PDA

View Full Version : Padla Brat or triple buff?

USMC1STSGT
08-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I just bought an '88 250R (it's on the truck on its way to my house). Has a CT-310 kit (48 HP) and I will only be riding it on the dunes. I have been using Sand Skate II's for several years, but this time I am looking for the lightest tires out there. I have narrowed it down to Padla Brats or Skat Trak "triple buffs". I know that these tires are thin and I am OK with taking that risk, but my question is, are these tires about the same as far as durability?

I have read about 200 posts about tire size but I am still unsure of the size of tire to buy. I want to be able to drag race, on a recreational level.

(For the front, I think I will get the STU Razorbacks)

Thanks in advance!

mcboomport
08-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Are you going with 10" wheels or 8"?
I would recommend getting skat trak "Taller" Hauler 9 paddles on 10" wheels.. but, they are not the lightest. You should take advantage of where that bike shines on the sand, and its not going to be drag racing. You will be able to destroy some bikes out there, but that bike is going to outhandle the heck out of most anything on the sand.
I don't think your going to gain anything by going with the lightest paddle on that bike.

But,
If you go with an 8" wheel, it seems all the drag bikes up here have the skat traks. (the tires actually a different brand name on them buffed with paddles installed on them)
It all depends on what you want though, I am too biased on the handling of these bikes.

08-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I guess it all depends on how much you actually want to drag race. I'll give ya two scenarios and then my recommendation for each.

A. You spend the day drag racing and whipping up on 450's and occasionally cruise the dunes looking for your next target. I would recommend Skat Trak Extreme 21x12x8. The paddle number is up to you. 10 paddles will get you out of the hole faster but 8 paddles will give you more top end speed. Also, with a stock swingarm it will be easier to launch with an 8 paddle.

B. You spend most of your time carving up the dunes and occasionally cruise over to the strip to show them what a real quad looks like. I would recommend Skat Trak Edge 20x10x10 8 paddles.

Hope this helps.

All250R
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 8686
I guess it all depends on how much you actually want to drag race. I'll give ya two scenarios and then my recommendation for each.

A. You spend the day drag racing and whipping up on 450's and occasionally cruise the dunes looking for your next target. I would recommend Skat Trak Extreme 21x12x8. The paddle number is up to you. 10 paddles will get you out of the hole faster but 8 paddles will give you more top end speed. Also, with a stock swingarm it will be easier to launch with an 8 paddle.

B. You spend most of your time carving up the dunes and occasionally cruise over to the strip to show them what a real quad looks like. I would recommend Skat Trak Edge 20x10x10 8 paddles.

Hope this helps.

I think that sounds like good feedback. I'm a "B" guy when I head to Glamis. Though I don't like v-cut paddles. The 88 setup handles too well and the rear slides out too easy for me as it is. I put my weight a lot on the rear of the bike over straight 9 paddle Haulers. It's sooo fun. I've been running 20x10x10 with good success on roughly 48hp 269cc. 450's often get me on hole shots, but I usually pass them anyway.

USMC1STSGT
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, when I said I wanted to be "able" to drag race, its mostly within our group of about 15 bikes, so I will be mostly just cruising around. I dont spend too much time racing.

thanks

jdplowboy
08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I am pretty much in the same situation, except my 310 motor is in the shop being created. I just bought mowhawks for my 450r for front and I LOVE them. I also was not sure what to run on the back but like you mostly ride through the dunes and occasionally ride the hill. I'm thinking 20-10-10 haulers, leaning toward 8 paddle but may go 9, just don't want to over paddle.

havinnoj
08-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by mcboomport
Are you going with 10" wheels or 8"?
I would recommend getting skat trak "Taller" Hauler 9 paddles on 10" wheels.. but, they are not the lightest. You should take advantage of where that bike shines on the sand, and its not going to be drag racing. You will be able to destroy some bikes out there, but that bike is going to outhandle the heck out of most anything on the sand.
I don't think your going to gain anything by going with the lightest paddle on that bike.

But,
If you go with an 8" wheel, it seems all the drag bikes up here have the skat traks. (the tires actually a different brand name on them buffed with paddles installed on them)
It all depends on what you want though, I am too biased on the handling of these bikes.

Give self-substantiated advice next time. Hauler's are made from used ATV tires that are normally buffed (half, bead to bead, or triple buff). If they aren't buffed or half buff then you will see various tire brands.

A Taller Hauler is large of a paddle for this single cylinder motor, and 9 blades of Taller is too much. Not to mention, handling is better with an 8" rear because the more floation allows a larger footprint over ruts meaning less pull, better tracking, and a smoother ride. A larger sidewall doesn't get stuck in soft sand when trying to start up hill. Get as light as possible, keeping rotational mass low, allowing for fastest acceleration.

You'll be happy with a 70 r/o 8p 22x11x8 Hauler or Extreme if you like keeping your speed up on long hills and easier donuts. A 9p Extreme or Hauler will reduce top speed on the hill but will hook up quicker for play riding, gaining traction. You have to work a little more with this tire to break the back end free. You'll be sorry if you get 20's on 10's.

mcboomport
08-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry, your right about the Taller hauler, I meant hauler Extremes. It comes down to personal preference. I bought my bike and it had 10 paddles, then I tried 8. I hated 10 paddles, and didnt like 8 paddles on my bike. I ended up going with 9 extremes and I love the setup now. I still don't think you'll be disapointed with 20x10x10's.