 42 pilot bro. Trust me. Removing that little choke plate ain't gonna make a damn bit of differance. Doing any of these minor little mods isn't going to be like fliping a light switch power wise. You won't relly notice much differance

the choke mod is pretty good its noticeable for sure. Not like a whoa but you can tell. The header welds some are really bad some look almost perfect like how mine were. I didnt do that much grinding because they didnt need it. Why not get free HP if you can. Every bit helps.

400ex28
08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
where's these dyno sheets?

08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
where's these dyno sheets?

for???

400ex28
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
for???

please don't drill your stock pipe. It actually loses power from doing that.

Just curious.

08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
oh i thought you were asking for dyno sheets proving the choke increases power which i dont know if there are any

rcatvrider
08-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm going with a 42 to make it easier to start seeing we have cold winters. That seems to be what people do in colder areas. One side of the header was pretty bad, but on both I removed over 1/16 of material. I think my bike is a bit lean as it is. It's tough to start and takes a while to start up. I read that could be because of lean jetting, and seeing the bike only has like 50 hours on it and has been like that since I owned it I cant think of anything else.

aust465
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey I am new to jetting and would like to know where is the best place to buy the pilot jet from. Bought some from pjmotorsports on e-bay but he has not shipped them yet and I am needing the #42 pilot. Thanks for any responses.

rcatvrider
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Bumping up my old thread for an update. I'm thinking of getting a couple cheap mods for christmas and need some suggestions on jetting. I'm only gonna order a couple jets so I want it to be as close as possible. I'm going to get a uni filter, timing advance key, and outerwears airbox lid. No pipe yet. I was thinking a 152 main? Sound alright?

ti2ibal1
12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I've got a brand new Outerwear airbox cover out in the garage if you want one cheaper than retail. I bought it, but decided not to use it. PM me if you're interested.

As for the jetting, I.ve got the mods listed in my sig and am running the stock pilot and a 155 main. It's a little hard starting when it's cold out, but it runs like a champ and the plug is perfect brown. (I am utilizing the stock lid with the Uni filter.)

rcatvrider
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Well if you have the lid on with a pipe, then I should probably be around 152-155 without a lid but no pipe i guess. It's cold here in the winter and with the choke it's hard to start. I want to remove the choke so I was planning on installing a 42 pilot for ease of starting, at least for the winter then take it out in the summer.