PDA

View Full Version : base gasket question.

justin1022
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
is there any possible way to put that base gsket on upside down.? it isnt sticking out anywere or anything so i am just wondering if it could possibly be upside down because she leaks oil like crazy! and the bolts are tight tight tight. you no those rivits that is what i am wondering about because if it is in upside down then there is a hole for that rivot but if its upside down the riviot wont be in the hole. if you no what i mean.

drew416ex
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
no it can only go one way

justin1022
08-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
no it can only go one way

hm well then maybe its the gasket were my clutch basket is cuz i pulled that off and it might of dryed out or somthing can i make it wit sylicone?

08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
you did a rebuild right? did u replace all ure gaskits?

Honda#4
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
A head gasket is the one that has the rivets not the base gasket.

gojk
08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Send us a pic of the leak.

I have never ran a base gasket(just gasket maker junk) and have never had a cylinder base leak.

jeepthing07
08-13-2008, 01:44 AM
did you install the big rubber O-ring around the sleeve where the base gasket sits?

hypersnyper6947
08-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Depending on where your leak is i used liquid gasket on my right (clutch) side cover and it worked great.

justin1022
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jeepthing07
did you install the big rubber O-ring around the sleeve where the base gasket sits?

no.... i was comparing them and the old cylinder had a grove for that oring and the new one didnt. so i thought it didnt need it. should i pull it apart and slap it in and see if it stops?

gojk
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
no.... i was comparing them and the old cylinder had a grove for that oring and the new one didnt. so i thought it didnt need it. should i pull it apart and slap it in and see if it stops?

I run without the oring. I don't think that will stop the leak. Where is it leaking from? The front of the cylinder? Have the cases ever been split?

justin1022
08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by gojk
I run without the oring. I don't think that will stop the leak. Where is it leaking from? The front of the cylinder? Have the cases ever been split?

cases have never been split i would get you a video of it and will tonight but for now i will describe it as best as i can.. it was leaking all around. not to bad though only from one spot were the clutch cable conects to the engine with that mounting braket and to bolts go through well it comes from the right side of that and that grove were the oil filter is it runs right along that. and once i tightened the bolts up the rest stoped leaking. it is a tight squeeze though and i cant really tell if it is coming from my base gasket or the side casing.

08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
did you replace all the gaskits after rebuild. they can only be used once.?

gojk
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
cases have never been split i would get you a video of it and will tonight but for now i will describe it as best as i can.. it was leaking all around. not to bad though only from one spot were the clutch cable conects to the engine with that mounting braket and to bolts go through well it comes from the right side of that and that grove were the oil filter is it runs right along that. and once i tightened the bolts up the rest stoped leaking. it is a tight squeeze though and i cant really tell if it is coming from my base gasket or the side casing.
That is on the cam chain side. Did you by chance block the oil passage on that side. I bet if it is blocked it would cause it to leak. Check the oil passage on the top and bottom of the cylinder for blockage.

justin1022
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by gojk
That is on the cam chain side. Did you by chance block the oil passage on that side. I bet if it is blocked it would cause it to leak. Check the oil passage on the top and bottom of the cylinder for blockage.

um i checked the holes there and there open i will blow out the lines in a bit. i am not sure though you canot tell if its comeing from the cylinder or the side gasket.