PDA

View Full Version : Strategies to offset cost of gas?

Keystone_Rider
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Even though the cost of gas is coming down some, gas is still relatively expensive. I've read where some riders and racers are not traveling to trails, tracks and events due to the cost of gas. Even I have cut back traveling to my favorite places because of the gas prices.
Anyone here do anything to offset the cost of gas such as part time jobs on top of full time jobs, or gave up other hobbies such as golfing, fishing, etc to use the money for riding? I've been trying to find ways to come up with extra money to pay for quad expenses. The way the economy is to this day, I know we all gotta watch how we spend our money on recreational use. I got my family collecting aluminum cans to cash in since certain metals are at their highest per lb. or ounce. Too bad I don't have thousands of lbs of copper laying around...lol.

08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
people down here would steal those huge rolls of copper line contruction sites and stuff would have. Of course thats illegal and something you shouldnt do. If you go riding try car pooling or something like take another friend or rider and have the chip in for gas. That way its more fun and cheaper. Dont do burnouts or take off fast while driving lol try and drive more steady to get to your speed instead of gunning it to get up there faster. Dont rev more than you have to while driving just go to where the car can shift into the highest gear at the speed your going to drive.

ZeroLogic
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't ride as much. If your going to a track, go with buddies and split the cost of gas.

redrocker
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I do the speed limit now to and from work
that helps alot

Warnerade
08-12-2008, 07:49 PM
dont drive like a retard:)

400exrider707
08-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
dont drive like a retard:)

Exactly!

Since I myself can NOT stop driving like a retard, I'm putting this on my truck... www.vegistroke.com :cool:

JRP
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Exactly!

Since I myself can NOT stop driving like a retard, I'm putting this on my truck... www.vegistroke.com :cool:

i would like to know more about that stuff. We drive a gmc 3500 dually and it kills on fuel, even with the chip, exhaust, and intake. lol

JRP
08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
well nvm, just noticed its only for fords, wack

wilkin250r
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I drive my motorcycle whenever I can, 51mpg. I only get about 17 with the truck, so I've cut my gas bill by almost 2/3. That's the equivalent of paying $1.30 a gallon.

I also got a part-time job working for my father, he owns a landscaping business. Now I don't have any days off :(

400exrider707
08-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I drive my motorcycle whenever I can, 51mpg. I only get about 17 with the truck, so I've cut my gas bill by almost 2/3. That's the equivalent of paying $1.30 a gallon.

I also got a part-time job working for my father, he owns a landscaping business. Now I don't have any days off :(

My buddy bought a bike for this reason and once you add in how often tires need to be replaced and maintainence on the bike, it's not that much better.

400exrider707
08-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JRP
well nvm, just noticed its only for fords, wack

check out www.frybrid.com and PM me if you want any more info, I feel like a guru on the subject at this point I've done enough research.

honda4life72
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
we were gunna do the veggie stuff also but then all the restraunts around here have found out about it and are charging 2 buxs a gallon for the oil. :eek2:

Keystone_Rider
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I talked to my wife and she has been making some money doing something online. you can click on this link and read all about it. It's better than nothing and she does make money to help pay for little things. http://hits4pay.com/members/index.cgi?Jennifer17233
If you guys don't feel like doing it, have your wife or g/f do it. every penny helps, right?

400exrider707
08-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by honda4life72
we were gunna do the veggie stuff also but then all the restraunts around here have found out about it and are charging 2 buxs a gallon for the oil. :eek2:

$2 a gallon still seems a lot better than $4.50+ though doesn't it?

<DRS>GPF
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by honda4life72

i didnt think that was being allowed in most states without the seller paying a tax for the sale of a fuel.

otherwise giving it away for free was an alternative to paying a company to take it for reclamation.

400exrider707
08-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
i didnt think that was being allowed in most states without the seller paying a tax for the sale of a fuel.

otherwise giving it away for free was an alternative to paying a company to take it for reclamation.

technically the restaurant paid for the oil and are selling it as just that, not as a fuel. The restaurant doesn't "know" what you're using it for.

It is technically illegal to use on the road since you're not paying an on road fuel tax, but with the WVO kits, you still need to buy diesel for the main tank on the truck, as it needs to be started and shut off on diesel pump fuel, so if you want to get really technical, the WVO is just a fuel extender and to my knowledge that is NOT illegal.

Running Bio-diesel is illegal.

Running Blended WVO is illegal.

With my vegistroke kit, if they ever dip my tank on my truck, all they're going to get is pump diesel.