PDA

View Full Version : '05 Crank bearing question/advice

CNC_guy
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Every once and a while I see on here where there are problems with the 05 crank bearings.

I bought my leftover 05 in July of 06. I only trail ride. I typically ride once a month in the summer for 3-4 hours. I would say that I ride aggressively and I change oil every other ride. I've never seen shavings in the oil.

So, my questions are:

Do I just continue to ride and look for shavings?

Should I take it to the dealer and get it fixed right away?

If I were to install an HRC kit does this eliminate the problem and will my reliability be hurt?

I love the 450R and that's why I chose it when I got back into riding. I'm all about reliability...I want to get on it and ride it and not have to worry about tuning this and setting that. I also want this thing to last. So, boardies, what route would you take in my situation?

400exrider707
08-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
Every once and a while I see on here where there are problems with the 05 crank bearings.

I bought my leftover 05 in July of 06. I only trail ride. I typically ride once a month in the summer for 3-4 hours. I would say that I ride aggressively and I change oil every other ride. I've never seen shavings in the oil.

So, my questions are:

Do I just continue to ride and look for shavings?

Should I take it to the dealer and get it fixed right away?

If I were to install an HRC kit does this eliminate the problem and will my reliability be hurt?

I love the 450R and that's why I chose it when I got back into riding. I'm all about reliability...I want to get on it and ride it and not have to worry about tuning this and setting that. I also want this thing to last. So, boardies, what route would you take in my situation?

How many hours are on the quad. I rode mine til it blew up, and it took a while with hard riding, but I was always on top of maintainence. If you'd rather not spend as much, I would wait til you get some down time and just replace the crank rod and make sure to get the updated one with the crank collar to prevent bearing wobble. That's my best advice, other than that, ride it til it blows is really your only other choice. There is no set time for a crank bearing to go bad, it will either work, or break.

CNC_guy
08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
The quad might have 50hrs on it.

Scro
08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I've owned two '04 models. I rode both of them hard every weekend and both had well over 50 hours. Neither of them had any issues with the crank bearing. It's kind of hit or miss as to whether or not your crank will let go - regardless of the maintenance. I changed my oil/filter after every ride.

The HRC won't hurt your reliability, and it won't help prevent crank bearing failure. It will provide quite a bit more power over stock though.

CNC_guy
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I understand crank bearings can just go at anytime.....I was under the impression that there was a more pronounced crank bearing problem with the 05's.

I guess my question about the HRC kit and the bearing failure is whether or not the HRC kit would have the updated crank bearing fix? It seems like there used to be a sticky on here about a fix.

Also, what all exactly is included in the HRC kit?

08-12-2008, 02:49 PM
If you have the money replace the crank. If not just pull the oil filter after every ride and check for metal.
The amount of hours doesn't matter. I have heard stories about them locking up on the first ride brand new out of the box.

warr72
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
TRX wasn't there a recall on one of the years for that problem? I thought it was the 05, but correct me if I am wrong.

CNC_guy
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Google is my friend.

For some reason I had it in my head that a new crank was included in the HRC kit. I actually think a buddy of mine got the HRC kit and went ahead and had a new crank installed while it was at the dealer. That's probably where I headed down that rabbit trail.

I think I'll take the chance for now and just keep checking for shavings. Hopefully I'll find shavings first and then I'll replace the crank and install the HRC kit while the quad is down. Thanks for the replies.

fastredrider44
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I could be wrong on this too, but I thought that they fixed the problem about halfway through 05. I was about at the point when i thought I had one of the later models. Just got my motor back from getting a new crank.

My advice, ride her til she blows. If you are on top of your maintenance like you say, hopefully, you will notice when she is about to go. And when she is, put a crank in it. Every once in a while, someone will come on here with a horror story of their rod going through the case.

staab08
08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
i have a 05 450r and my crank locked up after i put a 13:1 piston and Stage 2 Hotcam in it. it locked up solid even though i had the newer 05. i fixed it with a 470 bore cylinder and a +1 compression piston. i left my Stage 2 Hotcam in it and i have had no problems since then. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE 13:1 PISTON IN THE 05 450R! IT IS TOO MUCH COMPRESSION FOR THE CRANK ROD BEARING AND THAT IS WHAT CAUSED MINE TO LOCK UP!!!! Go with a bigger bore and a slightly higher compression it runs great and You will be very happy. a cam is also a very good idea while your in the motor anyway

08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
There wasn't a recall, but the some dealers were warranting them on a case by case basis.

jshtex
08-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I could be wrong on this too, but I thought that they fixed the problem about halfway through 05.

Thats the way I understand it as well.

I have an 05 that I bought new in the crate in December of 06, but I have no idea if it has the "updated" setup or not.

I have asked a few times but never really got an answer on this but does anyone who has the updated crank with the collar and seal know if it is possible to tell without splitting the cases if you have it or not.

I am willing to spend the money, if needed, to keep the engine from failing and costing us a race but I just want to know if it is needed.

Heck I would gladly pull the side covers and clutch basket etc. out of it if I could just look at it and see if i have the collar.

So, does anyone know if this is possible?

08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
None of the quads from the factory have the updated crank.

jshtex
08-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
None of the quads from the factory have the updated crank.

I don't mean this in a bad way but....

How do you know?

Scro
08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by staab08
i have a 05 450r and my crank locked up after i put a 13:1 piston and Stage 2 Hotcam in it. it locked up solid even though i had the newer 05. i fixed it with a 470 bore cylinder and a +1 compression piston. i left my Stage 2 Hotcam in it and i have had no problems since then. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE 13:1 PISTON IN THE 05 450R! IT IS TOO MUCH COMPRESSION FOR THE CRANK ROD BEARING AND THAT IS WHAT CAUSED MINE TO LOCK UP!!!! Go with a bigger bore and a slightly higher compression it runs great and You will be very happy. a cam is also a very good idea while your in the motor anyway

I ran a 14:1 for over a year on the stock crank without any issues. I was also running a CRF head gasket for a little extra compression.

08-14-2008, 08:37 AM
One of my friends works for Honda.

If you want to take yours a part and look you can see it without splitting the cases.