View Full Version : 05 stalls in water crossing

triple b
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
My Father-In-Laws 05 400ex stalls in water crossings. If he creeps through it will be fine....but any sort of splash it will die. Then it will start right up and run fine.

No water is getting into the intake.......
Water does splash onto the battery, solenoid, and regulator / rectifier

Out here in the So Cal deserts we do not get to many water crossings but all three times he has made any kind of splash she dies......Are there any tricks that you mud boggers & water crossing guys do?

Thanks

fastredrider44
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Clean all the electrical connector real good, then seal them up with di-electric grease.

sideways
08-12-2008, 07:42 PM
i had a problem on mine that did almost the same thing. turned out it was my carb boot ( the part that connects to the engine) there were cracks in it that were sucking in steam when water hit the engine. check for cacks or leaks after the carb.
keep the snorkel on
seal all electrical connections with di-electric grase (as mentioned) and heat shrink tubing

86 Quad R
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
try putting a touch of lithium on the spark plug boot to seal it off from the water.

triple b
08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks........
I will give the di-electric, heat shink and spark plug boot grease a try and let you know how it works........If we ever find water in the desert again
Thanks again